TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Make Believe Offline
makes everything 20% cooler.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kayleigh

I can only sleep with my fan on - September 28th 2012, 02:30 PM

This isn't a massive problem but it is when I sleep over my friend's house or sister's house.

My house is normally boiling in the summer (and my window's broke) so I bought a fan a few months ago. I can now only sleep with it on. The noise helps me sleep. The electricity went a few days ago and I could NOT sleep. I also can't sleep over other people's houses because they aren't weird and don't sleep with a fan on

Any advice to fall asleep normally?

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."
  Send a message via MSN to Make Believe  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Mitch Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Mitchell

Re: I can only sleep with my fan on - September 28th 2012, 02:40 PM

I usually listen to some long classical music, breakup songs that are very sad (lol? ikr) or natural sound like rain, storms, forest etc.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Make Believe Offline
Jeez, get a life!

Re: I can only sleep with my fan on - September 28th 2012, 06:30 PM

I do like some classical music so that may relax me

I just can't stop thinking about crap before falling asleep

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Never Forget Hope
I can't get enough

Name: Kelly

Re: I can only sleep with my fan on - September 29th 2012, 02:27 PM

I had a friend who was the same, so I would let her have the fan on her while I put earplugs in :P

I would suggest doing some relaxation techniques that work for you. Hot cocoa or just a glass of water an hour before bed. Read a book. Just get into a routine before bed. Then in a week or two, your body will realize the pattern you are doing and start shutting down during the routine. Hopefully you will be tired enough in bed to sleep instead of restless and lying awake.

There are also a few natural products that I have used (be careful with these if you are on medications. You should ask your doctor if you are on antidepressants or anti-anxiety meds). One is MidNite, which is a pill, sometimes chewables are available. They are non-habit forming. And they really worked for me.

Another is Calms Forte which my doctor recommended. My whole body just relaxes with this one and I just feel calm enough to sleep. This is also non-habit forming.

And then of course a supplement of Melatonin.

Keep in mind these are not sleep medications that will make you loopy or fall asleep standing up. You will need to be READY to sleep, in bed with no tv or phone, and actually try to sleep. Otherwise you will just be a bit tired and up all night :P

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Validity Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Jay
Location: In the deep, dark, treacherous place called my mind. Oh and Australia!

Re: I can only sleep with my fan on - September 30th 2012, 05:56 AM

I do the same, except in winter, of course. But, I can't fall asleep if I'm not listening to the constant whir of my fan! It's so hard to to and I'd be up the night just letting memories bombard me otherwise. Oh, haha, [note to self, get fan from garage].

But, I'd go with the calming music.

Jay.

Buddy since 18/11/12 LiveHelp Operator since 22/12/12 Add me on Facebook Jay Louise Shorrock!
A whisper in the dark; is better than silence in the light. -Courtesy of your's truly.
My blog is open to all, those whom are easily triggered avoid, it's a story about a girl and her life and how far she has come over the years. If you read it, I hope it inspires you to keep fighting and to NEVER give up!

When you can no longer think of a reason to continue, you must think of a reason to start over.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Make Believe Offline
Jeez, get a life!

Re: I can only sleep with my fan on - October 1st 2012, 07:29 PM

I leave it on in the winter too. I just face it away from me so I'm not cold.

I just downloaded some calming classical music so I'll make a playlist on my iPod now

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Validity Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Jay
Location: In the deep, dark, treacherous place called my mind. Oh and Australia!

Re: I can only sleep with my fan on - October 2nd 2012, 08:52 AM

I keep my window open sometimes so I can hear the rattle the wind makes with my windchimes

Jay.

Buddy since 18/11/12 LiveHelp Operator since 22/12/12 Add me on Facebook Jay Louise Shorrock!
A whisper in the dark; is better than silence in the light. -Courtesy of your's truly.
My blog is open to all, those whom are easily triggered avoid, it's a story about a girl and her life and how far she has come over the years. If you read it, I hope it inspires you to keep fighting and to NEVER give up!

When you can no longer think of a reason to continue, you must think of a reason to start over.

Closed Thread