TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
<3
Regular TeenHelper

Swallowing Pills - January 26th 2013, 05:18 PM

I'm not even sure if these is a "fear of choking" but ever since I was old enough to start swallowing pills I've had trouble.

I lock up. I'll get the pill in my mouth, put it in the back, but for some reason I lock up. The biggest I can take is an aleve caplet. I've taken a pillcam before- but that was a horrible nightmare. I had to physically shove the pill down my throat.

I'm not sure where this fear came from. I don't even know if it's a fear of choking. I don't invision myself choking. There's just this weird...mental block. Though I'm sure it doesn't help that I choked on a peanut as a kid or that the first time I had to swallow pills my Grandma and Mom were there giving me the worst time about it.

Guys, this is something I cry over. This is something that deeply upsets me whenever I have to swallow a pill bigger than what I'm used to. I recently found out that I had to take a certain kind of pill four times a day (for my UC) and it's HUGE. I cried over it. I'm supposed to take this one pill right now so that I won't get the flu. It's weird in density and long and I'm crying because some damn mental block is keeping me from swallowing it. I can't talk to anyone in my family about it because no one else has this problem. Everyone else just thinks I'm being a big baby about it.

If I could I would swallow pills like a pro! I wish I could because it's so trivial and that's the reason why everyone pressures me for it too.

WHAT CAN I DO? IS THIS NORMAL? IS THERE SOMETHING WRONG WITH ME?!

(#2 (permalink)) Old
smileyCathy Offline
~Swiftie <3
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Catherine

Re: Swallowing Pills - January 26th 2013, 06:33 PM

When I was younger I had that problem too. I was a little scared of swallowing pills. How bigger or longer they were how scarier they were. But I got passed it
I got over it by practicing: I swallowed ice that had the same size as the pill. I thought if I can swallow something bigger then the pill then I can swallow the pill.
I think it's a phase, you'll get over it and there's nothing wrong with you

Hope I helped you!

x Cathy

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Music Offline
Thoroughly medicated
I've been here a while

Name: Richard

Re: Swallowing Pills - January 26th 2013, 07:45 PM

I used to have that problem and I still do if I take it with water. I find taking it with milk or yogurt really helps because I don't even notice I'm swallowing the pill then.
I got over the issue the more I took medication so maybe you'll get used to it?

Member since 2005
  Send a message via MSN to Music  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
EmisaurusRex Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Em

Re: Swallowing Pills - January 26th 2013, 08:10 PM

Have you ever tried putting pills in applesauce or something like that to swallow them? Or perhaps you could talk to your doctor about how much trouble you have, and see if they could prescribe you medication that can either be crushed into powder or cut into smaller pieces, or maybe even liquid medicine. Your doctor may have some other suggestions for you that could ease how anxious/upset you get when swallowing a pill. Perhaps it'd be good to do something that is calming for you right before you take a pill? Something that can get your mind off the actual act of swallowing it?

A lot of people have a hard time taking pills--you're not alone in that, or weird for having trouble with it.
I hope you find something that helps you

Great works are performed not by strength, but by perseverance.
PM me anytime <3

(#5 (permalink)) Old
EmisaurusRex Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Em

Re: Swallowing Pills - January 26th 2013, 08:10 PM

Have you ever tried putting pills in applesauce or something like that to swallow them? Or perhaps you could talk to your doctor about how much trouble you have, and see if they could prescribe you medication that can either be crushed into powder or cut into smaller pieces, or maybe even liquid medicine. Your doctor may have some other suggestions for you that could ease how anxious/upset you get when swallowing a pill. Perhaps it'd be good to do something that is calming for you right before you take a pill? Something that can get your mind off the actual act of swallowing it?

A lot of people have a hard time taking pills--you're not alone in that, or weird for having trouble with it.
I hope you find something that helps you

Great works are performed not by strength, but by perseverance.
PM me anytime <3

(#6 (permalink)) Old
<3
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Swallowing Pills - January 26th 2013, 08:49 PM

I think what gives me the most grief is how everyone I know around me can do it just fine. And then there's me. And I get so much flack from everyone else about it. "You're gonna have to learn how to take pills." "It's not that hard!" "Mariah! Take the pill!"

I don't get much support for not being able to swallow a pill. And it scares me because I know that as I get older I'm just going to have to take more. And I'm just waiting to get to that one important pill that can't be downsized or converted to a different kind of pill (liquid, chewable, etc) because I've been told that's going to happen.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Obliviate Offline
Mother of Dragons
I've been here a while

Re: Swallowing Pills - January 26th 2013, 09:02 PM

Maybe it's your anxiety over the whole thing that's giving you the block in the first place?

Try relaxing... deep breaths and have a warm drink on hand. Normally tea or something like that is best because it relaxes your throat. Take a few big gulps of the liquid and then do the same but with the pill this time. You've proved to yourself that you can swallow smaller medication so YOU CAN DO IT!

I like the ice suggestion too!

Good luck dear x

(#8 (permalink)) Old
i_like_black Offline
Awesomesauce.
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Jess

Re: Swallowing Pills - January 26th 2013, 09:19 PM

My elder brother is 26, and he has exactly the same problem as you. Luckily he doesn't have to take pills very often, but he finds it nearly impossible to swallow them. A smaller pill in his case actually didn't help, but taking it the way a dog would - chew up a mouthful of food, put the pill in the food (yes, the food in your mouth that you already chewed up), and swallow it that way, had some success. He used mashed potatoes.

And then if you're really desperate, having forced a pill down your own throat in the past, you know those pill popper things they use for cats? You could use one of those the same way. You'd be popping the pill into the back of your throat, and then all you'd have to do is swallow . . . but if you're anything like my brother, the actual act of swallowing is probably the hard part.

Most pills do have liquid forms, but they act differently, and there's always going to be a couple of medications that simply only come in pill form, so experiment with lots of different ways of taking pills until you find something that works.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
<3
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Swallowing Pills - January 26th 2013, 11:48 PM

^ It is definitely the act of swallowing that bugs me.

And I've tried the food thing, but for me, I know it's there and that's enough to keep me from swallowing.

Even the smaller pills I take every day gives me trepidation. I don't swallow it immediately. It can take me a few seconds to about a minute or two to swallow it- it just depends on the day.

I think practice is definitely key, and I think training my gag reflex to not flip out so easily would be in my best interest.

Closed Thread