TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Lucy&themachine Offline
Lucy&themachine
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Elizabeth

Starving myself, how much fat would I loose - December 16th 2012, 03:25 PM

Ok so from my waist upwards I'm ok with but I want the gap between my legs! So I'm going to starv myself for 1 week, I don't want a Lecture on how bad it is I know I shouldn't be doing it but I've decided I am and no ones going to change that, what side effects does it have I know il feel like shit constantly but how much fat would I loose" and how long would I have to starv myself to it sctualky make an impact? Does making myself throw up help?? Also could it be very dangerous

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Stay determined
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Cara

Re: Starving myself, how much fat would I loose - December 16th 2012, 03:37 PM

Hi Lucy,

I know you said you didn't want a lecture but honestly starving yourself won't help you get the body you want. As soon as you start eating again your body will start turning that food into fat again since it worries that you'll not eat again for a long time. So any fat that you lose during this time of starvation will just got back on straight away.

Making yourself throw up isn't healthy either. You can damage your throat and oesophagus and it's just not very pleasant.

In the long term none of these ideas are going to help you get and keep the body you want. Also a gap between your legs doesn't necessarily mean you're healthy. People with curvier bodies naturally might find it hard to have a gap there.

If you want to get into shape I suggest exercising, 30 minutes per day, and eating healthier. These will help in the ling run even though it will take more time to see the changes.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Solivagant Offline
Previously Apple of your eye
I've been here a while

Name: Suv

Re: Starving myself, how much fat would I loose - December 16th 2012, 04:59 PM

Hey Lucy

You'll get yourself in a mess if you go about it this way. I know that this is not what you want to hear, but we are saying it because trying to stop you from doing this is the right thing to do. If you loose weight because you are not happy with how you look, then no matter how much weight you loose, you'll just get sucked more and more into this and will want to loose more and end up in a vicious never ending cycle. What I'll suggest is, talk to someone about how you are feeling. Work on your self image. Once you are comfortable with yourself, loosing weight healthily is not a problem at all. You can join a gym and they can help you to achieve the body that you'd like in a healthy manner by helping you with certain training.

Don't go about this the unhealthy way. Why? It makes things worse. It will create so many problems. Every time you starve and throw up, you mess up your body. You do irreparable damage to your body organs. And trust me, it is VERY unpleasant. You don't want to live with that. The ill effects of throwing up? Your stomach has HCl of pH 2. That strong acid in your mouth and oesophagus is definitely not what you want. Your stomach is equipped to handle the strong acid, there is nothing in your oesophagus or your mouth which will protect it from the damage of the acid. It'll destroy your teeth and even your taste buds.

As for starving, every organ of your body needs glucose to work. Every single bodily function needs it. Without glucose, they will all stop functioning. And the damage that this will do is irreparable. Even brain cells need glucose to function. That is why they tell you to eat right during exams or your brain stops functioning.

And when you eat after a week of starvation, it won't be very pleasant. Your body gets used to not eating and it will take weeks for it to get accustomed to eating. You'll have a lot of trouble digesting that food.

My point is, that it will all lead to increased troubles. So why not just reach out and talk to someone about how you feel and get a permanent solution to the problem? It is so much easier. It actually solves the problem. You do not deserve to feel this way. You are beautiful just the way you are. Don't hurt yourself. Reach out, feel better. You can feel so much better about yourself.

My PM box is always open in case you need to chat about anything.
Stay strong

"Words are, in my not so humble opinion, our most inexhaustible source of magic, capable of both inflicting injury and remedying it."

-Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

(#4 (permalink)) Old
i_like_black Offline
Awesomesauce.
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Jess

Re: Starving myself, how much fat would I loose - December 17th 2012, 08:55 AM

As a general rule when your body goes into starvation mode, it starts eating important things like muscle and organ tissue, and prioritises fat as something to KEEP in case it gets starved again.

If you really want to lose fat, do some decent cardio, do some resistance training, and stop eating junk food.

If you give your body the right fuel, and do the right exercise, you will lose fat, and you will have the added benefit of looking toned. Do it the smart way, you don't really want to give yourself a debilitating disorder.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Validity Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Jay
Location: In the deep, dark, treacherous place called my mind. Oh and Australia!

Re: Starving myself, how much fat would I loose - December 17th 2012, 09:00 AM

Hey there,

I know how easy it is to give in to that temptation of starving yourself to lose weight, but honestly, it puts on more than it takes off.
It's not healthy, it is bad for your body, and stores more fat because you aren't letting it have something it NEEDS. It isn't called a necessity for nothing.

It's like saying I won't let myself have oxygen because even if I'm breathing in oxygen I'm still getting hints of CO2 which isn't good.

Food is a must, if you want to lose weight, be healthy about it, eat plenty of fruits (in moderation) with protein, dairy etc etc. Do plenty of exercise but don't overdo it and drink plenty of water (It is a proven fact that if you stay hydrated you lose a percentage of fat).
If you'd like to have a look at this it will back up what I said about water helping prvent weight gain

So there you go,
hope I helped,

Jay.

Buddy since 18/11/12 LiveHelp Operator since 22/12/12 Add me on Facebook Jay Louise Shorrock!
A whisper in the dark; is better than silence in the light. -Courtesy of your's truly.
My blog is open to all, those whom are easily triggered avoid, it's a story about a girl and her life and how far she has come over the years. If you read it, I hope it inspires you to keep fighting and to NEVER give up!

When you can no longer think of a reason to continue, you must think of a reason to start over.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Lucy&themachine Offline
Lucy&themachine
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Starving myself, how much fat would I loose - December 17th 2012, 03:57 PM

I live in a very bad area and can't go out much, so what can I do, to get my legs skinny? Like what exercises, and is there anyway of making it fun?

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Kindred Offline
You can handle anything
I've been here a while

Name: Eyeliner Failure

Re: Starving myself, how much fat would I loose - December 17th 2012, 04:29 PM

Gotta love ignorance. Sorry if I come across as harsh- my intention is to shock you out of this.

You're setting yourself up for an eating disorder, which will make the rest of your life hell. Not only are you damaging yourself physically, by depriving yourself of something essential to survival, you're gonna damage yourself mentally as well. You'll lose your concentration, your personality, your sense of humour, the ability to focus on anything other than food. You'll probably become very depressed. Don't believe you'll get the mental effects? Go google the Minnesota starvation experiment, and see what food deprivation did to 50 healthy young males. You're body doesn't realise you're starving intentionally. It will fill your every waking thought with food, food, calories, food- because it wants you to eat, it wants you to find something to keep your body running.

Your body will start to shut down. Critical bodily processes like respiration will be slowed down, although your heart will have to work harder, and so will grow. This puts it under intense pressure, and greatly increases your risk of heart failure and death. Basically this means you'll feel tired, all of the time. You'll feel like at any moment you might collapse. You'll be weak, constantly. Don't misread weak as "fragile, vulnerable". No. People won't want to look after you, because they won't understand. Hell, I don't understand why you think this is a good idea. -.- Don't be lured into the whole 'You have to be skinnnnnnnnnnnny to die' because it is quite frankly bullshit; not eating will kill you regardless of your weight.

Back to the lovely side effects. Digestion! This is my favorite. Your bowel movements will fuck up- you'll either be constantly constipated, you'll get diarrhoea, you'll be gassy. Take laxatives and you'll make your bowel muscles become dependent on them, and you'll have to see a doctor. You might shit blood- that's always fun. If you make yourself throw up, you can say hello to a whole other bunch of digestional problems- say hello to spitting up random bits of food while you're talking, having rotting, yellow discoloured teeth, breath that constantly smells, potentially a torn esophagus that could kill you.

Nails. Nails turn yellow and flaky pretty damn quick. They'll snap and break off. They'll look icky, as will your hair, your skin. You'll look as bad as you'll feel. Your face will drain of any colour, you'll break out in spots, you'll wrinkle. Think aging 10 years in a year. You'll grow fuzz all over your skin, you'll grow a very attractive mustache, sideburns.

You don't want this. I know I'm being dreadfully harsh, but reading something similar to what I just wrote scared me out of an eating disorder, scared me out of starving myself. As a side note, you don't lose fat from not eating. You lose muscle, and water and then fat. You'll gain it all back when you start eating again- if you can. It's like being lured into a venus fly trap. You think you can stop whenever you want, then BAM you're trapped between death and a long hard road of trying to change your entire being.

I don't want this for you. I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy. Head up.

Take as long as you need.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Lucy&themachine Offline
Lucy&themachine
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Starving myself, how much fat would I loose - December 17th 2012, 05:11 PM

I've tried exercising though and it just doesn't work! How about weight loss tablets? And what's a eating disorder? If it where you can't eat?

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Kindred Offline
You can handle anything
I've been here a while

Name: Eyeliner Failure

Re: Starving myself, how much fat would I loose - December 17th 2012, 05:29 PM

Your body has a natural set point- the weight you are at my eating healthily and exercising. It will fight to stay at this set point. If you can't lose any weight by healthy methods, you're likely at your set point, and going any further down will have very bad health effects.

An eating disorder is where someone has disordered eating, is tortured by thoughts of fats and calories and weight loss, and is struggling with eating and/or body image.

Take as long as you need.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Eternal Offline
Lead Moderator

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Nicole

Re: Starving myself, how much fat would I loose - December 18th 2012, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy&themachine View Post
I've tried exercising though and it just doesn't work!
It isn't going to help overnight, or even after only a few days. Exercising is a regimen and a lifestyle that you have to stick to in order to get results. Not only will it help shape your body into something you'll like more, it does a lot of good things to your organs, especially your heart. Even if you aren't trying to lose weight, exercising is a good idea.
Quote:
How about weight loss tablets?
It's been debunked many times that these actually don't help at all. They say to use them along with a good diet and exercise. Well guess what, it's only the diet and exercise that will end up giving you results!
Quote:
And what's a eating disorder? If it where you can't eat?
An eating disorder is exactly what the name implies- a disorder in eating. It can range from anorexia nervousa where someone has trouble eating even small amounts of food (which is different from purposely starving yourself), bulimia, where someone binges on large amounts of food in a short amount of time and then purges (throws it up). There is also EDNOS, which is Eating Disorder Not Otherwise Specified. This would be if you have symptomes of bigger eating disorder categories, but don't fall under all of the restrictions. If you are considering starving yourself, or have already begun doing so, then you have an eating disorder.

And here you are living, despite it all.
Lead Moderator | Disputes Committee | HelpLINK Mentor

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Starving myself, how much fat would I loose - December 19th 2012, 04:06 PM

Eating disorders include things like bulemia and anorexia and body dismorphia. It's a disorder around eating... People who are anorexic literally don't eat enough, people with bulemia will force themselves to puke up the food they did eat and body dismorphia is where a person has a warped body image where they see their body in a negative way, the could be a healthy size and still see their body only for it's imperfections or see themselves as fat even though they are not. Often a negative body image is what leads to eating disorders, but I think they're sometimes linked to anxiety disorders like OCD for reasons I can't explain properly but I think it has something to do with the behaviour and mindset that a eating disorder involves.

Starving your self is really not the answer. It'll not affect your body the way you want it to. You're body fat always goes last because you're body stores it only to be used up once everything else is gone. So your body will go after other stuff like your muscles. And it'll majorly affect your attention span, your energy levels will be depleted and intense hunger tends to make people short tempered as well (results of hunger and energy loss). And even if you did some how manage to succeed doing this you would just end up being bony and having sunken in areas in place of muscle cause like I said the muscle gets eaten first. Ask pretty much every but boniness doesn't tend to be what people deem as being good or attractive, having muscle tone is a good thing and you don't want starvation to take that away from you, that's not a choice you should make for yourself.

As someone who has been working to lose weight for a very long time now you really can't expect things to just go a certain way over night. Your entire figure won't just change in a week. Just eat healthy, like don't over do the carbs (you don't need to eat 3 bowls of pasta for example, though I don't know many girls who can pull that off), and don't be eating chips or cookies everyday. And exercising at least 3-4 days a week is also very good. The problem with exercise, even if it is of (what I'd consider to be) the fun variation it's still hard at first to get into the habit of it... Like I can say that I honestly enjoy swimming lengths and running, but lots of people act like it'll kill them and I didn't always think it was fun either... Yoga seems to be a good hit (buy a dvd?), work out videos are usually fun and cheap if you want stuff to do at home. You can start running which is always good with a good playlist on your iPod (I've been doing it for so long that I have even forgotten to turn my ipod on and not even noticed until I pull the earbuds out and realized the noise didn't change, just the act of having my iPod and ear buds in my ears seems to cut it haha)... Yoga tends to be the thing I do on the days that I don't want to go the gym (or have to much else going on cause a 30 to 45 min thing in my living room takes less time than the 1.5 hours I need for the gym).
I've had personal trainers and nutritionists and because of that I've actually managed to set up a fairly decent system where I have made progress without having to do things that'll negatively impact me so if you want I can help you out just PM me... You CAN make your legs smaller I think as long as it is fat tissue, but muscle tone is a good thing

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions

(#12 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Starving myself, how much fat would I loose - December 20th 2012, 12:50 PM

There are likely two reasons your body hasn't lost weight 1) as stated by a previous poster your body might have reached its natural set weight (I.E. Equilibrium) and therefore does not need to lose anymore weight or 2) the exercising and healthy eating that you are doing is not going to show results over night, so to speak. Yeah, I suppose exercise and healthy eating can be tedious but it is a whole heck of a lot better for you then starving yourself.

I won't go into the details of what can happen because everyone else has already described that.

Here is what I suggest, go to your doctor and discuss with him or her whether or not you need to lose weight. From there discuss some of your options for a healthy lifestyle; maybe your doctor could help you find a dietitian or just give you some suggestions for meals and ways to exercise etc.

Best of luck.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Braydon Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Starving myself, how much fat would I loose - January 1st 2013, 04:23 PM

You should try to join a gym Lucy, Where instructor guide you what to do for slim and strong legs. where you can find exercise machines and proper guidance according to your requirements.

(#14 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Starving myself, how much fat would I loose - January 13th 2013, 03:46 PM

Please don't starve yourself. I know it might seem like a good idea but it's really not. I've been starving myself for about a year and it's horrible. You're constantly shaking and nothing you do can stop it no matter how hard you try and you will be constantly dizzy. I've fallen quite a few times because I was dizzy. If you think you can hide what you're doing to yourself from your friends and family, you can't. I was shaking so bad the other day one of my friends actually held me down and sat on me and wouldn't get up until I promised her I would eat something that day. If you want to starve yourself because you think it will make you feel better about yourself it won't. It will make you feel way way way worse. Every night I look in the mirror and cry because to me I look like an obese cow while everybody around me is begging me to eat because I look sickly. Please don't resort to starving yourself. You're just setting yourself for an eating disorder and I wouldn't wish that on anybody. If you want to make your legs thin do squats. They work miracles. Do as many as you can then on the last on hold it for a minute. If you've done them right your legs will hurt and feel like jello. Sorry about the long comment and sorry if it seems unorganized. I really hope you realize starving yourself isn't the answer. Best of luck!

Closed Thread