TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Stay determined
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Cara

Citalopram and Jaw Clenching - September 25th 2012, 11:05 AM

Hi,

Okay so I started citalopram for my anxiety about a month ago now and all the side effects seem to have gone away EXCEPT the fact that I clench my jaw a lot now.

It's really hurting my teeth and jaw and I'm worried it's damaging parts of my teeth too since they've become a lot more sensitive since this started.

Has anyone had this before? This is the only side effect I really have so if there's a way I can combat it without switching to a new type of meds then it'd be really helpful.

I did look it up and some people say night guards help but I seem to do it during the day unconsciously too so I'm not sure how much a night guard would help.

Thanks!

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Never Forget Hope
I can't get enough

Name: Kelly

Re: Citalopram and Jaw Clenching - September 25th 2012, 02:38 PM

There are bite guards that can be worn during the day, just need to be taken out for eating.

Also, I see many people saying it turned out to be Anxiety and not from the Citalopram. Could this be what it is for you considering you do it without noticing? Generally if it were from the medicine, it would be an involuntary movement from your muscles spasming, which is very noticeable.

So I would see if you can figure out if you anxious about ANYTHING good or bad. Find ways to exert your anxiety, rather than keeping it in and clenching your jaw, and see how that goes. If that doesn't work, you can always see your doctor about temporarily getting on an anxiety medication to see if it would help or not, then decide how long to stay on it if it does help.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Stay determined
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Citalopram and Jaw Clenching - September 25th 2012, 03:37 PM

Kelly, Citalopram is anxiety medicine

I did google and found quite a few results from people saying they'd had this too when they started but they said it went away with all the other side effects.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Never Forget Hope
I can't get enough

Re: Citalopram and Jaw Clenching - September 25th 2012, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Morrigan View Post
Kelly, Citalopram is anxiety medicine

I did google and found quite a few results from people saying they'd had this too when they started but they said it went away with all the other side effects.
It is actually an anti-depressant that is sometimes used as an anti-anxiety medication, even though it is off-label (FDA hasn't approved it to be used for anxiety, though it is not illegal). So I assumed you were on it for depression.

So you can still have an anxiety medicine added to it if you are on it for Depression and not specifically anxiety. I was on Citalopram while taking Xanax.

I also googled and most people on one forum had said it turned out to be anxiety and once they realized this and started treating the anxiety, it went away (but it was brought on by the medication).

Either way, speak with your doctor. Explain you like the medicine as it is working and you do not want to switch, but see if there is anything they can suggest or do.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Lizzie Offline
Volunteering Officer
Outside, huh?

Name: Lizzie

Re: Citalopram and Jaw Clenching - September 25th 2012, 07:39 PM

Jaw clenching can be a symptom of anxiety and that is a much more likely choice than the Citalopram. So, you might be noticing an improvement in your anxiety not because the medication is working, but because you are now channeling your anxiety through jar clenching, which can lead to more serious problems like TMJ. I highly suggest you talk to your doctor and let them know what is going on.

Interested in becoming a staff member? Feel free to PM me, or apply HERE!
::Teen Help Member Since 2006::
::Staff Member for ten years::
~Blessed Be~

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Music Offline
Thoroughly medicated
I've been here a while

Name: Richard

Re: Citalopram and Jaw Clenching - September 27th 2012, 12:06 AM

I agree with Lizzie, I think it's more likely caused by anxiety than the medicine. I do the same thing when I get anxious, even if I don't notice right away. I'll grind and grind and grind my teeth in a situation that would make me anxious even if I don't feel all that anxious (like if I'm meeting someone for the first time, or I think I'll be late, etc.)
I've found that chewing gum helps a lot with that though (but I'm allergic to gum )
Anything that keeps your jaw busy really. Sometimes I'll find myself chewing my cheek or tongue, but I'm pretty sure that's just as bad as grinding my teeth anyways!

Member since 2005
  Send a message via MSN to Music  
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
i_like_black Offline
Awesomesauce.
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Jess

Re: Citalopram and Jaw Clenching - September 27th 2012, 04:36 AM

I clench my jaw really badly for no particular reason and don't usually notice until I've given myself a headache. However, I found that (during the day) chewing gum is an excellent solution, and unlike Rick, I'm not allergic to it.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Stay determined
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Citalopram and Jaw Clenching - September 27th 2012, 04:10 PM

But before I started the meds I was heaps more anxious and this was never a problem.

It only started the day after I started the meds so are you honestly telling me there's no connection between the two? Since it seems like a huge coincidence.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Lizzie Offline
Volunteering Officer
Outside, huh?

Name: Lizzie

Re: Citalopram and Jaw Clenching - September 27th 2012, 04:29 PM

The only way you are going to know for sure is if you ask your doctor.

But I would be willing to bet it is your anxiety. Jaw clenching is a very common anxiety side effect. I would say the reason you feel better is because you are clenching your jaw. You are focusing your anxiety into that activity making you think that you are feeling better, but really, you aren’t dealing with the anxiety. I would highly recommend you talk to your doctor about this.

Interested in becoming a staff member? Feel free to PM me, or apply HERE!
::Teen Help Member Since 2006::
::Staff Member for ten years::
~Blessed Be~

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Proud90sKid Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: .

Re: Citalopram and Jaw Clenching - September 28th 2012, 01:17 AM

yes, citalopram and any drug that increases serotonin or dopamine can cause jaw clenching. citalopram increases serotonin and can cause clenching. i never noticed it when i was on lexapro though. Adderall causes me intense jaw clenching, to the point im putting napkins in my mouth and gnawing on them. i understand the tooth sensitivity. my teeth would really hurt and even became kinda loose. i became really worried about it. you should see a dentist about it.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Never Forget Hope
I can't get enough

Re: Citalopram and Jaw Clenching - September 29th 2012, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Morrigan View Post
But before I started the meds I was heaps more anxious and this was never a problem.

It only started the day after I started the meds so are you honestly telling me there's no connection between the two? Since it seems like a huge coincidence.
It could be either. It is really hard to determine for sure, though. Speak with your doctor. They can try to increase the meds, or decrease them to see if it gets worse or better or remains the same. In the mean time, I would suggest getting some gum to chew on, or hard candy. This way if you start clenching your jaw, you will either have to move the hard candy, bite it, or chew on the gum. Which hopefully you will notice.

(#12 (permalink)) Old
MindBodySpirit Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Not Michael

Re: Citalopram and Jaw Clenching - September 30th 2012, 04:39 AM

Citalopram affects certain calcium channels in your body. Calcium is necessary for regular contraction of muscle. Wear a mouthguard. Tell your doctor the next time you see him/her about this side effect.

Closed Thread