TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Tigerlily. Offline
Rawr
I can't get enough

Name: Cheye

Scared - September 5th 2012, 09:13 AM

Well to keep out the triggering details, I majorly overdosed 4-5 nights in a row Aug 19th-22 (I say 4-5 because of the times). Well most of it was just OTC medications, with a very small amount of prescription medications. Anyway, I told my mom the morning of the 23rd I think, and anyway, she got really upset and said I was lucky I woke up with the amounts I took the night before because I kept gradually taking more every night. Anyway, I haven't OD'ed since but she says we are going to see a doctor to make sure I didn't wreck my liver/kidneys/any other vital organs. Well I've felt not the best since obviously, but would I know by now if I had any serious damage? I mean, I'm unsure if I do or not, but if it was serious, wouldn't I know nearly 100% that I had done serious damage? Either way, tomorrow we're scheduling an appointment, but I'm very scared to tell my doctor, plus I have other things I need to ask about, but this is the major reason for it, which only I and my mom know, my aunt who's scheduling the appointment doesn't know.

Also what kind of tests do they do to see if you've damaged organs like your kidneys, liver and heart? I'm pretty scared honestly about the whole thing. I'm scared to tell the doctor that a year after he suggested I go back to the therapist, that I didn't; that only a month after he prescribed me antidepressants, that I stopped taking them; that I might have serious organ damage; what he might do when he finds out that I tried to kill myself 5 times in less than a week. Can he send me to an inpatient unit for that? We can't afford the only inpatient unit for teens in the area. If he can send me, would he only send me if I was still suicidal? Any help or answers are appreciated. Whether it's from online, an educated guess, or your own experience, even just some support.

Resident old person, back from much needed, multiple year hiatus.

HelpLINK Mentor(1/28/11)Live Help Operator(5/28/11)Social Networking Team(2/9/12)Rape and Abuse Forum Moderator(2/11/12)Articles Team(7/17/12)Sex and Puberty Forum Moderator(7/28/12)Fashion and Style Forum Moderator(9/23/12)Chat Mod(10/13/12)Buddy(11/18/12)
  Send a message via MSN to Tigerlily. Send a message via Yahoo to Tigerlily. Send a message via Skype™ to Tigerlily. 
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Music Offline
Thoroughly medicated
I've been here a while

Name: Richard

Re: Scared - September 5th 2012, 12:58 PM

The way they can check most of those organs is through a blood test, although they might feel them as-well. Checking your heart might take a listen and an imaging test, it's all quite normal as far as testing goes. You may not be able to tell if you've damaged your organs, I damaged my liver during a suicide attempt and I can't tell at all.
Yes your doctor can send you to inpatient or intensive outpatient therapy for multiple suicide attempts although what they do is totally up to them. They might just refer you to a psychiatrist and see what they think of the whole thing.

In terms of you stopping your medication and not going to a therapist, that's actually very common among people with mental health problems (including me and pretty much everyone I've spoken to). I wouldn't beat yourself up about it and I doubt your doctor will either. They're usually more about finding ways to help us than to scold us for things we haven't done.

Member since 2005
  Send a message via MSN to Music  
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Never Forget Hope
I can't get enough

Name: Kelly

Re: Scared - September 5th 2012, 01:40 PM

Rick said that all very well!

I agree the testing is pretty routine things and nothing to really worry about. You might not know you have damaged something, just depends on what was damaged and how it was damaged and the severity.

The doctor could send you inpatient for a recent suicide attempt, yes. But it depends on the doctor. He will also want to know why you didn't go see the therapist when he suggested, but he shouldn't be mad or anything. That's not what they are there for.

I also stopped taking my meds once, which is when I attempted suicide and ended up in the mental health hospital. It happens. Also, talk to your mom about this. Get her more involved since it sounds like she cares a lot about you. She can help remind you to take your medicine and keep an eye out for you if your moods change. She can also go to the therapist with you if it helps to have someone there, even if during the session you ask her to leave the room (my mom did this for the first meetings with new doctors because I have trouble trusting people).

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Re: Scared - September 5th 2012, 08:06 PM

The times I attempted suicide, I had blood tests done and ECGs etc and most times, found out the pills had affected my bloods and liver and thats why I was put on treatment. Once, I had severe pains and had to go for an urgent ultra sound scan too.

However treatment is normally required within 3 days or so after the overdose. After that amount of time (I think) things like being put on drips and so on won't work and it will lead to more long term damage which I am not completely sure of the treatment.

I'm sure everything will be okay so try not to worry

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Tigerlily. Offline
Rawr
I can't get enough

Re: Scared - September 7th 2012, 10:55 AM

Okay well I have an appointment for the 20th, so then I'll have to tell him about the attempt as well as other stuff I need to talk to him about. Thanks for the information guys, and like I said, I have other stuff I need to bring up too, more embarrassing stuff than I'd like to freely say on a teen forum :/ But it's very important that I get it checked out too because it's seriously complicating my life. I'm really scared though about the whole him being able to put me in intensive care because there's only one close facility, it's a lockdown facility and it's nearly $1,500 a night, and they don't take insurance. I could probably talk him down into just making me do outpatient, I hope so anyway, or maybe getting financial help for some sort for the inpatient. But anyway thanks all of you, nice to know it's just pretty much checkable through a blood test, those I'm used to and I'm long over due for one anyway because of a mysterious medical condition :/ God, I hope I didn't completely mess up my body more than it already was, I'm seeing this doctor for like 5 different things.

HelpLINK Mentor(1/28/11)Live Help Operator(5/28/11)Social Networking Team(2/9/12)Rape and Abuse Forum Moderator(2/11/12)Articles Team(7/17/12)Sex and Puberty Forum Moderator(7/28/12)Fashion and Style Forum Moderator(9/23/12)Chat Mod(10/13/12)Buddy(11/18/12)
  Send a message via MSN to Tigerlily. Send a message via Yahoo to Tigerlily. Send a message via Skype™ to Tigerlily. 
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
SparklingWine Offline
Normality, my friends.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Lynds :)

Re: Scared - September 7th 2012, 01:59 PM

Cheye, don't feel bad about seeing the doctor for five different things. Ive done that before
I really don't have much to add except you have my support and you should let me know how the appt gOes. If you want to ever talk, I'm here for you. Please don't hesitate. K? K.

Send a message via AIM to SparklingWine Send a message via MSN to SparklingWine  
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Tigerlily. Offline
Rawr
I can't get enough

Re: Scared - September 20th 2012, 11:09 PM

Okay, just wanted to update you all. Had my appointment today. He's scheduled a blood test, he doesn't think anything is up in that means by looking at me, but he's still going to do a blood test to be sure. I'm back on antidepressants, a new and cheaper brand. He also told me to get back into counseling so I'll be doing that too as often as we can afford anyway. So yeah, now I'm on generic Prozac, I'm taking my first dose tonight to see if it makes me drowsy, causes insomnia, or doesn't affect my sleeping.

Closed Thread