TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Dobbie_93 Offline
Be Your Wild Self
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Laura

I just wanna sleep :( - March 7th 2013, 12:22 PM

I haven't been able to sleep properly for years. But just before Christmas, it started to get a little out of hand.

I had nights where I didn't sleep say until 5am, and even then i'd be awake early. But then I had nights where I was asleep by 10pm and would sleep the day away and not wake up until mid afternoon. I thought this was my body just catching up on missed sleep. And I thought the whole insomnia thing was due to the transition of moving away and living independently at university.

But I've been here for 7 months now. And I still can't sleep. The other night I didn't sleep until 7.20am, bearing in mind I had to be up at 7am for uni - I never made it in!

I know I have a problem but it always terrifies me about seeing a doctor about it. I have this fear that they will judge me on my past, which I know is unlikely to happen but it freaks me out.

I'm not particularly worried about anything I don't think, although I have been having weird dreams lately (I've already posted about this) but other than that, I'm fine. I just wanna sleep so bad, I know it's important for your body to rest, and mine is simply being denied that. It's beginning to make me ratty.

Help?

LOVE IS LOUDER
Than The Pressure To Be
Perfect...

(#2 (permalink)) Old
MadPoet Offline
You're the Original <3
Outside, huh?

Name: Amanda.

Re: I just wanna sleep :( - March 7th 2013, 06:48 PM

Hey Laura,

I'm sorry that you're having this problem, I know how awful it feels not being able to get sleep. It used to happen to me a lot too. When I went to the doctor she started having me take Melatonin, which she didn't have to prescribe, and that worked for me. There are some other over the counter medications and some vitamins or herbs you can get that are supposed to help you sleep. Here's a list that I found. You could try one of those out and see what happens, but if they have little effect then you should probably go to the doctor. I know it's not always a great experience, but if you go to a new doctor and you let them know you're having sleeping problems I doubt there will be much of a discussion on anything from the past. They'll probably just prescribe you with something and send you on your way. It's hardly ever as much as you make it out to be, and even if it is at least it's better than never being able to sleep.

I hope this helps, and that you find something that solves the problem. Good luck

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Never Forget Hope
I can't get enough

Name: Kelly

Re: I just wanna sleep :( - March 7th 2013, 08:15 PM

Hey there.

There's a current thread on TH with a lot of great ideas on how to get onto a sleep schedule, which ultimately will help you sleep.

So definitely try to get a schedule or routine before bed. This provides your body the ability to say, 'Oh bath time? Means I should get tired soon'. Also, dimming the lights 30 minutes prior to bed can help your body prepare to sleep. Meaning, no tv 30 minutes before bed. Or computer. Read a book, draw, write, listen to music, sing, take a candle-lit bath, even a shower would be fine.

Hope this helps a bit.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
jhend.hardison Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: I just wanna sleep :( - March 11th 2013, 06:32 PM

It is really a big problem if we have difficulties in sleeping. I guess, no people in this world that who doesn't sleep, we all need to sleep.

there are many things we can consider in dealing sleeping problem, one thing is our diet, what are we always eating. Next thing is our activities, what are we doing for the day and what things should be considered during bed time hours.

Have you tried to make yourself very very tired? I once do this and its quite effective because I easily can sleep.

Closed Thread