TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Fenzy Offline
Only dogs should fear pounds.
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Cassie

Anemia? - January 13th 2013, 09:06 PM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of eating disorders, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

I write on here a lot, I know. But I have soo many questions

You don't have to answer this if it's triggering or makes you feel bad or what not.. it's totally fine, I understand. But I have questions about anemia and I don't really like looking things up on google because I never know if they're true or not so I'm asking anyone who has/had anemia. I did look up some symptoms and I do have some of them but I don't want to just go by that because I'm already kinda worried. What symptoms did you get (if any)? How did you find out that you had it? And is it possible to fix it and get it back? Any other information would be great.. thank you very much<3

I put this under ED because I've heard it can be from malnutrition caused by eating disorders. I have EDNOS so I was wondering if that could be it..

Last edited by Fenzy; January 13th 2013 at 09:13 PM.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Re: Anemia? - January 13th 2013, 09:37 PM

Hi there

I first struggled with Anaemia about two years ago while I was in-patient. I started throwing up a lot, passing out several times a day and at point, started uncontrollably shaking while I had passed out which caused staff to think I was fitting, which is when I had blood tests. That's when I found out I had iron deficiency. I was put on iron tablets, simple. Second time round I had blood tests simply because I was tired all the time and often went dizzy.

Signs:
- Tiredness
- Weakness
- Problems with breathing
- Pale skin
- Chest pain
- Rapid heart beat
- Low blood pressure

I've been on iron tablets twice since then. Blood tests can determine whether you have Anaemia or not. And tablets can be brought from places like chemists. However, from experience I know doctors can prescribe different ones, depending on the severity (I think) of the anaemia. And while it is easily treated, if it is un left and it becomes serious, it can have serious affects. Blood transfusions may be needed. In worst cases it can leas to tachycardia and heart failure.

I was told mine was caused my blood loss. I think I may be Anaemic again, but probably because of diet. So, yes, blood loss (trauma and even simple things like heavy periods) and diet can be the cause. I think things like stomach ulcers can be a cause too. Some people have Malabsorption which is where your body doesn't absorb iron from food.

If you think you're Aneamic, I suggest you go to see your doctor for blood tests.

Hope this helps
Jessie

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

Last edited by Palmolive; January 13th 2013 at 09:43 PM.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
SparklingWine Offline
Normality, my friends.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Lynds :)

Re: Anemia? - January 13th 2013, 09:47 PM

I'm going to move this to General health, as I feel you'll get a better range of responses in that section. And although, your last question pertains to your ED, the post as a whole is about anaemia PM me if you have any questions!

Send a message via AIM to SparklingWine Send a message via MSN to SparklingWine  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Fenzy Offline
Only dogs should fear pounds.
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Cassie

Re: Anemia? - January 13th 2013, 10:36 PM

Thank you<3
I have symptoms of it.. but that doesn't mean a whole lot.
I have low blood pressure as I'm told, I'm ALWAYS tired even after getting 8 hours or more of sleep (but this could be because I don't eat a lot). I have pale skin and sometimes I get a rapid heart beat for no reason. I haven't actually gotten my period yet and I'm almost 16. I've been told that it was going to come soon.. but that was over 6 months ago before I started my disordered eating habits. I have gotten blood tests before but not for anemia, they weren't looking for that. Is it possible theyjust overlooked it? Or it developed later? My friends say I'm lucky but I swear the day I get it I will be sooo happy just to know that I'm okay

Closed Thread