TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Endoscopy - April 10th 2013, 08:03 PM

This thread has been labeled as triggering by the original poster or by a Moderator. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

Okay. Since I overdosed in December (I've overdosed a lot over the years) I've been bringing up blood. Not loads but it keeps happening. On Sunday, I overdosed again and was taken to the hospital after I started throwing up but was also bringing up more blood.

I have seem my doctor about this a few times and he once set me to hospital for a chest x-ray but it came back clear. The doctor I saw in hospital from my overdose on Sunday, advised me to see my GP and to request an out-patient appointment for an Endoscopy to look at my liver. There have already been worries about my liver because of pains I have had there and because of results from blood tests.

I see my doctor weekly for my mental health (he's a great help in my support network) but I don't dare ask him for this referral and not only that, I don't think I want it. I mean, it scares me that I might have serious damage but at the same time, the thoughts of having an Endoscopy scares me and I would rather just not know about it.

Has anyone been in this situation before? What did you do? I just feel really scared about it all.

Thankyou.

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Lottie Offline
Retro TH'er- since 2007.
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Lottie

Re: Endoscopy - April 10th 2013, 09:32 PM

I would say that it's always best to be safe rather than sorry. Just mention to them that you've had this pain and the location. The doctor can always come to their own conclusion about what to do.

I've not had an endoscopy for this reason but my one was for my gallbladder and also for my coeliac testing. Gastroscopies aren't the nicest of things. I only had the throat spray and not the sedation. Tip? Go for the sedation- you will barely remember a thing! The team would've seen people for this reason on several occasions so do not feel worried about that.

What's the harm in getting it checked?

(#3 (permalink)) Old
LlamaLlamaDuck Offline
Llama Lover/Skittle Minion
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Louise

Re: Endoscopy - April 10th 2013, 09:58 PM

Lottie is right, it's much better to check.
What's worse, getting a test run just now and if, god forbid, anything is really wrong, it can be detected and treated now; OR ignoring it and finding out later on and needing much more invasive procedures to investigate/fix it?

If anything it's better to have your mind put to rest. It must be stressful for you to worry that you might have liver damage. And, I'm no medical expert, but that might be making your blood vomiting worse. Stress can do all kinds of things.
Take a friend or family member with you for moral support, and like Lottie said, ask them to sedate you. You get to basically have a kind of nap and chill out while they do the nasty part for you. You'll also be more relaxed that way so it'll be a lot more comfortable.

We can only advise you, but I think for your own benefit, it's best to get checked. When in doubt, take it from an outside perspective, what would you tell a friend who asked you this question?
If you ever need anything, don't hesitate to PM me, okay? Take care of yourself.

Throw those curtains wide
One day like this a year would see me right

We are the rainbow
Or click here for some grovelling.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Music Offline
Thoroughly medicated
I've been here a while

Name: Richard

Re: Endoscopy - April 10th 2013, 11:07 PM

I think it would be better to know from a test now and be able to do something about it than know from the effects later when it might be too late.
In terms of having endoscopy, I've had one for my Crohn's and I'll be honest, I don't remember a thing from that whole day. I remember getting to the unit in the hospital and then blank for a day so if you're scared of the procedure itself I wouldn't worry about it. The only bad part was the stuff they make you drink before the operation lol.

Member since 2005
  Send a message via MSN to Music  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
SparklingWine Offline
Normality, my friends.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Lynds :)

Re: Endoscopy - April 10th 2013, 11:21 PM

I've had an endoscopy and I was sedated. It honestly was like being put to sleep. I don't remember a thing. I was as nervous as you, but it honestly was better than I could have thought. It is worth it to know the state of your liver. With sedation, the procedure is painless. Jess, it's completely worth the hassle <3

Send a message via AIM to SparklingWine Send a message via MSN to SparklingWine  
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Kindred Offline
You can handle anything
I've been here a while

Name: Eyeliner Failure

Re: Endoscopy - April 11th 2013, 12:04 PM

My little brother has had an endoscopy and is likely to have to have more in the future due to problems with his esophagus. After the anesthetic had worn off he was absolutely fine It's worth it Jess, get it done sweet <3

Take as long as you need.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Re: Endoscopy - April 18th 2013, 03:41 PM

Thankyou for all the replies and advice guys. I saw my doctor last week and he agreed it'd be a good idea but I said I didn't think I wanted it. He told me we'd talk about it at our next appointment.

I saw him again today. After bringing up more blood this morning and thinking about the blood results I've had with my liver enzymes and considering all the overdoses, I'm being referred for an Endoscopy.

I'm scared but you guys seem cool about it so it can't be too bad Thanls again <3

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Philomath Offline
Love is > your mistakes
I can't get enough

Name: Christina

Re: Endoscopy - April 18th 2013, 07:12 PM

Hey Jessie,

I'm glad you decided to do this.
I've never had one but from what everyone else has mentioned, it should not be too bad.
Also, you will find out some very important information about how your liver is functioning so that they can help you with the pain you are feeling.
Keep staying strong, you've got this Jess!

"i don't care your intentions. I just want you to know my self-hatred never took me where I wanted to go. At the end of the day...I can pick at the pain but I can't cut it away."

Closed Thread