TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
One of those old people ;)
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Amber

My Cigarette, my friend - April 13th 2009, 02:45 AM

How do you feel about a friend who has to go everywhere with you? Not only does he tag along all the time, but since he is so offensive and vulgar, you become unwelcome when with him. He has a peculiar odor that sticks to you wherever you go. Others think both of you stink.
He controls you totally. When he says jump, you jump. Sometimes in the middle of a blizzard or storm, he wants you to come to the store and pick him up. You would give your spouse hell if he or she did that to you all the time, but you can't argue with your friend. Sometimes, when you are out at a movie or play he says he wants you to go stand in the lobby with him and miss important scenes. Since he calls all the shots in your life, you go. Your friend doesn't like your choice of clothing either. Instead of politely telling you that you have lousy taste, he burns little holes in these items so you will want to throw them out. Sometimes, he tires of the furniture and gets rid of it too. Occasionally, he gets really nasty and decides the whole house must go.
He gets pretty expensive to support. Not only is his knack of property destruction costly, but you must pay to keep him with you. In fact, he will cost you thousands of dollars over your lifetime. And you can count on one thing, he will never pay you a penny in return.
Often at picnics you watch others playing vigorous activities and having lots of fun doing them. But your friend won't let you. He doesn't believe in physical activity. In his opinion, you are too old to have that kind of fun. So he kind of sits on your chest and makes it difficult for you to breathe. Now you don't want to go off and play with other people when you can't breathe, do you?
Your friend does not believe in being healthy. He is really repulsed by the thought of you living a long and productive life. So every chance he gets he makes you sick. He helps you catch colds and flu. Not just by running out in the middle of the lousy weather to pick him up at the store. He is more creative than that. He carries thousands of poisons with him which he constantly blows in your face. When you inhale some of them, they wipe out cilia in your lungs which would have helped you prevent these diseases.
But colds and flu are just his form of child's play. He especially likes diseases that slowly cripple you—like emphysema. He considers this disease great. Once he gets you to have this, you will give up all your other friends, family, career goals, activities—everything. You will just sit home and caress him, telling him what a great friend he is while you desperately gasp for air.
But eventually your friend tires of you. He decides he no longer wishes to have your company. Instead of letting you go your separate ways, he decides to kill you. He has a wonderful arsenal of weapons behind him. In fact, he has been plotting your death since the day you met him. He picked all the top killers in society and did everything in his power to ensure you would get one of them. He overworked your heart and lungs. He clogged up the arteries to your heart, brain, and every other part of your body. In case you were too strong to succumb to this, he constantly exposed you to cancer causing agents. He knew he would get you sooner or later.
Well, this is the story of your "friend," your cigarette. No real friend would do all this to you. Cigarettes are the worst possible enemies you ever had. They are expensive, addictive, socially unacceptable, and deadly. Consider all this and NEVER TAKE ANOTHER PUFF!

I am trying to quit smoking. Anyone else trying to quit? Any good tips? I have already joined www.becomeanex.org.

"omg i might be pregnant!?!?!"

"ok..calm down..pee on your keyboard...nope its negative"

(#2 (permalink)) Old
WashoutThePain Offline
=]
Outside, huh?

Name: Ask Away!

Re: My Cigarette, my friend - April 15th 2009, 01:41 AM

This is true, smoking is awful for your health and you have already realized this which is half the battle when trying to quit! I hear that chewing the special gum can be VERY helpful with urges. You can also distract yourself when you want to smoke. Try exercising, or something to keep you moving and active. With each day/week try to reduce the amount so finally you will end up free of all addictions Keep reminding yourself of the consequences of smoking. Write on the cigarette box reasons you want to quit, so before you pick up another one you can see exactly why you DON'T want to smoke. Constantly remind yourself of it's effects. Keep strong and never give up! There are always people to talk to through urges and those that understand.

Take care and message me anytime!
-Amy

(#3 (permalink)) Old
One of those old people ;)
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Amber

Re: My Cigarette, my friend - April 15th 2009, 02:58 AM

I set the 20th of this month as my quit date and have been cutting down more and more. the nicorrette gum, patch, and losenge are all about forty dollars for a box and i don't have that kind of cash, so im going to have to cold turkey it.

"omg i might be pregnant!?!?!"

"ok..calm down..pee on your keyboard...nope its negative"

(#4 (permalink)) Old
WashoutThePain Offline
=]
Outside, huh?

Name: Ask Away!

Re: My Cigarette, my friend - April 15th 2009, 03:08 AM

Well, having a set goal is a GREAT thing. And it has been done many many times before without the aid of gums and such. You can do this Keep a positive attitude and believe in yourself. Also, slip-ups happen as well, but that's when you have to get back on and keeping fighting. I would think screaming might help when you get a really bad urge and you can't smoke.

Take care!
(Message me anytime)
-Amy

(#5 (permalink)) Old
jessica1122 Offline
Michael's Girl
Average Joe

Name: Jessica

Re: My Cigarette, my friend - April 20th 2009, 01:37 AM

the patch and the gum and all that crap dont work. the addictive part of a cigarette is the nicotene, and all those alternatives do is pour nicotene in ur body, so if u were to stop using them, u'd still have nicotene cravings and all that stuff.
my mom tried it, and it did no good, i know several people who have said the same

~~Jessica and Michael~~

We started dating 11/22/08
He told me he loved me on his 8th birthday
And i never believed he still would
After all that time....
until the day that changed my life
  Send a message via Yahoo to jessica1122  
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
iHEAVENn Offline
.:Try Forever:.
I've been here a while

Name: Amy

Re: My Cigarette, my friend - April 22nd 2009, 02:26 AM

Maybe get some regular gum and try that when you get a craving?

My dad also said Lemon heads worked for him when He wanted to quit.

.:6:21 a.m.:.
.:12-01-2007:.
.:Logan Jacob:.

Baby HunterComing 7/12/14
My Everything

I support Project Linus!
Let Go Laughing
"It took a pair of soft blue eyes, and a smile so sweet.. to make me reach up high, and really dig down deep.."

Closed Thread