TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Toast Offline
lostinaworldofhate
I've been here a while

Name: Toast

Feeling tired all the time - April 17th 2009, 01:27 AM

Sorry if this turns into a rant.

I am starting to get really, really sick of being tired all the time. Several years ago, I just started feeling exhausted all the time. This was quite awhile ago, probably grade 6 or something. I don't know why, either. I am in good shape although I haven't been working out as much. I used to run most days and lift weights every second day last summer and fall, but right now I'm mostly just biking and playing with my dog for exercise. When I was running and stuff I still felt exhausted all the time. I've gotten at least two blood tests to see if I lack iron or something. I get long enough sleeps most of the time(Although I haven't been sleeping well lately for some reason, making this even worse). I don't drink coffee(it doesn't effect me) or pop regularly. I really don't know what to do. I do have a bit of depression and a lot of anxiety and I'm working on that(I'm taking Sertraline for it, too) but I don't think that's what is causing the tiredness. I'm not sure if I'm not sleeping well enough? I remember a friend of mine talking about getting "black out curtains" which you put up over the windows so it can be completely dark in your room. I may also have to kick my puppy out of my room, but this has been going on long before I had her. Does anyone else have any suggestions?

Heaven is high and earth wide. If you ride three feet higher above the ground than other men, you will know what that means. ~Rudolf C. Binding

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Naomi. Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Naomi

Re: Feeling tired all the time - April 17th 2009, 01:44 PM

um, you may have CFS i dont know but i read a book on it :S

but i dunno you might wanna ask i doctor (:

Dream ♥

Last edited by Naomi.; April 17th 2009 at 10:17 PM. Reason: i is not a doc :P

(#3 (permalink)) Old
ForeverAutumn* Offline
together, we are infinite.
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Feeling tired all the time - April 17th 2009, 06:15 PM

Do you know if a side effect of the Sertraline is drowsiness? I'm almost wondering if this could be caused by the med, in which case it would be best to speak with your doctor about switching to a different medication that won't make you as tired.

Otherwise, make sure you're eating well - three meals a day and such, this could also be caused by a lack of food [which means a lack of energy, as your body isn't getting the nutrients it needs to function]. I'd say to speak with your doctor again either way about this, if it's not a lack of iron it could be a lack of another vitamin. Also make sure you're sleeping at regular times, even if you're getting enough hours of sleep at night - having a set time to go to bed every night could help.

how could anyone ever tell you, you are anything less than beautiful?| PM Me
self-harm free since 06.10.11.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Sunshine☮ Offline
run til the sun burns out
Not a n00b

Name: Amber

Re: Feeling tired all the time - April 17th 2009, 11:11 PM

Hm, well both depression and anxiety causes fatigue, so maybe these two problems are causing you to be so tired. Depression also cause insomnia, which might explain your inability to sleep well. I'd suggest going to a doctor and asking about what you can do to relieve your fatigue and also maybe get some help in terms of depression and anxiety.

Take care! x

formerly know as Dori

most of the shadows of this life are caused
by our standing in our own
sunshine

Send a message via MSN to Sunshine☮  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
kimvia Offline
is asleep
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Kim

Re: Feeling tired all the time - April 18th 2009, 04:20 AM

I"m taking sertraline, but it hasn't made me sleepy, though for some people anti-depressants make people not care about anything and feel really lathargic (i had this when i was on prozac)
I do have hypothyroidism, and that makes me tired (and depressed, and unable to concentrate, and chubby, and a bunch of other stuff) but i've been taking synthroid for that , and its helped a lot! you might want to get your thyroid hormones checked
good luck!!!

PM me any time, ok? I'm always here to help.

What's the second amendment for?
Just in case the government takes away the first.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Toast Offline
lostinaworldofhate
I've been here a while

Name: Toast

Re: Feeling tired all the time - April 19th 2009, 07:26 PM

Thanks for the replies guys,
I'm sure it isn't the Sertraline because I haven't been taking it for very long, only since sometime in late January. I am seeing a psychologist about my depression and anxiety. I've got another doctor appointment booked in a few weeks so we'll see what happens then. I doubt it's from not eating enough as I keep gaining weight I'm worried it may be the depression and anxiety, which really sucks because I've had it for about 3 years now and I can't seem to get rid of it.

I have another question for you guys though, since you brought up the thyroid thing:
My mom had thyroid cancer when she was pregnant with me, and had surgery to remove half of it. Could this have affected me at all? I don't really see how it could have though.

Heaven is high and earth wide. If you ride three feet higher above the ground than other men, you will know what that means. ~Rudolf C. Binding

Closed Thread