TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Jess~ Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: jess

You gain some you lose some - May 31st 2013, 06:10 AM

So today I weighed myself for the first time in months because I was feeling fatter and more insecure than usual. I worry about my weight all the time, and try to make healthy eating choices. But apparently nothing works because I gained some. I mean, I always bloat up around that time of the month, and it really isn't much (just saying, i really don't see why we can't share weight numbers, even to say how much we lost/gained.)

Is it normal at my age (14) to have a bit extra weight. I mean, it doesn't show as my legs are fine and I suck in my stomach. And what are healthy eating choices? See, I have this disease, its called BEING HUMAN. Where I love cake, cookies, candy, Chinese food, chips, and soda. (No, i don't eat those all the time. in fact, soda is the only one I consume alot. And candy sometimes.)

Please don't give me the link to some food pyramid. I don't understand any of that crap. I can't tell a calorie from a carbohydrate. I just want to know some healthy foods I should try sticking to. I know the difference between healthy and unhealthy foods. But I just need some pointers, tips...I need a little plan too. I'm not dieting, but I need a plan.
I try talking to my mom, but she says I'm not fat. But I have belly rolls!!! How us that not fat?!

And what daily exercises can I do that'll help, mostly with my abs.

i don't know what i'm supposed to do
haunted by the ghost of you

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: You gain some you lose some - May 31st 2013, 05:48 PM

Hey Jess, yes, weight changes during puberty and that time of the month are perfectly normal. There's no problem with trying to be healthy as long as you don't go overboard with it. Aim for health, not a certain weight. I'm not going to tell you to stop eating certain things, but try cutting back on them. Soda has a lot of sugar in it, so drink water in place of soda a few times a week to start and then work on cutting it out if you decide you want to. Try fruit in place of candy sometimes and nuts or trail mix instead of chips. Fast food now and then is okay, everything is about moderation. If you have a hard time resisting certain things, ask your mom not to buy them. Once you go without things for awhile you don't even want them anymore. Any kind of exercise is good since you can't spot lose, the weight comes off where it comes off. We can't say whether or not you need to lose weight, but these things will be good for you either way.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Jess~ Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Re: You gain some you lose some - May 31st 2013, 05:57 PM

Thanks, that helps a lot! for the most part, I already do those things. And I exercise at least four times a week at Taekwondo. Then I have a punching page at home I work out with every day.

Anyway, luckily I've already been stopping with the soda because I'm trying to stop my insomnia, and the caffeine probably has something to do with it. That means no coffee either though Dx
Thanks again

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Kitty. Offline
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kitty

Re: You gain some you lose some - June 1st 2013, 09:41 PM

Hey Jess,

It's normal for your weight to fluctuate during puberty and it is also normal for your weight to fluctuate around your monthly cycle.
I agree with Kate in that you need to aim to be healthy, not to reach a number on the scale. Being healthy goes a lot farther than being a certain weight. Being healthy means eating vegetables instead of chips, fruit instead of cake, etc. That doesn't mean you have to cut out junk food altogether. It means you should cut down on it. Moderation is the key with everything. Try replacing some of your junk food with healthy food. There are plenty of yummy healthy foods such as: apples, bananas, salmon, tuna, grilled chicken, strawberries, whole grain bread, etc.
  Send a message via MSN to Kitty.  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Jess~ Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Re: You gain some you lose some - June 2nd 2013, 02:12 AM

Well I've been taking your guys's advice for a few days...I must say I feel healthier already. and much more confident. I think the main problem for me was just eating too much. There are so many delicious foods we never get and I want to make sure I get some. With two brothers, can you blame me? xD so I'm eating smaller meals and they're healthier too. Thanks guys!

The only thing is...i just hate how once you're like, "Alright I'm gonna eat healthy from now on." Your family is like, "AW YEAH, TIME TO EAT OUT." xd

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Ten.Foot.Line Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: You gain some you lose some - June 15th 2013, 12:49 AM

Hey Jess!
Like the other posters said, it's good to limit sugars and processed foods. Personally, when I am having a big sugar craving, I buy really tart apples like granny smiths and eat them because they give me the same supersweet feeling but they are way healthier for me! Working celery and tomatoes into your diet is a very good thing too. Celery (plain) actually burns more calories than you get from it, but I usually put on a little peanut butter for some more flavor. And tomatoes Are just packed with good things! If your having a sandwich or a burger just slap a tomato slice on there and see if you like it. I really don't like tomatoes that much but I found that bruschetta is amazing, and blts are really good too.
Let me tell you now, working out a certain area of your body doesn't guarantee that you'll loose the fat on those areas, but the more muscle you have, the more calories that you burn just by sitting there! For me, I'm pretty sure that I have six-pack abs because I have a super strong core, but I still have some fat on my stomach.
A great ab workout is the thirty day ab challenge done by fit b****. I don't like the name but the workout it great! Just go to google images, search 30 day ab challenge and it should be the first image. It looks like a calendar and the backround is some lady's ripped stomach. It slowly build up your ab muscles. I've done it and it really works. Running is also really good for burning calories.
Hope this helps!

I am home schooled and proud of it! No, I do not like skirts. Yes, I have a social life. I'm conservative and I wear a purity ring. I am dead set on saving my first kiss for my wedding day. If you want to tell me that saving my kiss is impossible, STUFF IT.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: You gain some you lose some - June 16th 2013, 12:09 AM

Hey Jess, so I think everyone has been nailing it. You weight flucuates, my weight even goes up and down by a little, but as I am trying to lose weight as long as I am gradually going down then it is ok... So don't flip over a little upwards fluctuation, it'll be ok.

For exercise, it really depends, like I usually try to do 5-6 days a week, if I end up doing 7 that's fine but I usually need a day off. Now unless your into multiple sports like me AND training for races you can usually go easier. 4 days of more intense work outs is usually the best for the average person, like running, hockey, martial arts, what ever it is you do
And then try to get 30-60 minutes of easy exercise the other 3 days, like go for a walk, do house cleaning etc....
It's not going to hurt you if you WANT to do 5-7 days of more intense work outs, just as long as you know when to give your body a rest, and it's only if you want to do that (like I enjoy sports like self defence classes and running and it's not an obligation for me to do), and I'd DEFINITELY take 2 days off one week if you did 7 days the week before, and, for example, running EVERY DAY usually isn't a good idea, I'd say do tops 5 days of running, because running can be hard on your body if your pushing yourself to hard.
SO moral of the story 4 days of intense working out (running, hockey, martial arts), 3 days easy exercise (walks, cleaning your room, gardening), don't do more then 4 unless you have a reason too (like multiple sports, high competition in sports, coaching, etc.)

For food, avoid processed foods like packaged cookies, chips, pops, even a lot of the juices. I heard this rule where you should mostly shop on the outer edges of the store (where the milk cheese, yogurt, breads, fruits, veggies and meats are). Now obviously things like that is a rule of thumb when canned veggies like tomato sauce, some salsa's and nuts, and noodles amongst other healthy foods are found in the centre isles. You can do things like try to make your own brownies, cookies and pasta sauces (the canned sauces are usually filthy gross in comparison any how), and focus on having a lot of fruits and veggies over having a lot of breads and noodles (I say this since many people eat way to large of portions of breads/noodles WAY more then they should)....
There is absolutely nothing wrong with eating not-so-healthy foods sometimes, I eat chocolate, cookies, french fries and stuff like that here and there and I have lost quite a bit of weight so far so it's not like if you dare to touch a burger and fries that you're going to blow up in weight (you won't!!), it's just a matter of moderating it. I've picked up little tricks like buying dark chocolate bars (a lot of them come with flavours like dark chocolate with bits of coffee beans in it, chunks of toffee or caramel, orange flavouring, mint flavouring etc), cause dark chocolate can satisfy that chocolate craving without causing you to eat the entire damn bar, so you might end up eating as much less as 1/4 of the calories that you might of had other wise. Another solution is, say, if you want burgers, make them at home with chicken meat instead of beef. You don't need to do that 100% of the time, but things like that will allow you to have you bad foods more often.
You should also talk to your parents, if you live in a family who likes unhealthy food but you want to eat healthier, then you might want to talk to them about changing the diet so you have more healthy options available.

But so far it doesn't sound like you really have anything to worry about, you described someone who is of a healthy weight. But there is nothing wrong with improving your exercising and eating habits now rather then later. Because trust me, it IS really hard to change these habits once you're already qualifiedly over weight, it's easier to do when you don't have additional challenges to deal with. Admittedly, I am also challenged by some disordered thoughts AND my excess weight, but knowing that those are 2 things i have to deal with forces me to spend even more time on healthy habits/goals.

If you want to talk more PM me ok

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Xurayesu Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Ellison

Re: You gain some you lose some - June 16th 2013, 12:30 AM

I agree with Kate. During puberty we teens need TONS of nutrition to keep up with their growth needs. So eat your salad, take your vitamins, drink your juice, or you will be weak, skinny, short and won't be able to think clearly.

The tongue has no bones, but is strong enough to break a heart.

Closed Thread