TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Make Believe Offline
makes everything 20% cooler.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kayleigh

Water - September 23rd 2012, 06:45 PM

Ever since I quit smoking I started drinking a LOT of water. It just give me something to do with my hands and mouth. We were also only allowed to drink water in class in college, we weren't allowed pop.

For the past few weeks I've been drinking much more than normal. I'm peeing constantly. I'm constantly re-filling up my pint glass with water in the house. I also carry bottles of water around with me if I'm outside of the house.

You're meant to drink 8 glasses a day, I must drink more than that

I feel thirsty even though I probably shouldn't be.

Should I calm down with the water?

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."
  Send a message via MSN to Make Believe  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Jesus Christ. Offline
Führer of the sausage people
I can't get enough

Re: Water - September 23rd 2012, 07:12 PM

There's no need to drink less, drinking lots of water is perfectly healthy.

Though, if you're due to go on a long water then it may be a good idea to hold off on the water for a bit.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Validity Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Jay
Location: In the deep, dark, treacherous place called my mind. Oh and Australia!

Re: Water - September 25th 2012, 07:56 AM

Hey, drinking water has no risks of any kind, so it's perfectly normal. It depends on how long you smoked but it could cause drymouth and your constant need for water might be able to quench that. Oh, right, forgot to mention, after being addicted to nicotine you would need a new addiction. That's where the water comes in.

Haha,
happy drinking
Jay.

Buddy since 18/11/12 LiveHelp Operator since 22/12/12 Add me on Facebook Jay Louise Shorrock!
A whisper in the dark; is better than silence in the light. -Courtesy of your's truly.
My blog is open to all, those whom are easily triggered avoid, it's a story about a girl and her life and how far she has come over the years. If you read it, I hope it inspires you to keep fighting and to NEVER give up!

When you can no longer think of a reason to continue, you must think of a reason to start over.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Make Believe Offline
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Water - September 25th 2012, 09:48 AM

I suppose water is the crappest thing in the world to be addicted to :')

I'm just sick of peeing loads I drink it without thinking.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Validity Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Jay
Location: In the deep, dark, treacherous place called my mind. Oh and Australia!

Re: Water - September 25th 2012, 09:54 AM

Haha, it's healthier than junk food in reality it probably is the best thing to be addicted to. I usually drink less than three sips and that is only with my meds :/

Jay.

Buddy since 18/11/12 LiveHelp Operator since 22/12/12 Add me on Facebook Jay Louise Shorrock!
A whisper in the dark; is better than silence in the light. -Courtesy of your's truly.
My blog is open to all, those whom are easily triggered avoid, it's a story about a girl and her life and how far she has come over the years. If you read it, I hope it inspires you to keep fighting and to NEVER give up!

When you can no longer think of a reason to continue, you must think of a reason to start over.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Cullen Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Water - September 25th 2012, 10:12 AM

Drinking lots of water is good for you Remember to eat enough though, drinking so much water might cause your tummy to feel full so you don't want to eat. But you should eat.

The Quiet Things That No One Ever Knows...
Keep The Blood In Your Head, And Keep Your Feet On The Ground.

Nov 29th 2010 <3

Do I Divide And Fall Apart?
My Bright's Too Slight To Hold Back All My Dark.
  Send a message via MSN to Cullen  
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Never Forget Hope
I can't get enough

Name: Kelly

Re: Water - September 25th 2012, 02:46 PM

Water shouldn't cause you to pee as much as drinking a soda would. The reasoning is because our bodies can absorb most of the water and not soda. So, if you are really urinating that much, I'm wondering how much you drink at a time.

There is such a thing as water intoxication, which can be deadly. MOST people should only drink one glass of water per hour. Otherwise, our bodies have trouble absorbing and/or expelling it quickly enough. It really depends on how much you sweat and how active you are.

When I first tried to quit drinking soda (which I grew up on since I was a baby, so it was hard!), I drank a lot of water. I also had to use the restroom often because I was drinking TOO MUCH water. I was getting bloated from water retention. So, I would drink a glass of water, such (not chew) on a piece of hard candy. When it was gone, I would allow myself another glass of water. It helped me moderate it better, and my body was able to keep up more that way.

So, be careful how much you drink as it is possible to get dizzy, confused, fall into a coma, and possibly even die due to water intoxication. Just try to moderate yourself, as you really should only drink when you are thirsty, not bored or as a distraction. I would suggest finding other things that work for you and if not switching entirely to that, then switching between the two.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Make Believe Offline
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Water - September 25th 2012, 05:08 PM

That's a good idea I may try that. It's weird since water's so tasteless so I don't know why I like it so much.

I stopped drinking so much water when I went on holidays to Somerset because the tap water there tasted like baking soda ew.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Never Forget Hope
I can't get enough

Name: Kelly

Re: Water - September 25th 2012, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan Shunpike View Post
That's a good idea I may try that. It's weird since water's so tasteless so I don't know why I like it so much.

I stopped drinking so much water when I went on holidays to Somerset because the tap water there tasted like baking soda ew.
Yuck!

Water just feels good. It's natural. Our bodies love it. It's great for your mind. The simple flavorless aspect is appealing. Sometimes the minerals in the water taste good, even though we seem to taste 'nothing'.

It's definitely wonderful you are drinking a lot. Just have to be careful when you are drinking even when you aren't thirsty.

Some alternate ideas to distract your mouth and hands --

Mouth:
Hard candy
Gum
Wax candies so you can chew them for awhile (don't swallow)
Popsicle
ICE (my favorite. Crush some ice, chew or suck on them. Lasts a little while and is like eating BETTER water )

Hands:
Carry something in your hands - pen, pencil, purse/wallet
Play with a ring or bracelet on your finger/wrist

Just to give you a few ideas

(#10 (permalink)) Old
MindBodySpirit Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Not Michael

Re: Water - September 30th 2012, 04:47 AM

Maybe you're overhydrated. Really, it's quite possible. If your urine is clear, you've had enough water. Whether that's from 4 cups of water, or 12 that's usually a good indication.

If you feel constantly thirsty when you've been drinking water, you might be lacking the electrolytes to go with it. I'd explain the whole process of glomerular filtration, if it would help you understand, but I'd rather not get into it.

Moral is, being overhydrated IS possible.

Closed Thread