TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
cynefin Offline

TeenHelp Veteran

Swallowing Pills - May 18th 2013, 12:58 AM

Okay, so yesterday I was prescribed pills that I have to take twice a day for a week. If I don't take them, my bacterial infection will not go away. I have tried every medicine for depression that's approved for those under eighteen and I have literally sat down and tried to swallow pill after pill and it just never works. I have to mash it and put it into something. I tried icecream and that didn't work; tonight I tried orange juice and that didn't work. I just can't swallow pills. I mean, I can just take a pill each day and throw it out or something. Do you have any ideas on how I can swallow pills?

Articles & Resources Officer|Lead Moderator|Senior Newsletter Editor
The mountains are calling and I must go.
1941-2016

They whispered to her
you cannot withstand the storm
she whispered back
i am the storm.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
i_like_black Offline
Awesomesauce.
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Jess

Re: Swallowing Pills - May 18th 2013, 01:35 AM

Use one of those things they use to get pills down cat's throats.

I mean it really does sound like you've tried very hard to swallow the pills. Sometimes having them in your mouth at the same time as a mouthful of food can help, and sometimes it's just a matter of forcing yourself to swallow and deal with the nasty feeling. (Two of tablets feel like they're the same size as my oesophagus.)

However with the cat thingy (I don't remember what it's called) you basically insert the pill into your throat so that you bypass forcing your tongue to do anything and your only real option is to swallow.

Hopefully someone else will come along with a better suggestion than this though. I remember for my elder brother, cutting the pills up into tiny pieces then putting them in his mashed potato worked.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Yours Truly Offline
Ashley<3(:
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Ashley

Re: Swallowing Pills - May 18th 2013, 03:06 AM

Are they capsules? if they're capsules (as opposed to tablets) you can pull the two halves apart, and sprinkle the powder that's inside (the actual medicine) into a spoonful of yogurt or icecream or applesauce or something like that.

But, assuming you don't want to do that, or smash the tablets (if they're tablets) like you said you've done (does that work for you?) then you could always call your doctor and ask if there was a liquid form of the medicine you could take.. It may not taste good, but it'd be easier to swallow.

Call your doctor anyway and ask if they have any ideas on how to help you swallow pills.. The cat thing jess said may work, and also - you could try taking the pills with like.. a smoothie or a milkshake or something.

Anything that is liquid that can be swallowed easily, but still has texture in it (think icee/slushie, milkshake, smoothie, those drinkable yogurts, some soups, etc..) that don't need to be chewed.

That's about all I can come up with, other than asking your doctor. I hope you figure it out soon. <3 I have to take 9+ pills a day so I guess i'm pretty lucky I don't have a problem with swallowing them, haha.

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone is fighting some kind of battle." <3

Feel free to PM/VM me if you ever need someone to talk to, or just want someone to listen. I'm also always up for making new friends.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
TeenHelp Addict

Name: Traci

Re: Swallowing Pills - May 18th 2013, 11:58 AM

It took me a bit to learn to swallow pills. I'd practice with some vitamins if I were you, and try different techniques. What I usually do is take a drink of water to lubricate my throat, then take the pill, then drink water afterwards. Don't have the water and the pill in your mouth at the same time, get it in your throat, then drink quickly. You also may want to try juice or milk in order to hide any pill taste.

You could also chew them, but they might be terrible.

I said to the sun, "Tell me about the big bang"
& the sun said “it hurts to become."
Andrea Gibson, "I Sing The Body Electric; Especially When My Power Is Out"
  Send a message via MSN to Coffee.  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Swallowing Pills - May 18th 2013, 01:30 PM

I find what helps me is if I take a REALLY big mouthful of water (like as much as I can reasonable swallow in one go) and then put the pill in my mouth and swallow because then it isn't touching anything for as long... You could also try practicing with small things like the size of a birth control tablet (mini m&m's maybe?)... Trying with small things would be good, big pills are hard for people who don't have the problem swallowing

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Bullet Offline
Amanda <3
Not a n00b

Name: Amanda

Re: Swallowing Pills - May 18th 2013, 07:18 PM

I also cannot take pills, I have to smash them, or put them in a spoonful of applesauce. I try to stick to liquids.

You would think they would make medicine in all forms for everyone, but I guess not.

Bullet <3

PM/VM Anytime!

Instagram: spoiledrottens
PM To Add On Facebook

TeenHelp Member Since 5/11/13
Free of Self Harm Since 5/20/13

To Donate, Please Visit www.gofundme.com/wishescometrue

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Antihero
I've been here a while

Name: Ghost

Re: Swallowing Pills - May 19th 2013, 02:15 AM

It's often not a good idea to take capsules apart, especially if they are time-release. It can really mess with the mechanism of action/duration, etc. I also recommend taking a sip of water, then taking the pill with your head inclined slightly back. Swallow the water and pill together. If it's a "horse pill," maybe ask if you can get multiple smaller pills instead of one big one.

The neon burns a hole in the night, and the Freon burns a hole in the sky.
You can find my kind living right on the fault line, eyes on the seaside, lives on the B-side, kites on the power lines.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Spoons Offline
Too tired to give a fork.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Re: Swallowing Pills - May 19th 2013, 03:23 AM

I normally have to put the water in my mouth first and then the pill, and so does my sister. For some reason this works better for me than the other way around. But, if you really can't swallow them try calling your doctor to see what they suggest.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
cynefin Offline

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Swallowing Pills - May 19th 2013, 03:41 AM

Yeah, the time release ones have screwed me up. They made me sleep forever! However, I have a medical problem that can only be resolved by taking these pills; there is no other way. I put them in icecream and I tried Sunny D. I think an issue is a fear of vomit and gagging from the pills. I have to take it twice a day so when I try tomorrow I'll let you know how it goes Thanks for your suggestions!

Articles & Resources Officer|Lead Moderator|Senior Newsletter Editor
The mountains are calling and I must go.
1941-2016

They whispered to her
you cannot withstand the storm
she whispered back
i am the storm.

Closed Thread