TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Validity Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Jay
Location: In the deep, dark, treacherous place called my mind. Oh and Australia!

Question Eye sight - December 30th 2012, 08:15 AM

Okay, I know I wrote a thread about this AGES ago!

But, today this has been ridiculous!

Right now I can't see thirty centimeters in front of me and can't see much over 2 metres :/ I was trying to read the lettering on my closet door and it was so blurry and I had double vision I started getting a headache.

I am going to an optometrist in the new year to have my eyes checked... but do I need reading glasses or glasses to just use wherever? I don't want glasses and am sort of afraid there is pressure building behind my eyes. so if any of you guys who have glasses could tell me how it started out it would be MUCH appreciated!

Thanks guys,

Jay.

Buddy since 18/11/12 LiveHelp Operator since 22/12/12 Add me on Facebook Jay Louise Shorrock!
A whisper in the dark; is better than silence in the light. -Courtesy of your's truly.
My blog is open to all, those whom are easily triggered avoid, it's a story about a girl and her life and how far she has come over the years. If you read it, I hope it inspires you to keep fighting and to NEVER give up!

When you can no longer think of a reason to continue, you must think of a reason to start over.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Online
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: Eye sight - December 30th 2012, 06:05 PM

Hey Jay, I'm sorry to hear your vision is so bad. As somebody who has lost count of the number of problems I have with my own eyes/vision I empathize. I've been in glasses since I was 18 months old except between ages 7 and 12, so I don't know much different. What are your concerns about getting them? Trust me, when you see how much better your vision is with them it'll be worth it. If you really don't want them, contacts might be an option instead.

I also have pressure problems (which they told me I wasn't supposed to be able to feel) so I thought it was something else. If you have pressure or pain behind your eyes that is high enough for you to feel, there's a good chance you'll need medication for it and you might want to look into an opthemologist instead of an optometrist, but who ever you go to will know more than I do about which doctor can do what for you. I've never been to an optometrist because my eyes have always been worse than what they can handle. If the pain is more around your eyes and headaches etc, then it might just be eye strain. Let them know when you go in and they can check the pressure for you. Apparently they can also see if it's causing problems when they look in there. If it turns out you have glaucoma (the medical term for high eye pressure) there will be additional tests, but nothing will hurt or anything.

Whether you're near-sighted or far sighted really depends on what is blurry. If you can't see close up you'll probably only need glasses for reading, if far away is blurry then you'll probably need glasses all the time. As long as you don't lose them or scratch them glasses aren't so bad.

If you have any questions at all please ask me and I'll tell you what I know and more about what I've experienced. I went ahead and made my text larger for you, hope that helps a little

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Solivagant Offline
Previously Apple of your eye
I've been here a while

Name: Suv

Re: Eye sight - December 30th 2012, 06:12 PM

Hai Jay

I started wearing glasses about 3-4 years ago. I wear them for distant objects.

It is very normal to get a headache when your eyes are getting strained. A lot of muscle work and accomodation going on which leads to it. There can be numerous reasons why your eyes are giving you trouble. It can be the lens, cornea, eyeball size or anything else. Your doctor will do the required tests (Don't worry, they don't hurt at all) and based on the results he'll tell you what type of lenses you'll need in your glasses. There is more to glasses than just the reading type and the far away kind. You might need the cylindrical lens or normal lenses. Basically, it all depends on which part of your eye is altered.

Your doctor will tell you how much you'll need to wear them and during which activities. It depends on the kind of problem with your eyes.

Also, if you are someone who drops things a lot, I'll recommend that you get good quality lens in your glasses because the lenses get scratches when you drop your glasses and scratches don't do any good for your vision.

I hated wearing glasses at first. But then I found lovely frames which compliment my face and now I won't take them off.

Do go to the doctor as soon as possible or things will just get worse.

Good luck!

"Words are, in my not so humble opinion, our most inexhaustible source of magic, capable of both inflicting injury and remedying it."

-Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

Last edited by Solivagant; December 30th 2012 at 06:24 PM.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Validity Offline
I can't get enough

Location: In the deep, dark, treacherous place called my mind. Oh and Australia!

Re: Eye sight - December 31st 2012, 05:25 AM

Thanks guys for answering,

The glasses themselves aren't what concerns me. It's just that I dont know whether to be pissing myself or relaxed (I have a blood clot in my brain and headaches are a symptom but also if the pressure is high enough it could ruin my eyes).
I was diagnosed with long distance eye sight (he said I should have been able to read the bottom line and I tried and failed haha.)
So, yeah, whenever I wear my friends glasses for fun people always complain about how blurred they are but on me they are fine so yeah.

Jay.

Buddy since 18/11/12 LiveHelp Operator since 22/12/12 Add me on Facebook Jay Louise Shorrock!
A whisper in the dark; is better than silence in the light. -Courtesy of your's truly.
My blog is open to all, those whom are easily triggered avoid, it's a story about a girl and her life and how far she has come over the years. If you read it, I hope it inspires you to keep fighting and to NEVER give up!

When you can no longer think of a reason to continue, you must think of a reason to start over.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
i_like_black Offline
Awesomesauce.
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Jess

Re: Eye sight - December 31st 2012, 06:02 AM

I had to see opthalmologists from before I can actually remember.

I was born with a lazy eye, it was operated on, I had to wear a patch, it didn't correct, first pair of glasses when I was 6, they got stolen. I didn't get another pair until I was 9 (poor family) and my teacher was complaining about how unfocussed and grumpy I became throughout the day - poor eyesight and trouble focussing on whiteboards is very tiring.

I've been wearing glasses pretty much non-stop ever since and have had my lenses changed a few times - due to the stigmatism (and the fact that my eyes are just retarded) my vision is still changing and is in fact degrading. I have no idea if I will go blind or not, it's not entirely out of the question.

Wearing glasses isn't so bad, it takes a few weeks to adjust, and you do get headaches to start with (the same thing happens when you get new lenses) but it goes away pretty quick, and being able to see clearly is so nice. It's like swapping to HD after playing a game from the 80s with massive pixels . . . everything's just so much clearer.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Validity Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Eye sight - December 31st 2012, 06:11 AM

I saw an opthamologist while in hospital and it didn't reveal much... she told me I had perfect eye sight but wasn't testing me on my blind spots (the 30 centimeter mark and two meters... it was quite easy seeing the damn massive number on a book that lay in front of me.. Saying that though, Mater is a shit hospital so yeah.

Jay.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Maloo Offline
Maloooooo
I can't get enough

Name: Lissa

Re: Eye sight - December 31st 2012, 11:43 PM

I wanted to add that you shouldn't ever wear someone else's glasses. It can damage your eyes more.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Validity Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Eye sight - December 31st 2012, 11:48 PM

Her eye sight is the same as mine and I couldn't see very well that day so I asked if I could borrow them and it relaxed my eyes which is good.

Jay.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Braydon Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Eye sight - January 1st 2013, 04:08 PM

Always use your classes if you use the glasses of any other it can create many eye sight problems. To keep your eye sight better try to eat carrots in raw form and take carrot juice. In food fish is very good for eye sight.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Validity Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Eye sight - January 1st 2013, 11:51 PM

Hey there,

Mum doesn't like me eating raw carrots due to the fact they are hard to digest. I have cooked carrots a lot, but am thinking I might have eye strain. Would I still require glasses for eye strain?

Jay.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Validity Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Eye sight - January 1st 2013, 11:51 PM

Double post, sorry.

Just to clarrify, I don't HAVE glasses, but I may require them for reading. Like above question: "Would I require glasses for eye strain?"

Also, curse this damn tiny script, it;s giving me a headache

Jay.

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Online
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: Eye sight - January 2nd 2013, 02:30 AM

Glasses would correct your vision and let your eyes relax, but you wouldn't need glasses for eye strain alone, you'd need them for the blurry vision that was causing the strain.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

Last edited by Kate*; January 2nd 2013 at 03:21 AM.

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Validity Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Eye sight - January 2nd 2013, 03:41 AM

Thank you.

I'll be going to the optometrist soon, I have a referral from my doctor to see one

Jay.

(#14 (permalink)) Old
Awesometastic44 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Eye sight - January 5th 2013, 03:14 AM

I wear reading glasses i am wearing them right now.

Closed Thread