TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Living with Hepatitis C - June 21st 2013, 08:59 PM

I am at risk for getting Hepatitis C. I am really scared. I need to see my doctor next week (have appointment already). I can no longer give blood (which is how I found out when they tested my blood, even though the results are indeterminate (meaning there could be nothing wrong with me) which sucks because I like giving blood because i've had a few friends who got really sick with cancer or life threatening injuries and needed blood so its important to me. I don't know what to do. Supposedly I'm "not likely infected" but if I am then i'm screwed.

The risk of having this is scaring me even more then the risk of having cervical cancer. I have no one to talk to. None of my friends would understand, they wouldn't be able to tell me anything that I'm not already telling myself or they'd just go all quiet and be like " wow that really sucks I hope it's ok", and I'll be like yeah, thanks for the support you fucking ass hole, I don't need people to be sad or scared for me, I don't want people asking me "what I did to cause it" as if I ever purposefully put myself at risk because I didn't, I'll see my doctor next week, until then I don't even know if I am really sick... I have no one to turn to right now and I desperately hope that someone here can give me some relevant help, if i get lucky one of you will have it or have a friend who does

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions

Last edited by Always *; June 21st 2013 at 09:23 PM.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Little Lion Man
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Katie

Re: Living with Hepatitis C - June 21st 2013, 09:12 PM

While I don't have hep c, there was about a month when I was 14 in which I was in a position like yours. My doctor ruled out all the other possible causes for why I was feeling ill, so a hep c test was the next step. It took a while for the test results to come in, so while they were, basically all I could do was sit and worry.
Honestly, if they say that you're not likely infected, than you're probably okay. Mine turned out to be a weird virus that just needed to run it's course, but it sure looked like it before we got everything figured out.
Try not to do what my mom did and look up everything about it and condemn yourself before you have your results in. It'll make everything seem much worse.
If it does turn out that you do have it, then there are support groups you can join, either offline or online.

I really hope this helped, it was kind of just rambling. But you aren't the only one that's been in that position.

Sorry I couldn't be there, I was tied to a rocking chair.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Living with Hepatitis C - June 22nd 2013, 09:30 PM

i'm really hoping what ever triggered that was a false response or just some other weird virus, like what happened to you. Cause I'm soooo freaked out right now and I've been trying to distract myself but I only have so much to do with my time right now. I end up thinking about it again and getting freaked out all over. Even though the letter says a few times I'm not likely infected I have anxiety issues and I can't help the worrying (been working on it though), this would obviously be upsetting to anyone.

The worst part is that I am going to be permanently deferred for blood donation because of this even if I am fine. Tuesday seems REALLY far away right now

(#4 (permalink)) Old
my.tai Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Living with Hepatitis C - July 6th 2013, 07:51 PM

Any news from your doctor yet? How are you doing/ feeling?

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Lelola Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Living with Hepatitis C - July 6th 2013, 10:31 PM

What are the odds of you actually having the disease? Do you have any risk factors? Hep C is rarely spread through sexual contact although they do not rule that out as a possible source of transmission. Do you have any tattoos? Any piercings? Drug usage? Did you receive a blood transfusion?

Also, when donating they are more prone to rule you out as a precaution than to risk having you infect people. Meaning the sensitivity on the tests are really high meaning if there is a chance then they will rule you out. You are more likely to get a false positive result when donating blood than on other tests.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Living with Hepatitis C - July 7th 2013, 02:56 PM

I don't have risk factors which is what freaked me out cause I couldn't even remember how I got put to risk IF something was wrong. I got all my piercings done at good sterile places and non of the other things apply to me. The risk of it transmitting through sex is so low I wouldn't even bother losing sleep over that possibility... The tests ARE super sensitive and there's a huge chance I'm completely fine... Like I'm not even worried any more

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
TeenHelp Addict

Name: Traci

Re: Living with Hepatitis C - July 8th 2013, 02:19 AM

You're not diagnosed yet, so I don't want to go too into everything, but Hep C is definitely manageable. I don't have it, but I know people with it, and it's not the end of the world nor a death sentence as it used to be. However, those tests are very sensitive. I had a friend whose test at first came up inconclusive for both Hep C and HIV, then later was negative on both (close call, eh?). It's okay! I would relax and just see what the doctor tells you, then going from there.

I said to the sun, "Tell me about the big bang"
& the sun said “it hurts to become."
Andrea Gibson, "I Sing The Body Electric; Especially When My Power Is Out"
  Send a message via MSN to Coffee.  
Closed Thread