TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
xSebastian Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Sebastian

Lightbulb Tips on loosing weight? - January 10th 2013, 10:26 PM

Alright so I'm 16 and I weight some extra pounds. I used to eat all I wanted and not care what people thought of me but I guess my mind set has changed from my last vacation. I just want to lose some pounds. I am currently cutting rice and ALL junk food out of my diet, I normally eat a normal breakfast, drink water all day until dinner where I eat a small portion and no rice at all. Everyday I attend school and after school I go on my thread mill for 20 minutes, after that I go out and ride my bike around or just hang out with friends. I want to know any tips, tricks or advise on loosing weight and if there is something specific that I should do or not do, also any good workouts to loose belly fat and leg fag. I am really dedicated to loose weight at this point. Any advise, tips or anything of that nature would be very much appreciated, thank you.

Last edited by xSebastian; January 10th 2013 at 11:07 PM. Reason: Weight numbers are not allowed on TeenHelp under the Code of Conduct

(#2 (permalink)) Old
i_like_black Offline
Awesomesauce.
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Jess

Re: Tips on loosing weight? - January 10th 2013, 11:08 PM

Cardio for fat loss is good, but you need to be doing an hour of moderate to intense exercise daily at your age. Just increasing your activity levels and cutting out junk should honestly be enough to lose weight, at 16 and male you're probably still growing so you don't want to cut out too much, also you have testosterone, which actually speeds up weight loss and makes it easier to gain muscle tone if you start doing resistance exercises.

And if you wanted extra motivation, why not pick a sport you like and play it casually? Then you get to meet new people too, and have something more interesting to do than just pounding away on a treadmill each day.

Basically, the changes you've made are good ones. Keep up with eating fruit and vegetables, and if you're cutting out carbs you're going to need more protein for energy, such as meats and dairy products. Most people actually need carbs whilst they're growing, so perhaps consider brown rice instead of white rice? It's an easy change.

The only ways to maintain a healthy weight that work are to eat healthy, nutritious food (don't starve yourself), and exercise regularly.

Also please remember that results take time.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Validity Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Jay
Location: In the deep, dark, treacherous place called my mind. Oh and Australia!

Re: Tips on loosing weight? - January 10th 2013, 11:33 PM

Don't completely cut out carbohydrates such as rice, rice does not actually make you put on weight surprisingly, well, depending on how much you eat of it. Everything should be in moderation and don't over-exercise there are problems in that field to.

Jay.

Buddy since 18/11/12 LiveHelp Operator since 22/12/12 Add me on Facebook Jay Louise Shorrock!
A whisper in the dark; is better than silence in the light. -Courtesy of your's truly.
My blog is open to all, those whom are easily triggered avoid, it's a story about a girl and her life and how far she has come over the years. If you read it, I hope it inspires you to keep fighting and to NEVER give up!

When you can no longer think of a reason to continue, you must think of a reason to start over.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Vergil Offline
I am Jeff's Profile
Not a n00b

Re: Tips on loosing weight? - January 12th 2013, 02:41 PM

Like they have said don't cut out the carbs completely. Carbs is what your body kinda needs for energy. But for weight loss Get a good ratio of Proteins, Carbs, and healthy fats. For meal wise in the mornings eat a food with a low GI index, like porridge or oat meal while adding a bit of fruit into it. For lunch eat a lean meat like fish, turkey breast or chicken breast with a side of low fat yogurt and water. And for dinner just eat a healthy dinner making sure it has some healthy greens and meats. And its good that you cut down on the junk foods. But it also doesnt hurt to have one day a week were you can eat any food you want (within moderation of course)

And like someone said above cardio is good for weight loss. But it also wouldnt hurt to either add some weight training ie lifting or doing some calisthenics (bodyweight) workouts. Get a good mix of cardio with bodyweight workouts or lifting and youll do good for weight loss plus youll get a bit stronger aswell.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
xSebastian Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Sebastian

Re: Tips on loosing weight? - January 13th 2013, 02:03 PM

Thank you for all the helpful advice.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Tips on loosing weight? - January 13th 2013, 03:50 PM

Like everyone else has been saying, don't totally cut out your carbs, just limit your intake of them and focus more on other foods such as fruit, vegetables and meats (especially chicken, fish and even eggs). The most important thing I found helpful was cutting out processed foods, fast foods and general restaurant made foods. So for example, cutting down on things like chips, oreos and so on would be quite beneficial. Limiting your intake of pop (ex. drinking diet when you do drink it and giving preference to things like water, juice, tea or coffee--so things with a good nutritional value and/or no calories, sugar and fat--drinking water is the big one but you CAN have stuff that's not water). And don't eat wings, pizza, pasta, McDonalds etc, all the time. I used to a lot and I think it worked against me so what I did was set small goals. Like I'd only go out for food or get take out for one meal a week and make my food the other days, and then I went to every 2 weeks, and now I only really go out for food on the occasions that that's what I am doing with friends (so maybe once a month, maybe twice a month depending whats going on), which is an improvement considering that I was getting take out on my own in addition to how ever many times I'd go with my friends initially.... And that is actually a good example, making small realistic goals to improve on your eating habits actually makes it easier, it is possible it's true that just cutting out certain things like carbs (bread, rice etc) will make you lose weight faster, but I personally prefer to advocate developing a healthy way of living that you can maintain because if you are eating properly your body will lose weight down to a healthy size, it might just involve many little tweaks to your diet until you find what works for you so it might take a bit longer but as long as your going in the right direction you should see changes in your body. You can also see a nutritionist if you are having difficulties doing it on your own. But as someone who has been through this (still going through this) I would be happy to help you out on my own if you PM me.

As for exercise, cardio does help--running, biking, swimming, you name it. You should set some goals because if you are only ever doing 20 minutes you will get bored and it won't challenge your body to change any more eventually. So you should make goals to run 3.1 miles (5 kilometres) or to work up to running 6.5 miles an hour in that 20 minute period or what ever else. Doing weight training is also very beneficial. If you don't have access to any weights you can use your body by doing things like push ups, sit ups, Russian twists, lunges, squats and calf raises as well as many other exercises. You can also use objects to give you resistance when trying to build arm muscle. But you can usually get dumbbells at places like Canadian Tire, Kmart, Walmart, Sportchek, and so on for a reasonable price, I have a few and they weren't outrageously expensive or anything, I think they were $30-ish, can't remember fully because it's been so long since I bought them.

But yeah, find a way to fit healthy eating and exercise into your schedule and make tweaks until you start seeing the results you need and want. Just remember to be realistic. Go for what can last, long term healthy solutions where you can eat what you like and not cut things out. I am a firm believer that a person should never deprive themselves of food they want and that isn't technically unhealthy (so like bread and rice... NOT like chocolate and cookies) just so that they can see FASTER results, it's one thing if you have to such as if you are lactose intolerant, allergic to peanuts/nuts, etc. but otherwise I believe that it is unnecessary because it is possible to have a healthy body weight without doing that, it's just that you've got to be patient enough to make tweaks.

PM me if you want to talk more

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions

Last edited by Always *; January 13th 2013 at 04:00 PM.

Closed Thread