TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Itchy scars. - November 13th 2012, 11:16 PM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of self harm, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

I've got a couple of hundred scars on my arm. Some of the cuts were severe and most needed medical attention and even though some are from a good year ago, a lot of them are very itcy. I barely itch them but sometimes they get so dry, they get scabby and they bleed and then I itch and just make it worse but its so itchy I can't explain.

I've tried different types of lotions and moisturisers including things like palmer's with vitamins in them but its getting unbearable. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Validity Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Jay
Location: In the deep, dark, treacherous place called my mind. Oh and Australia!

Re: Itchy scars. - November 13th 2012, 11:20 PM

I know that you have tried moisturises but have you tried vitamin e oil? I used them on my scars and they reduced the redness, and the itchiness, sure some days they are incredibly itchy but it's easier to manage.

Jay.

Buddy since 18/11/12 LiveHelp Operator since 22/12/12 Add me on Facebook Jay Louise Shorrock!
A whisper in the dark; is better than silence in the light. -Courtesy of your's truly.
My blog is open to all, those whom are easily triggered avoid, it's a story about a girl and her life and how far she has come over the years. If you read it, I hope it inspires you to keep fighting and to NEVER give up!

When you can no longer think of a reason to continue, you must think of a reason to start over.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount17

Edit avatar

Re: Itchy scars. - November 14th 2012, 06:29 AM

Hi, Jessie.
I'm sorry you self-harm. (I'm here if you need me).
As for your question, some of my scars are itchy from time to time too so I google'd this and it brought up the question on Yahoo Answers.
This is it:

"Scars are often itchy, this can be for several reasons. It depends greatly on the age, severity and location of the scar.
First off, while the cut is actually healing and the scab is nearly ready to come off it is natural for the scar to itch. Not much can be done about this at that time.
Secondly, scarred skin doesn't have the same sweet and oil glands of normal skin, this can lead to dryness and itchiness. This is easily reduced by applying moisturizer or skin oil (bio oil is great), and just as a side note, massaging scars twice daily with moisturizer helps reduce scaring, especially raised scars
Thirdly, sometimes scars can be very sensitive(especially raised ones) and rubbing of clothing, or certain materials (ie rough material like some wools) can irritate them, casing itchiness and sometimes blistering. For this one, just be aware of what, if anything causes irritation and avoid wearing it. In some cases it may be best of keep new scars protected with a band aid until they mature enough not to get irritated by rubbing of cloth.
Lastly, nerve issues can cause this. This is usually in deeper cuts that for raised or sunken scars. Nerves are slow to repair and you may get twinges and itchiness for a months, or even longer. Little can be done about this. If it is really bad, you may find applying an ice pack to the area helps. Other than that, seeing a dermatologist could help. Sometimes cortisone injections are given and this can help a lot."

Hope it helped. <3

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount7

Edit avatar

Re: Itchy scars. - November 14th 2012, 04:40 PM

Oh bio-oil is wonderful stuff. 1. It reduces the actual scarring. 2. It's good for your skin and helps nourish it.
Also...try drinking plenty of water and maybe try out some E45 Itch relief cream? It worked wonders for me when the scars on my stomach itched.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Itchy scars. - November 14th 2012, 08:33 PM

I've tried e45 and Biol Oil and I have tried Palmers vitamin E and none of it seems to be helping Waaa.

Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Obliviate Offline
Mother of Dragons
I've been here a while

Re: Itchy scars. - November 15th 2012, 06:49 PM

I know this may seem obvious but sudocrem might help? Also Vaseline seems to be good on scars for some reason xxx

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Eternal Offline
Lead Moderator

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Nicole

Re: Itchy scars. - November 16th 2012, 03:59 AM

Another option to try is cocoa butter. That stuff is actually pretty moisturizing, plus it smells nice.

And here you are living, despite it all.
Lead Moderator | Disputes Committee | HelpLINK Mentor

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Itchy scars. - November 16th 2012, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicole! View Post
Another option to try is cocoa butter. That stuff is actually pretty moisturizing, plus it smells nice.
The palmers Vitamin E is cocoa butter. It does smell good!

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Voldermorts Stalker
I can't get enough

Re: Itchy scars. - November 17th 2012, 10:11 AM

Have you tried Aqueous cream its a moisturiser that is mainly for eczema but it might work on itchy scars.

BADGER BADGER BADGER.........MUSHROOM!!!
Videos team
, articles team and helplink mentor and associate live help operator.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
bitesize Offline
Member since April '07
Outside, huh?

Re: Itchy scars. - November 17th 2012, 11:24 AM

I've had this!! http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f12-s...2-itchy-scars/

It's annoying. Maybe try massaging the scars when you can, and keeping them moisturised and hydrated is definitely a good idea - the others have given some good suggestions for what you could use.

Honey, you're familiar, like my mirror, years ago
I slithered here from Eden just to sit outside your door
Níl a shíltear mar a bhítear.
Things are not always what they seem.

Closed Thread