TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
SouthernBelle. Offline
InsaneAnnie
I've been here a while

Name: Anna

Red face I have to get braces. - October 28th 2012, 07:24 PM

I'm totally nervous about it.

I mean, I know I need them and I'd prefer to have them before college, so I'm going to go ahead and get them while I have the chance.

But I've always been self-conscious about my teeth, and I know that all those wires on top of my already misshapen teeth will just make them look more horrible. I'll be in drama next semester -- and I've got a shot at the lead role -- but I'm terrified that I'll be overlooked for having braces.

I'm also anxious because I don't yet know what I will be able and won't be able to eat. How is it possible to eat broccoli with those wires all around in my mouth?

Does anyone possibly have any words that might reassure me? I'm terrified.

Anna's Personal Keys to Happiness
1. Do what you want within the bounds of reason, whenever you want to, and regret nothing. 2. If you have an opinion, don't beat around the bush, or there isn't a point in saying it. 3. Don't keep the company of anyone who won't like you and will try to change you.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Eternal Offline
Lead Moderator

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Nicole

Re: I have to get braces. - October 28th 2012, 08:33 PM

I had braces back when I was 12 or 13.
Firstly, I don't think you'll be overlooked for the lead role. You can get white colored rubber bands for your braces so that when looking far away they will look near invisible. What matters most I think would be your skill in acting, not what you look like.
As for eating, its actually not as complicated as you think. You pretty much just have one wire for your whole row of teeth, and small brackets on each tooth. They'll be sore when you first get them and everytime you get them tightened so you'll want to stick with softer foods on those days, but other then that just avoid really sticky foods. You can still eat broccoli and everything with braces, just check your teeth afterwards in case something did get stuck.
After a couple of weeks you get pretty used to them and will forget that they're even there, so don't worry. They aren't as bad as they seem!

And here you are living, despite it all.
Lead Moderator | Disputes Committee | HelpLINK Mentor

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Odyne Offline
The Goddess Of Pain
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Lucy

Re: I have to get braces. - October 28th 2012, 08:35 PM

I got braces when I was 13, and now I'm 15. Of course I can't wait to get them off, but really, it's not that bad. You get used to it pretty quickly. And it's nothing to worry about. You're beautiful, no matter what. Don't worry.

private message & visitor message
I'm here for you, if you need to talk.

I am beginning to measure myself in strength, not pounds. Sometimes in smiles.
Laurie Halse Anderson, Wintergirls

(#4 (permalink)) Old
escape♥ Offline
Happiness is waiting for you<3
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Paula

Re: I have to get braces. - October 28th 2012, 08:41 PM

I got braces when I was 14, & now I'm 15. They're not really that bad..but unlike Nicole said, I wouldn't get white colored rubber bands unless your a really good brusher or have really white teeth, because your teeth could look more yellow if not.
Good luck!
~paula

If you're looking for a sign not to kill yourself tonight, this is it.
"May the odds be ever in your favour"
"A strong person is one who can smile this morning like they weren't crying last night."
Your never alone, I'm always here for you. Shoot me a VM or PM.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
SouthernBelle. Offline
InsaneAnnie
I've been here a while

Name: Anna

Re: I have to get braces. - October 28th 2012, 09:19 PM

Thanks, guys.

Most people I've talked to who have them have said the same things; maybe they aren't so bad, after all? And besides, after eighteen months of wearing them, I guess I'll never have to be self-conscious about my teeth again.

At least they'll be off before college.

Anna's Personal Keys to Happiness
1. Do what you want within the bounds of reason, whenever you want to, and regret nothing. 2. If you have an opinion, don't beat around the bush, or there isn't a point in saying it. 3. Don't keep the company of anyone who won't like you and will try to change you.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
LlamaLlamaDuck Offline
Llama Lover/Skittle Minion
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Louise

Re: I have to get braces. - October 28th 2012, 09:20 PM

I had braces for a year and it took me ages to adjust. But I hate things in my mouth so that might be why.
Main things I found to avoid were:
-Corn on the cob (unless you want to spend ages cleaning it out of your teeth )
- Rice (same reason)
- Toffee/anything chewy (Can bring the brackets off, and that is really awkward to eat with if you can't get it fixed for a while)
- Boiled sweets if you crunch them instead of sucking them (mainly because little 'shards' can get stuck in your braces and they can be sharp/painful)

Just think ahead, if you're gonna eat something think logically about eating with it when you have braces. It's also handy to get yourself a couple of these:

Also take one of those (or something similar) and a little handheld mirror when you go out somewhere you'll be eating. They're great for cleaning out little bits of food after meals.

Oh, and try to avoid foods that could stain the elastic bands if you go for white, curries and such might make them go a nasty shade of yellow.

Other than that, good luck! PM me if you have any questions.

Throw those curtains wide
One day like this a year would see me right

We are the rainbow
Or click here for some grovelling.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Eternal Offline
Lead Moderator

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Nicole

Re: I have to get braces. - October 29th 2012, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape♥ View Post
I got braces when I was 14, & now I'm 15. They're not really that bad..but unlike Nicole said, I wouldn't get white colored rubber bands unless your a really good brusher or have really white teeth, because your teeth could look more yellow if not.
Good luck!
~paula
When I had braces people told me this as well, however when my friend got braces she always got white ones and they never turned a different color.

And here you are living, despite it all.
Lead Moderator | Disputes Committee | HelpLINK Mentor

(#8 (permalink)) Old
ShesNotThere Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Lee

Re: I have to get braces. - November 1st 2012, 11:57 PM

I had braces when I was in middle school. Basically I agree with what's already been said - avoid sticky foods, be sure to brush very carefully, etc. They're going to be really sore at first, but after awhile, they'll feel like a normal part of your teeth. Even weirder, in my opinion, is the feeling after you get them off!

(#9 (permalink)) Old
HoneysweetPanda Offline
こんにちは、お元気ですか?
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Nikita

Re: I have to get braces. - November 2nd 2012, 03:06 AM

I had braces until earlier this year and lemme tell youyou can eat anything u want as long as its not too hard and as long as you clean it when you brush your teeth, also you can ask for transparent braces, i had like those, its almost unnoticeable as long as you keep them clean

"Rolling Girl always looked at unreachable dreams Making a fuss if you got inside her head and disturbed, disturbed. No problem. Was murmured, but weren't those words lost?" - Wowaka ft. Hatsune Miku (Rolling girl)

(#10 (permalink)) Old
BillieRose88 Offline
Then I defy you, stars!
Average Joe

Name: Sofia

Re: I have to get braces. - November 2nd 2012, 06:10 AM

Almost everyone that does Drama has braces. That's one of the main ways that I tell if a person is invloved in Drama!

Just remeber to think of the outcome when they're off. No more feeling self concious and you'll have perfect teeth!

How about a kiss, Saumensh?

Closed Thread