TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
einstein's dog Offline
charlie
Average Joe

Name: charlie

energy drinks- how bad? - November 21st 2012, 08:52 PM

for a few weeks i've been feeling really low and depressed. i tried an energy drink and i felt hyper and happy when it kicked in, as expected, and since then i keep drinking the energy drinks when i feel down to make me feel better. sometimes i have 2 or 3 in a day :L i know this is bad but how bad is it and what might it do to me? and what could i do to feel happier instead of drinking energy drinks?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Never Forget Hope
I can't get enough

Name: Kelly

Re: energy drinks- how bad? - November 21st 2012, 11:22 PM

Honestly, it depends on the energy drink and your body weight (which you cannot put on TH due to the Code of Conduct). Say a really thin person drinks three 16oz energy driniks within 12 hours. They might experience anxiety, shakiness, rapid heartbeat, perhaps even palpitations.

Now say someone with a healthier weight drinks the same, they might only experience some anxiety or jitteriness.

Also, some energy drinks are just purely sugar, which can cause you to have a pretty hard crash after only a couple hours. Others are more caffeine based, which the recommended dose is between 250-300mg. 5 hour energy (the extra strength ones) have about 138mg of caffeine, so you could 'safely' drink 2 a day and be fine.

Others, like Monster (I do not have actual statistics, I am only making a generalization) could only have 100mg caffeine and lots of sugar. As mentioned, it depends. Neither are excellent for you in big doses.

I personally would stay away from them, but one every now and then shouldn't be too bad. As for other things to help make you happy...I don't know you. It's going to be very hard for me to give you suggestions, so I will tell you what helps ME and hopefully you get some ideas.

1) Reading helps me A LOT! I feel so relaxed after a chapter in a good book.
2) Baking also helps me. It makes me feel great to see my accomplishments and be able to taste them too (art, making music, etc would be good options to try)
3) Volunteering is a HUGE one. This just helps no matter what. I feel great to be able to contribute and I feel productive.
4) Setting small goals on days I feel horrid - Instead of saying "I'll get laundry, dishes, and pet cages done today." I say "I'll get laundry done today." I set a goal I KNOW I can finish. When I finish, it feels good. The next day if I am having a better day, but still not feeling all that great, I would say "I'll get dishes done by 2pm!" So it's a bit more challenging that I set a time limit, but still doable.

Being productive for myself is key. Not sure if that will work for you. But I would suggest trying different things. It took me a long time to learn the method about setting goals. Also, try new things to find a hobby you enjoy.

For those days that you wake up and just can't open your eyes, I always treat myself in some way. Be it a dessert or drink I don't normally get. Or just a promise to myself to make some hot cocoa or tea and relax for an hour or two on the couch. I take time for myself and treat myself on the days I wish I didn't wake up.

Hope this helped!

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: energy drinks- how bad? - November 22nd 2012, 09:45 PM

I used to drink energy drinks like mad. It made me feel more focused but it was also not as good cause they'd make me jittery lots. Now, I have always wondered if they affect me differently than others since I've got some ADHD issues as it is, not to mention I am a bit high strung/anxious, but I feel like a lot of people react better or worse. But the combination of HIGH amounts of sugar and caffeine can wear on you no matter who you are.
I would suggest just starting to drink a lot of tea, I drink 3-4 cups of tea a day and it never bothers me. You get the caffeine but in an amount that isn't quite so bothersome to your body, not to mention that you don't get the giant amounts of sugar which is, again, not so great, sugar can cause you to gain weight as well as the fact that tea doesn't fill you up, no calories, so you still have space to eat other healthier things. And the overall healthier eating would help you have more energy. Plus with tea there is always the option of having caffeine-free options (herbal teas) or teas with lower amounts of caffeine
I also find that working out helps me. Even if I am really stressed out over school I find that sometimes I am better off just stopping and going to the gym if I haven't already that day and I always feel better afterwards, it's a good destresser....
Other good ideas is playing/listening to music or even just kicking back and watching a movie or something

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions

Last edited by Always *; November 22nd 2012 at 09:51 PM.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
CountOnMe Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Kayleigh

Re: energy drinks- how bad? - December 3rd 2012, 06:23 PM

Energy drinks are good in a way... but can be bad because they contain a high amount of sugar so it could damage your liver with the huge amount of sugar it has to intake...

(#5 (permalink)) Old
maximess Offline
Banned
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: energy drinks- how bad? - December 4th 2012, 05:49 AM

Two studies reported significant improvements in mental and cognitive performances as well as increased subjective alertness.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
i_like_black Offline
Awesomesauce.
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Jess

Re: energy drinks- how bad? - December 5th 2012, 12:15 AM

Energy drinks, like everything, have their positives and negatives.
Positives - well, obviously they give you a bit of a hit.
Negatives include crashing - that is, feeling even more fatigued as your sugar levels drop back down to normal, bad for your teeth, and too close to bed time they can prevent you from sleeping properly.

If you've felt down or depressed for longer than 2 weeks, it might be worth seeing a doctor about it. Energy drinks are a temporary fix, and if there's a deeper problem, it will still be there when you stop having energy drinks.

I'm sensitive to caffeine (I get really hyperactive, and if I'm heading up it can make mania much more obvious), so I would never have more than one in a week. Most people can handle a little bit more than that though, and I know many people who are healthy who have an energy drink every day, in place of a morning coffee or suchlike. It's really up to you to work out how many you can have healthily and happily.

Things to make yourself feel happier - make a list of things you enjoy doing. Do at least one thing on that list every day. It might be listening to music, or playing a game, or drawing, or going for a walk - it doesn't really matter, as long as it makes you feel better.
=]

Closed Thread