TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Pain. - February 15th 2013, 03:00 PM

I'm having very bad tension headaches and have been for about three months. I've been on different pain killers (things like codeine and Naproxen) but the headaches still get very bad and I was wondering if anyone had any ways to try and dull the pain at all? I've looked into places I can get acupuncture in my area but it's so expensive. :/

Secondly, I'm having bad pains in my side from my liver. I've been told to try and lay of medication (So im trying not to take painkillers for my headaches as much) and been asked to talk to my psych about my meds etc since my liver is in stages of repairing and its all to harsh which is causing the pain I'm getting. But my last "severe" overdose was December, what is the amount of time it takes? Because no doctors have told me ways to help with the pain and sometimes I get in such agony and I feel at a lost cause.

Hope it made sense and any advice would be lovely, for real, Thanks. <3

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Pain. - February 15th 2013, 09:57 PM

Have you had an MRI or cat scan or anything like that? If you are getting severe headaches and there is no environmental cause it might be a good thing to do.

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Outside, huh?

Name: Cathy

Re: Pain. - February 15th 2013, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmolive View Post
I'm having very bad tension headaches and have been for about three months. I've been on different pain killers (things like codeine and Naproxen) but the headaches still get very bad and I was wondering if anyone had any ways to try and dull the pain at all? I've looked into places I can get acupuncture in my area but it's so expensive. :/

Secondly, I'm having bad pains in my side from my liver. I've been told to try and lay of medication (So im trying not to take painkillers for my headaches as much) and been asked to talk to my psych about my meds etc since my liver is in stages of repairing and its all to harsh which is causing the pain I'm getting. But my last "severe" overdose was December, what is the amount of time it takes? Because no doctors have told me ways to help with the pain and sometimes I get in such agony and I feel at a lost cause.

Hope it made sense and any advice would be lovely, for real, Thanks. <3
For the headaches, are you sure they're tension headaches? Have you ever thought that they could possibly be Migraines?

What part of your head is experiencing the worse of the pain? Is it the front? Back? Left Side? Right Side? A combination of some of these?

If it was a Tension Headache, you would feel mild-moderate pain or pressure that affects the front, top or sides of the head.

But, since you side these headaches are "Bad", it got me to thinking it could possibly be a Migraine.

If it was a Migraine, then you would feel moderate-severe pain, that is often described as a pounding, throbbing pain and can affect the whole head, or can shift from one side of the head to the other side.

Take a look at this link that describes all the types of headaches: http://www.webmd.com/migraines-heada...aches-symptoms

As for your liver, have you ever been tested for Hepatitis?
If you don't know what Hepatitis is it is when the liver starts to swell and becomes inflammed. There are three types of Heptatitis. There's Hepatitis A, B, or C. I put some links to each form of Hepatitis.

http://www.webmd.com/hepatitis/hepa-...tis-a-symptoms
http://www.webmd.com/hepatitis/hepb-...tis-b-symptoms
http://www.webmd.com/hepatitis/hepc-...tis-c-symptoms

You may not have Hepatitis, but just to me and when I researched your symptoms, it brought up Hepatitis as one of the search results.

As for dealing with the pain without taking the painkillers, sadly, there really isn't much that you can do except for just to live with it. Maybe you try to take a nap whenever you get a headache. That's what I usually try to do whenever I get a headache.

Have you tried taking Ibuprofen? I don't think Ibuprofen will affect your liver that much, but maybe you should check with your doctor before you try anything.

I hope this helps you out a little bit.

Member Since 1/15/2012

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Re: Pain. - February 16th 2013, 12:04 AM

My doctor called an ambulance out for me to go to hospital for a MRI yesterday because he was worried of bleeding in the brain and liver. The doctor at the hospital didn't do one because there were no signs like sickness so it was unlikely it was that. But I have been bringing up blood but I have been told the headaches are just tension.

Ibuprofen trigger my asthma and since I'm not supposed to be taking many pills because of my liver, I'm trying not too.

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Pain. - February 16th 2013, 01:37 AM

Ask your doctor to give you a referral thing for the MRI. Like he can make you an appointment if he's like "yes, it is medically necessary" then it'll get covered by insurance or provincial health care or what ever else. If this other doctor has no experience with you he may not have understood why it was important and didn't want to do an expensive medical test for a reason he didn't fully understand.

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Never Forget Hope
I can't get enough

Name: Kelly

Re: Pain. - February 17th 2013, 05:22 PM

An MRI is recommended, certainly.

I have TERRIBLE tension headaches. They feel like a migraine, except light or sound do not bother me. Rather, movement kills my head. Or just lying down or sitting up. Tension headaches can also cause vision disturbances due to the pain, you could feel sick, nauseous (not as likely, but I get nauseous from it), fatigue, etc. Your whole head can hurt, or a certain area. I find that my entire head hurts, my shoulders hurt, and often times my chest or arms. This is basically due to my body being exhausted from being so tense.

So don't underestimate tension headaches. They can be absolutely horrid. Warm tea helps me a bit. Any. A heating pad for 15 minutes on my neck and back of my head helps quite a bit too. Warm bath might help, but I haven't tried it. I've actually been told to wear a felxible neck brace around the house to help with my neck posture as I tend to sit with my head pointing down most of the time (yay computer on a low table!). It helps to prevent them a little.

As for the blood, I'm still not sure. I have never heard of a headache causing you to bleed. If anything, could it be from your liver? Also, have they said if it will heal fully? Generally if it is severe enough, it won't heal fully. And what it does heal can take several months to a year. At least from an experience with a family member who drank often and damaged their liver.

Hope you figure out what is going on. I definitely can relate to feeling like a lost cause. I injured my leg at work and they have been ***es about it and the doctors are scratching their heads going, "Duhhhhhhh...I dunno". So it gets irritating and makes me feel pretty crappy, considering I just want to feel better. Don't hesitate to PM me, gorgeous! Even if you just need to rant. Do it. Keep on those doctors. Don't let them push you aside. This is your HEALTH. You have every right to have a test done if you want it, and you have every right to get answers and find relief.

<3

Closed Thread