TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
SouthernBelle. Offline
InsaneAnnie
I've been here a while

Name: Anna

Question Is it possible to be allergic to sugar? - June 16th 2013, 04:49 AM

I totally need to change my signature, just saying.

Anyway, I went for about a week and a half without eating sugar. My skin started clearing up, and everything that was supposed to happen improvement-wise happened.

I noticed too that the strange bloated, sick feeling that I'd had constantly for months and months disappeared after about a week.

Today I ate a cupcake and a slice of cake (both really small), and the bloated feeling returned times ten. It was so rich, it made me half sick, but I didn't want to be rude and not eat it (it was a party), so I did. When I got home, I had to lay on my stomach like I do when I'm on my period, it was hurting so badly. My mom came into my room to check on me, and verified that I looked terrible. I drank a ton of water and went to sleep.

The sick feeling has lasted until now, and it's 12:48 in the morning (I last ate at about two this morning, barring some plain yogurt and peanut butter that I ate, hoping to settle my stomach a bit). I have nightmares when I have stomachaches at bedtime, so I don't want to lay down and go to sleep.

Gah. I feel sick.

Anna's Personal Keys to Happiness
1. Do what you want within the bounds of reason, whenever you want to, and regret nothing. 2. If you have an opinion, don't beat around the bush, or there isn't a point in saying it. 3. Don't keep the company of anyone who won't like you and will try to change you.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Thereishope Offline
Skittles Minion & Fish Thrower
I can't get enough

Name: Michael

Re: Is it possible to be allergic to sugar? - June 16th 2013, 01:01 PM

Never actually heard of it but I guess it could be possible. I would definitely talk to your doctor about this and see what they say. Good luck and hope things will be ok!

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Is it possible to be allergic to sugar? - June 16th 2013, 01:48 PM

YES!!!!!! Ok, technically, here is what I know, one of my friends would feel sick for years all the time, she never had any energy and always felt sick. I'm not sure if it was ever officially diagnosed as an "allergy" in the traditional sense of an allergy, but that's just the easiest way for her to explain it to people, but in any case she got all this test stuff done (saw "normal" traditionally western doctors, and naturopaths and such) and eventually realized that eating sugar was basically causing her to be sick... But it's only cane sugar that causes her to be sick (so the sugar usually used in food in North America), but she can still eat honey, beet sugar (which is hard to find in North America) and zylia (or some sugar-typed substance starting with a "Z"). SOOOOOOO yeah, it's completely possible. It's possible that your body doesn't react well with cane sugar, but you should start checking ingredient lists (like look at the labels on ALL of your food) and see what is listed for sugar and see what exactly it is that's bad for you. Because last I checked bread still has sugar in it, as does a lot of canned pasta sauces, sometimes meat (particularly beef) is cured using sugar... So if you're right and you are allergic to sugar, you are really going to have to be careful of what you eat. Even the sugar-free syrups for drinks at places like starbucks are probably bad for you (don't quote me on that because they really do have to be sugar-free cause, for example, you can't give a diabetic something that really has sugar in it unless you want to do serious damage, but I feel like there's some kind of substance in it that's meh, like how diabetics can eat some other sugar typed substance that might still have the same no-no ingredients for you...), you won't be able to have milk chocolate any more, the list goes on and on and on and on.... But, for example, you can make brownies with honey instead of sugar and stuff like that... FYI my friend still eats bread, she even makes bread I am just not sure what she uses if she can't use the sugar it usually calls for.

My answer is that, yes, it's possible to have a negative reaction to SOME kinds of sugars (like I highly doubt you're allergic to sweet-substances as a whole and rather JUST cane sugar or JUST fruit-based sugar or JUST honey etc) but it's also possible that you were just eating way to much sugary foods to cause you to be sick by over doing it and that backing off makes you feel better by reaching for healthier alternatives and not because it was ever an allergy typed thing to begin with... But I'd start testing foods to see

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Music Offline
Thoroughly medicated
I've been here a while

Name: Richard

Re: Is it possible to be allergic to sugar? - June 16th 2013, 03:06 PM

I would assume that it's possible. I'm allergic to artificial sweetners so I would expect the same can be said for sugar.
I would go to your doctor and tell them how sugar makes you feel and how avoiding it alleviated your symptoms. They'll probably only tell you to avoid sugar, which you've probably already figured out on your own anyways but it couldn't hurt to see what they say.

Member since 2005
  Send a message via MSN to Music  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
SouthernBelle. Offline
InsaneAnnie
I've been here a while

Name: Anna

Re: Is it possible to be allergic to sugar? - June 16th 2013, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Wallflower~ View Post
YES!!!!!! Ok, technically, here is what I know, one of my friends would feel sick for years all the time, she never had any energy and always felt sick. I'm not sure if it was ever officially diagnosed as an "allergy" in the traditional sense of an allergy, but that's just the easiest way for her to explain it to people, but in any case she got all this test stuff done (saw "normal" traditionally western doctors, and naturopaths and such) and eventually realized that eating sugar was basically causing her to be sick... But it's only cane sugar that causes her to be sick (so the sugar usually used in food in North America), but she can still eat honey, beet sugar (which is hard to find in North America) and zylia (or some sugar-typed substance starting with a "Z"). SOOOOOOO yeah, it's completely possible. It's possible that your body doesn't react well with cane sugar, but you should start checking ingredient lists (like look at the labels on ALL of your food) and see what is listed for sugar and see what exactly it is that's bad for you. Because last I checked bread still has sugar in it, as does a lot of canned pasta sauces, sometimes meat (particularly beef) is cured using sugar... So if you're right and you are allergic to sugar, you are really going to have to be careful of what you eat. Even the sugar-free syrups for drinks at places like starbucks are probably bad for you (don't quote me on that because they really do have to be sugar-free cause, for example, you can't give a diabetic something that really has sugar in it unless you want to do serious damage, but I feel like there's some kind of substance in it that's meh, like how diabetics can eat some other sugar typed substance that might still have the same no-no ingredients for you...), you won't be able to have milk chocolate any more, the list goes on and on and on and on.... But, for example, you can make brownies with honey instead of sugar and stuff like that... FYI my friend still eats bread, she even makes bread I am just not sure what she uses if she can't use the sugar it usually calls for.

My answer is that, yes, it's possible to have a negative reaction to SOME kinds of sugars (like I highly doubt you're allergic to sweet-substances as a whole and rather JUST cane sugar or JUST fruit-based sugar or JUST honey etc) but it's also possible that you were just eating way to much sugary foods to cause you to be sick by over doing it and that backing off makes you feel better by reaching for healthier alternatives and not because it was ever an allergy typed thing to begin with... But I'd start testing foods to see
I'm pretty sure I'm only reacting to cane sugar and artificial sweeteners, because when I went without sugar, I continued to eat stevia and honey (in fact, I ate some honey in my oats this morning) and felt no symptoms. It wasn't copious amounts of sugar to begin with: A bowl of bran flakes was enough to make me feel sick and bloated. I'd also begun to have headaches from it, which I now speculate may be part of a reaction type thing, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music View Post
I would assume that it's possible. I'm allergic to artificial sweetners so I would expect the same can be said for sugar.
I would go to your doctor and tell them how sugar makes you feel and how avoiding it alleviated your symptoms. They'll probably only tell you to avoid sugar, which you've probably already figured out on your own anyways but it couldn't hurt to see what they say.
I think I may, though it may be a while before I can get to them (we live forty-five minutes away from our family physician, and we're always busy; their schedules are even fuller than ours, haha). I think I'll avoid it in the meantime, then discuss it with my doctor when I can see her. She'll probably laugh; I've had some really off the wall allergies in the past, and this one will definitely take the cake.

Anna's Personal Keys to Happiness
1. Do what you want within the bounds of reason, whenever you want to, and regret nothing. 2. If you have an opinion, don't beat around the bush, or there isn't a point in saying it. 3. Don't keep the company of anyone who won't like you and will try to change you.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Ella.x Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Ella

Re: Is it possible to be allergic to sugar? - June 16th 2013, 06:19 PM

Yes, you can have an intolerance to certain types of sugar. I was told I was allergic to sugar when I was younger and that it was causing my asthma to flare up (was told this by a homeopath and I'm skeptic of the science behind homeopathy) This link has some information on it and lists some of the symptoms you've been having.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sucrose_intolerance

I would go to a doctor though, as it could be another problem and sugar just causes it to flare up.
heres another link with some more info:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/28...gies-symptoms/

Hope this helps a little.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Lelola Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Is it possible to be allergic to sugar? - June 17th 2013, 02:50 AM

Consider keeping a food log and seeing what types of food are causing those feelings.

Closed Thread