TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Make Believe Offline
makes everything 20% cooler.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kayleigh

I NEED to sort my sleeping schedule out - October 8th 2012, 07:39 PM

I want to go back to college full time in September. The reason I started going part time was due to anxiety problems and excessive tiredness. My anxiety is getting much better but I still have sleeping problems.

I find it really difficult to fall asleep before 12am. I've been trying to stick to a routine. I actually managed to fall asleep at 11pm last night but I woke up at 4am, fell back to sleep at 7am and slept until 11am.

If I don't have at least 10 hours sleep I'm exhausted. I think it is related to my E.D.S. (http://www.ehlers-danlos.org)

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19878973 :/ yay.

(I was diagnosed with E.D.S. Classical when I was 2)

It's making me depressed. I want to live a normal life and I can't when I'm so exhausted.

If I manage to fall asleep at a reasonable time I think I will be able to cope with college full time. I just need help/advice on how to sleep earlier.

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."
  Send a message via MSN to Make Believe  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Melwirth Offline
Average Joe

Name: Melissa

Re: I NEED to sort my sleeping schedule out - October 9th 2012, 05:50 PM

I am in the same boat with you. My sleep cycle is horrid. Two things that have helped me with falling asleep, 1, melatonin it can work wonders, its not like a normal sleeping pill, it's natural cuz melatonin is created by our bodies naturally to help us sleep so its better for you then this other hard core sleeping pill crap that seems to do more harm then good (can you tell that I hate sleeping pills lol) and 2, meditation. It really helps just to completely clear your mind before you fall asleep, but downside....this really doesnt do much on the staying asleep part. And for the schedule part, it needs to be consistent..... the time you go to sleep and the time you wake up isn't as important as sticking to the same times every day. Sticking to it is the key, it will take about 3 days to really take affect....the first couple days yes you are probably gonna be really tired but by the third day your body will get used to it and you will feel more rested, just stick to the same times to go to bed and get up. and just throwing it out there, sometimes when people get too much sleep they are tired also so, thats also something to think about.
Don't you love how I can give all this advice about sleeping but I suck at even doing myself? haha yeah I suck like that sometimes.
Hope this helps and if you have any questions feel free to ask.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Make Believe Offline
makes everything 20% cooler.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kayleigh

Re: I NEED to sort my sleeping schedule out - October 9th 2012, 06:58 PM

My doctor said something about melatonin before but was worried about the side effects >.>

I've been trying to go to bed everyday at 11pm. I'm in bed but it takes a while to fall asleep. I woke up today at 9:45am which is MUCH better than normal though

Thanks <333

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."
  Send a message via MSN to Make Believe  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Never Forget Hope
I can't get enough

Name: Kelly

Re: I NEED to sort my sleeping schedule out - October 9th 2012, 07:23 PM

Melatonin can have reactions with some anxiety or anti-depressant medications, but it works with others. Consider asking your doctor more about it. Another idea is look at Calms Forte. Also a natural supplement which doesn't actually make you groggy or loopy. My doctor suggested this while I was on anti-depressants. This can also have reactions with certain medications, though.

Explore your options. Also, if you wake up in the middle of the night, you will be more tired than if you slept all the way through because your sleep cycle has been interrupted. There are other sleep medications which can be prescribed by your doctor (Lunesta) which helps you STAY asleep, but will not help in the aid of GETTING you to sleep. To help me get to sleep, I used Ambien, which at my Walmart the generic cost $7 for a month. Not bad. However, I had vivid hallucinations if I did not fall RIGHT to sleep as soon as taking the pill.

So that could be an option for you as it is affordable, but it is very strong.

Hope you can get some rest soon!

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Melwirth Offline
Average Joe

Name: Melissa

Re: I NEED to sort my sleeping schedule out - October 10th 2012, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan Shunpike View Post
My doctor said something about melatonin before but was worried about the side effects >.>

I've been trying to go to bed everyday at 11pm. I'm in bed but it takes a while to fall asleep. I woke up today at 9:45am which is MUCH better than normal though

Thanks <333
Yeah I guess there could be some side affects,what they are I really dont know. and I take antidepressants and my doctor seemed to be ok with me taking melatonin as well so idk really. I think 11 is a good time to go to bed and if you are waking up at 8 or 9 that would be a good time as well, like I said you dont want to be sleeping too much

Closed Thread