TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Blood tests - January 8th 2013, 09:00 PM

So, I've been on iron tablets for Anaemia a few times. The first time it was left until I was passing out several times a day and throwing up which was while I was in a unit. I started shaking while I passed out and staff thought I was fitting which was when I has tests. Because my self harm was severe, I'd had quite severe blood loss too and my doctor told me if I continued self harming as badly, it might lead to a blood transfusion and of course, he said that the blood loss could easily caused my Anaemia.

Now, more recently. I have been getting headaches, some severe, some not. I've been prescribed both Codeine and Naproxen for this. I've waiting for some tests results to see whether it could be related to thinks like kidney problems, liver failure, blood clotting etc. But I'm still getting headaches. I've also been having nose bleeds a bit too. A few times they've been bad but I get spots of blood every day. I am getting my eyes tested next week to rule that out too.

I'm exhausted all the time. I get dry skin, eczema and my hair falls out. My asthma nurse said a doctor who I recently saw wrote she was concerned about my red cells blood count and that this could be related to anaemia which could be the thing triggering my asthma at the moment, but nothing has been done about it. I nearly got sent home from work this afternoon because I just felt so tired.

I don't eat any veg or fruit, ever. I don't eat meat or fish because I'm a vegetarian. I know my diet is bad.

So I was wondering, with all of this going on, am I able to ask my doctor for blood tests to check for iron deficiency etc? I just feel so ill al the time and so tried its so frustrating.

Thanks for any help.

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

Last edited by Palmolive; January 8th 2013 at 09:08 PM.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
SparklingWine Offline
Normality, my friends.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Lynds :)

Re: Blood tests - January 8th 2013, 09:39 PM

You're definitely within your rights to ask for blood tests. If you're concerned for your health and you think a blood test would be beneficial, then ask for one. So, long story made short- my friend gave birth to a pre mature baby. He was in the hospital his whole life, and while on life support, the mother made a decision the doctors advised against. Her call ended up saving her child. Moral of the story is, you know your body best. A blood test can't hurt. And your concerns are legitimate. I would suggest that you talk to your doctor and request blood tests

Send a message via AIM to SparklingWine Send a message via MSN to SparklingWine  
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
i_like_black Offline
Awesomesauce.
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Jess

Re: Blood tests - January 8th 2013, 09:40 PM

Of course you can ask your doctor for a blood test to check for anaemia . . . they might even have one of those finger-prick iron level testers that they use when you want to give blood. (Much quicker than a standard blood test, only reason I mentioned it.)

In the mean time, if you think it could be anaemia, you could try picking up a supplement at the supermarket or pharmacy. I got one that has both iron and vitamin C (you need vitamin C to absorb iron) and it worked for me because I wasn't too severely anaemic at the time.

With regards to your diet, no meat and no fruit/veg leaves you with basically a wide selection of carbs . . . there's nothing wrong with being vegetarian, provided you actually eat vegetables - and fruit too. Even just one piece of fruit/veg a day can help more than you could probably imagine. Carbs are great for energy but horrible for nutrition, with the exception of fibre really. You know this, I am sure.

But anyway, it's perfectly reasonable to ask for a blood test to check your cell counts. When I was severely anaemic I also had low haemoglobin and practically no B12, and all those levels are related. So yes, sure, ask for that blood test.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Re: Blood tests - January 8th 2013, 09:44 PM

I don't eat that much of carbs either I don't really know what I live off, aha. I eat quorn most days instead or just have like soup.

I might ring in the morning and ask about it, thanks guys

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

Closed Thread