TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
BDF Offline
I can't get enough

Name: BDF

Can someone who knows more about this explain... - November 11th 2012, 11:51 AM

There are "ordinary" cough syrups, which usually make you drowsy.

Then there are "non-drowsy" cough syrups, which obviously don't make you drowsy.

Wtf is the point in even having ordinary syrups which make you drowsy? It's just a totally pointless inconvenience. And obviously they won't be honest about it and make it clear on the label. I've been mislead for 3 days thinking that it's my illness making me want to sleep all day and night, when it was the fucking syrup. I'm 3 days behind on work now. I felt like tossing the damn shit out of the window. I would have if it isn't that my mum is also taking it. It doesn't bother her because she doesn't mind drinking coffee all day.

If I want something that's going to make me fall asleep, I'd buy fking sleeping pills instead of some other bullshit.

So. Answer the question in bold and help me understand wtf the point is.

"I don't care about politics"
Then politics doesn't care about you either. Truth. You've got to make your voice heard, if you want to be listened to. But that's too logical for some people, so let me go a step further. Not making your voice heard, leaves other people free to hijack it by speaking on your behalf, even if they don't actually give a shit about you. That's politics. So, make your voice heard. That's not a quote from anywhere. That's just me.

Last edited by BDF; November 11th 2012 at 02:09 PM.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Just here.
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Jaime

Re: Can someone who knows more about this explain... - November 12th 2012, 08:38 PM

I'm not sure that this is even right, but I think the point is to actually help you sleep at night. A lot of medicines contain caffeine which is obviously a stimulant which would keep you up at night (non-drowsy). Often, coughs can be worse at night if you have mucus on your chest and you're lying down and stuff, so drowsy medicines relieve the cough symptoms at night time too so you can actually get some sleep.

They make both because the normal has caffeine in and obviously you don't want this at night, and obviously you don't want drowsy during day time as you've experienced it makes you lethargic during work and could affect driving and stuff!

I hope this helped!

Things, no matter how bad, will always get better. So smile, 'cause this is life, and life is what you make it.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Never Forget Hope
I can't get enough

Name: Kelly

Re: Can someone who knows more about this explain... - November 12th 2012, 08:55 PM

As stated above, often times it is to help you sleep at night as lying down will cause mucus to back-up and your throat to dry out, causing coughs and more congestion.

Also, some syrups have antihistamines to help with irritation from allergies, which they make you drowsy (antihistamines just have sedative qualities, though they usually suggest taking at night).

The syrups that make you drowsy will have a warning label stating not to drive or operate motor vehicles and the like. This is to let you be aware that they cause drowsiness.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
BDF Offline
I can't get enough

Name: BDF

Re: Can someone who knows more about this explain... - November 13th 2012, 01:18 PM

Ye well I failed both my tests today and am blaming it mostly on the cough syrup.

It's the doctor I went to see who "prescribed" it, although it's not a prescription medicine. I've taken sleeping tablets before, not often. Never did they work as well as that cough syrup did in making me drowsy. The only time I didn't feel drowsy with that syrup was when I realised that it was making me drowsy, and then I got pissed off instead.

"I don't care about politics"
Then politics doesn't care about you either. Truth. You've got to make your voice heard, if you want to be listened to. But that's too logical for some people, so let me go a step further. Not making your voice heard, leaves other people free to hijack it by speaking on your behalf, even if they don't actually give a shit about you. That's politics. So, make your voice heard. That's not a quote from anywhere. That's just me.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Never Forget Hope
I can't get enough

Name: Kelly

Re: Can someone who knows more about this explain... - November 13th 2012, 02:34 PM

Tests for school? Often you can explain to the professor and they will usually be understanding. Of course, you can get a few of the ones who don't care.

Sleep pills work differently, and it also depends on which ones you take. Some will make you drowsy to help get you to sleep. Others do not make you drowsy but KEEP you asleep.

Sorry for the inconvenience!

Closed Thread