TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Periods. - October 9th 2012, 12:19 AM

Hi

Okay. So, I came of my period about 8 or 9 days ago. I came back on this morning and stopped tonight. My period was a bit irregular last month, I came on for 5 days at my usual date but then had a few other days on through out the month.

I know irregular periods are normal at my age but my periods have never been irregular. I mean, not really. Not like this. I guess I'm under stress but no more than ever before. I'm having to have blood tests for anaemia as my nurse is worried I have iron deficiency. I've been iron deficient about three times in the past year, first time being around a year and 3 months ago, which was apparently due to blood loss from my self harming. But I don't know if this could be another sign because I didn't think anaemia would cause any problems with my period. My periods aren't heavy or anything either. I'm quite light (always a positive! )

But yeah. I don't get why my periods are a bit up and down. And it scares me. I don't know why. And its not very practical, lets face it.

Any ideas as to why? Thanks!
Jessie

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Little Lion Man
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Katie

Re: Periods. - October 9th 2012, 02:59 AM

Periods like doing things the way they want to, and sometimes it's something totally different than what you're used to. I was anemic, and that didn't have any effect on my periods (it actually was the other way around). Ask your doctor if you're concerned though.

Sorry I couldn't be there, I was tied to a rocking chair.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
SparklingWine Offline
Normality, my friends.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Lynds :)

Re: Periods. - October 9th 2012, 05:35 PM

Hey Jess!
You'd be suprised at how many things can affect your period. For starts, diet. If you've been restricting and then eating off and on, it's going to affect that cycle. Periods, if this makes sense, requires consistency. They can be set off by any sort of change. And what set something off for one girl, may not affect the other girl.

Stress is a huge factor. I know you said you're no more stressed than usual, but that doesn't mean that it isn't going to affect your period at a later time. If you are fatigued, worried or anxious it cfan cause your hormones to become inbalanced. It doesn't have to happen right away, it can happen at any time. It's helpful if you try and do activities that bring your stress down a bit, that way, if stress is the cause, your period can work itself out.

A few other reasons can be travelling (I don't think you've done that recently, but just in case.). Also illness. If you've been sick, that can throw your body off. And that might include anemia, I'm not sure. Med change. If I remember right, you're on some meds, and they've been frequently changed. So maybe THAT'S reason? I also know that if you've been overdosing that it can effect your period. Especially MULTIPLE overdoses.

As far as anemia affecting your period goes. It can affect your period. Anemia causes lack of oxygen to the body, which can sometimes lead to an irregular period. The body may expel less lining in order to preserve your iron levels, so it can have some affect.

I would talk to your doctor and figure out for sure. Periods are tricky and can be thrown off by anything under the sun.

Hope this helped.

Send a message via AIM to SparklingWine Send a message via MSN to SparklingWine  
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
Closed Thread