TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
bitesize Offline
Member since April '07
Outside, huh?

Alleviating chest pain after asthma attack..?? - January 16th 2013, 03:40 PM

I didn't exactly have an asthma attack today but as I have bad breathing at the moment and had left a working inhaler at home I had trouble breathing from about 11 to 4 today in college. Not quite a full-blown attack (a working inhaler would have sorted it out) but pretty crappy all the same.

I'm feeling better now that I'm at home with medication but it hurts my lungs to breathe in and my shoulders are really sore as well.

I've had asthma for 19 years but I've never had pain like this after an attack!! Is there anything I can do to lessen it??

Honey, you're familiar, like my mirror, years ago
I slithered here from Eden just to sit outside your door
Níl a shíltear mar a bhítear.
Things are not always what they seem.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Hypothesis. Offline
Not significant.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Re: Alleviating chest pain after asthma attack..?? - January 17th 2013, 09:37 PM

Hey there,

I know that sometimes I get pain like that after an asthma attack if it is ongoing with a lot of coughing or if I strain to breathe. If you were coughing at all or straining to breathe it could be that you have pulled muscles or have worked your chest muscles a bit much. A lot of the time after I have an attack I have to rest a bit (basically do day to day stuff but don't exert myself) so I make sure I don't cause myself any other breathing troubles, and if I get soreness after the fact I take a warm bath or shower and put a heating pad over the sore area to reduce some of the pain. If you want, you can take an OTC pan reliever as long as you don't react to them (some people have asthma problems due to these meds. While I haven't, use your best judgment). But, if that doesn't work I try to tough it out the best of my ability because I know that the sore muscles will go away. I'm bad at this too sometimes, but try and keep your inhaler with you at all times. Maybe put it somewhere where you'll see it in the morning, like by your keys or something else you take with you daily, so you can see it and think, "Hey, I have to take this with me."

Sorry if this didn't help much but I basically gave you what I do when I get that much pain. Maybe someone else can add on. If this gets worrisome to you, though, it's okay to consult your doctor to be on the safe side.

Feel better!

-Dez

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Music Offline
Thoroughly medicated
I've been here a while

Name: Richard

Re: Alleviating chest pain after asthma attack..?? - January 18th 2013, 11:56 AM

I'm sure you know this but I have to say it, try to always bring your inhaler with you.
As Dez said, you probably strained a muscle from struggling to take full breaths all day long. You should rest, take a warm (not hot) bath or shower (but don't take a really long one as this could make it feel worse). And then rest some more!
Also, as Dez said again, be careful if you choose to take any pain medications. Some people with asthma will have attacks caused by ingredients in these medications (either the main ingredients or the filler ingredients). You know best how and if you'll react to any medication so use your best judgment.

If it still hurts after a few days I would go get it checked by your GP.

Member since 2005
  Send a message via MSN to Music  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
MindBodySpirit Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Not Michael

Re: Alleviating chest pain after asthma attack..?? - January 19th 2013, 12:46 AM

If it's muscular, massage can help. However, diaphragm work can be uncomfortable if you do get a massage. Last time I had a "diaphragm release", it helped my breathing immensely. I had actually managed to strain some of my breathing muscles, and after they healed, I couldn't take a deep breath for several months. It was a chronic problem, but now it's starting to get better with regular treatment.

I cannot guarantee that all massage therapists would even know how to do a diaphragm release, but if you can find one, I recommend it. However, if your asthma is bad, the massage therapist may ask for permission from your doctor.

Either way, if the pain doesn't go away, go to your GP first.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
bitesize Offline
Member since April '07
Outside, huh?

Re: Alleviating chest pain after asthma attack..?? - January 27th 2013, 08:15 PM

Thanks for the help guys. I usually have an inhaler with me 100% of the time, and this time I had two, but they'd both run out...such bad luck!!

Honey, you're familiar, like my mirror, years ago
I slithered here from Eden just to sit outside your door
Níl a shíltear mar a bhítear.
Things are not always what they seem.

Closed Thread