TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Mila Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Mila

Exclamation Bleach and Hospital? - June 18th 2013, 09:12 PM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of self harm, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

Hello
I haven't been here in so long but I'm in a bit of an emergency and I don't know what else to do. About ten hours ago I put bleach on my arms (for reasons I'd rather not discuss) and for about an hour afterwards it was fine, if a little tingly, but soon after that my arms started bleeding, turned very red and have been exceedingly painful. I considered calling NHS 111 because I was alone in the house.
My family is in the house now, and I haven't told any of them out of embarrassment but my arms hurt so much and if I wasn't so embarrassed I'd probably ask my mum to take me to hospital.
Please if anyone can give any advice I'd be so grateful x

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Mila Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Bleach and Hospital? - June 18th 2013, 09:14 PM

I forgot to say but I put after sun and savlon on the 'bleach burns' to try and disguise the redness

(#3 (permalink)) Old
MsNobleEleanor Offline
Resource Editor

I can't get enough

Re: Bleach and Hospital? - June 18th 2013, 10:32 PM

Mila, I think you need to seek medical help. Bleach is very dangerous if on skin or anywhere else. A hospital would need to call poison control for an antidote, you could also call the poison control, but they most likely will tell you to go to a hospital. I wouldn't put anything on it, because bleach is a chemical and I believe what you put on to reduce the redness, may harm your arm more. They will ask you how it happened, whatever you say to them, they need to get you proper treatment, if you feel comfortable say you were cleaning and it got on your arm, but most importantly you need to get to a hospital.

Let us know how you are doing and feeling, okay?

Have questions or would like to chat send me a PM
+
Senior Article Editor | Resource Editor
Outreach Ambassador | Social Media Guru
Community Moderator | Forum Moderator

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Mila Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Bleach and Hospital? - June 18th 2013, 10:46 PM

I can't get to a hospital without letting my family know what happened because I'm underage and I live too far away to walk/get a bus there and tell them after a consultation. I think it's getting a little better but that may just be wishful thinking.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Symphony. Offline
"You're the only light."
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Sarah

Re: Bleach and Hospital? - June 18th 2013, 11:29 PM

This really can get very serious, though (in fact it certainly seems as if it already has). Like Chantal said, you could tell your parents/the hospital that you were cleaning and it spilled or something. You really do need to get medical attention very soon. The damage this could cause wouldn't be worth sparing yourself any embarrassment you think it could cause- you really need to see someone. I hope everything goes okay!

"What's done in the dark will be brought to the light."
Associate HelpLink Mentor

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Philomath Offline
Love is > your mistakes
I can't get enough

Name: Christina

Re: Bleach and Hospital? - June 19th 2013, 03:01 AM

Talk to your mom and go to the hospital. You can say that it is due to you getting on your arms while cleaning but depending on how severe it is, they may not believe you.
Regardless of you being embarrassed your health is more important than you being worried about embarrassing yourself. Chemicals are not at all healthy for the skin and they can cause infections.

"i don't care your intentions. I just want you to know my self-hatred never took me where I wanted to go. At the end of the day...I can pick at the pain but I can't cut it away."

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Ella.x Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Ella

Re: Bleach and Hospital? - June 19th 2013, 08:40 AM

Okay. First of all, if you haven't already, run your arms under cold water for 20 minutes (was told this in first aid training), then get yourself to a hospital. Tell your parents it was an accident if you have to, but you need to get help, because chemical burns can be very serious. They destroy the skin and leave you with large open wounds which are a huge infection risk. Burns also take a hell of a lot longer to heal it you leave them, rather than getting the correct dressings and care.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Spirit. Offline
Run free
I've been here a while

Name: Kaveri

Re: Bleach and Hospital? - June 19th 2013, 11:02 AM

Hey there,

I hope you've talked to your parents and are at the hospital.
If not, I strongly suggest that you do.

If you haven't done anything to it yet, please apply some calamine lotion or aloe vera gel on it to help soothe it.

Take care, x

~Through the wind and the rain she stands hard as a stone
In a world that she can't rise above.
But her dreams give her wings and she flies to a place where she's loved.

Concrete Angel

"And so I grew from colt to stallion
As wild and as reckless as thunder over the land.
Racing with the eagle, soaring with the wind.
Flying? There were times I believed I could."

HelpLINK Mentor - 2.4.2011
LiveHelp Operator - 18.6.2011

Send a message via MSN to Spirit. Send a message via Skype™ to Spirit. 
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Bleach and Hospital? - June 19th 2013, 12:45 PM

I know you don't want to tell your mom but this isn't something you can avoid doing that for, this is actually something really serious and you should be going to the hospital to avoid serious damage. So if you haven't already, please don't let the negative reasons about not wanting to tell your parents stop you, you need help. If you have to quietly take your mom aside and tell her you don't want everyone else knowing right now but you'd like to quietly leave and go to the hospital, if she needs to tell the others later then fine, just let her know for know to not tell them and make up an excuse so you guys can leave. It's serious, so please, go if you haven't already.

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Mila Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Bleach and Hospital? - June 21st 2013, 10:03 PM

Hello all.
It's been three days since it happened and I didn't go to the hospital, regardless, my arms are healing, although they still bleed and the skin is very dry and rough.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Ten.Foot.Line Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Bleach and Hospital? - June 22nd 2013, 03:00 AM

Mila, I don't think you understand what you're messing with. I got chemical burns on my arms from some stuff in the mortar we were building with and it actually is very serious. I only had minor burns because I washed the mortar off my arms once they started stinging. But I still had to keep the wounds clean, wrap them in bandages, and apply ointment to them. You need to get yer carcass to a doctor. If you got a more serious chemical burn you can permanently damage your arms. Suck up your pride and tell your parents before you really get hurt. Mmkay? Seriously girlie, bleach is dangerous stuff, no one wants you to be hurt any more than you already are.

I am home schooled and proud of it! No, I do not like skirts. Yes, I have a social life. I'm conservative and I wear a purity ring. I am dead set on saving my first kiss for my wedding day. If you want to tell me that saving my kiss is impossible, STUFF IT.

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Mila Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Bleach and Hospital? - June 23rd 2013, 08:56 PM

I appreciate it, but my arms are nearly better so there's no permanent harm done

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Spirit. Offline
Run free
I've been here a while

Name: Kaveri

Re: Bleach and Hospital? - June 26th 2013, 04:28 AM

You honestly can't know whether any permanent damage has been done now. It doesn't matter whether it's healing now or not, you should still get it checked out as soon as possible. Don't dismiss it so quickly, it's not a wise decision.
You may not want to get it checked, but you need to. And need always trumps want, so you have to do what you have to do. I don't mean to be blunt, but seriously, you should try and get it checked out.

~Through the wind and the rain she stands hard as a stone
In a world that she can't rise above.
But her dreams give her wings and she flies to a place where she's loved.

Concrete Angel

"And so I grew from colt to stallion
As wild and as reckless as thunder over the land.
Racing with the eagle, soaring with the wind.
Flying? There were times I believed I could."

HelpLINK Mentor - 2.4.2011
LiveHelp Operator - 18.6.2011

Send a message via MSN to Spirit. Send a message via Skype™ to Spirit. 
Closed Thread