TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Butters Offline
Not a n00b

Insomnia, nightmares and my triggers.. - December 4th 2012, 07:16 AM

This isn't in relation to a mental health illness so I am posting here...
I get insomnia, sometimes due to nightmares so I am trying to figure out my triggers for insomnia and nightmares.

1. Insomnia - Room being too light.
2. Insomnia - nightmares making me not want to sleep.
3. Insomnia - it being too light outside despite my room being dark.

1. Nightmares - the orange glow coming through my window from a street light.

Does anyone else know their reasons for insomnia/nightmares or have any idea on other triggers. So frustrating lol!

My spelling is terrible, so I'm sorry for any spelling mistakes in my posts

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Never Forget Hope
I can't get enough

Name: Kelly

Re: Insomnia, nightmares and my triggers.. - December 4th 2012, 02:53 PM

There are soooo many triggers. It varies deeply on each person.

For myself, I don't like the idea that I am the only one awake (everyone sleeps before me for some reason). So I hate being up alone. I feel unsafe and responsible if something bad happens, despite logically knowing that it would not be my fault.

As for the light, it sounds like a lot of your insomnia has more to do with it not being dark enough. Have you considered getting a second set of curtains? Or even an eye mask to leave on at night? When I had been in the hospital, it was pitch black in the room. When I returned home, the street lights kept me up so we bought an eye mask and it helped greatly.

Also, if you keep your phone or computer nearby, you might be expecting to check it each time you wake up, which will cause your brain to see the light and think it's time to wake up. So try to avoid having those near you or in your room.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Butters Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Insomnia, nightmares and my triggers.. - December 4th 2012, 06:24 PM

Thanks at my mums I have black out curtains at my uni house I have useless curtains, my landlord is getting me some black out blinds though. Eye mask wont help, as I cannot have anything on my face at night. I surprisingly don't check my phone each wake up, I wake up if its still dark enough I can get back to sleep. But it has to be pitch black.. which is odd seeing as I sometimes get scared of the dark lol.

I may try the eye mask thing again though as it has been a few years since I last tried.
I've had this sort of issue with my sleep all my life, I wouldn't nap during the day as a baby and if there was a full moon I would be up all night, drove my mum bonkers lol! just getting worse as I get older

My spelling is terrible, so I'm sorry for any spelling mistakes in my posts

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Never Forget Hope
I can't get enough

Name: Kelly

Re: Insomnia, nightmares and my triggers.. - December 4th 2012, 08:59 PM

I've also always had bad sleep habits. As for the eye mask, I would get comfortable and just lay it on my eyes. If I was lying on my side, I would lightly loop the string to the ear facing up to hold it in place.

Once I got to sleep, I had no issues. If I happened to wake up do to something else, I would just get comfortable and replace the mask. I can't stand the string on my head, but a very light mask seemed to do the trick looped over one ear.

Hope you can get some sleep

Closed Thread