TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Guess who!
Average Joe

Name: Deedlit

Anyone had gall stones? - April 16th 2009, 07:35 PM

Hey, my mum has gall stones, she's in so much pain, it's horrible .

We're phoning NHS24 just now, but does anyone know anything that even helps a wee bit with the pain? She's been given really strong painkillers by her doctor but they aren't helping.

Fast replies greatly appreciated!

Thanks =/

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Prozac Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Anyone had gall stones? - April 16th 2009, 07:38 PM

I had gallstones and honest to god, when you're having an attack it feels like NOTHING helps with the pain.
She could try and walk around a bit if she can and perhaps drink some water.
The only think that i'd recommend is antacids, they gave me some antacid when I went to the hospital and it did help a little, but i'm afraid that the main thing that she needs is to get her gallbladder out as soon as possible. I sympathise with her
It is absolutely horrendous.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Guess who!
Average Joe

Re: Anyone had gall stones? - April 16th 2009, 07:42 PM

Her actual gall bladder? I thought it was just the stones they take out, or she pee'd them out, or is that kidney stones :S. I'm so confused!

Thanks for your reply!

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Prozac Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Anyone had gall stones? - April 16th 2009, 07:45 PM

Gallstones can be removed, but they can also grow back. Once you've had gallstones, trust me, you'll do ANYTHING to not have them again. Since she'd have to have an operation to remove the stones i'd imagine that she'd just have the whole gallbladder taken out? It's still keyhole surgery. Yes, you do pee kidney stones out but not gallstones :]
There's no other way to get rid of gallstones. I think there is some sort of medication that can potentially broken down but I don't think that's offered because it's not very effective.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Guess who!
Average Joe

Re: Anyone had gall stones? - April 16th 2009, 07:49 PM

Hahah.. Your post count after this post was 666 Steph. Advice of the devil ;p.

Nah, but really, thanks a lot! Stupid question here but how do they take the bladder out if it's keyhole surgery?

So your gall bladder's like your appendix, you can live without it?

Also, is gallbladderitis (? ) hereditary?

(#6 (permalink)) Old
kimvia Offline
is asleep
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Kim

Re: Anyone had gall stones? - April 16th 2009, 07:52 PM

My dad had this, they had to take out his whole gall bladder. he had no complications or anything, though the gall stone did hurt like hell. OH he used a heating pad to make it feel better! hope that helps!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PM me any time, ok? I'm always here to help.

What's the second amendment for?
Just in case the government takes away the first.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Prozac Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Anyone had gall stones? - April 16th 2009, 08:08 PM

Heh

You can live without your gallbladder, well I hope so because otherwise i'd be classed a zombie
I suppose I have had some issues since i've had mine out (in particular with specific foods - especially greasy - it can make me ill ) and after I had the operation I did get some 'phantom pain' and stabbing pains which is quite common but it does go. I have to take some medication every day (indigestion/antacid) to help, but usually i'm fine But yeah, anything at all is better than the pain of a gallstone attack, it is the most painful thing i've ever experienced.
I think that they take the gallbladder out of your belly button. I have 4 scars I think, but they're only tiny. The gallbladder's only small
I don't think it is hereditary, I think it's more to do with your diet and lifestyle
If your mum isn't already avoiding greasy food or food with a large fat content i'd strongly advise that she does try to avoid them because it flares them up. I know that the worst thing for me was caramel. Urgh, every time I had caramel, in any form, it used to reaaaally get bad. She may find that she has certain foods that trigger the attacks.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Gemma =] Offline
Formerly camisado
Not a n00b

Name: Gemma

Re: Anyone had gall stones? - April 16th 2009, 08:10 PM

Heeey!

Sorry to hear about your mum, my mum had the same thing a couple of months ago.

Tell her not to eat anything fatty, oily or greasy and don't drink alcohol. Those sort of foods make the pain much much worse and alcohol does also.

You can have the stones taken out without removing the whole gall bladder. They do it with a hoop like thing and scoop the stones out. It depends how big and how many stones there are if the gall bladder has to be taken out or not. Stephanies right, it is keyhole surgery, my mmu had it.

Keep an eye on your mums skin colour, check if she is jaundiced. If her skin starts to go a yellow-y colour or looks discoloured at all tell her to phone the hospital immediately. This means that a stone has gotten stuck and is blocking the tubes to her pancreas. This happened to my mum (pancreatitis) and appartently it is quite common.

Keep us updated!
xxxx

Have some composure, where is your posture?
x

Closed Thread