TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Agony Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Heart rate too high? - July 30th 2013, 06:08 AM

Hey there everyone!

Ok so I was working out pretty hard tonight. Like drenched-in-sweat hard.

I started off on this weird machine. It had pedals but it wasn't a bike. You stayed standing up the whole time, anyways I did that for 12 minutes straight. I had it on 16 incline and was going pretty fast.

After that I went on the treadmill for about 45-50 minutes. I did running, jogging and walking. I did incline at 10.5 and change the speeds often.

After the treadmill I then went on the stationary bike. I started off on resistance 8, at about 3 minutes I went on low resistance and sped faster. I slowly made my way back up to 8 resistance again, but was still pedaling hard. I did this for about 12 minutes.

I had no breaks, not even when changing machines. I burned a lot of calories and ran a total of 5.5 miles. My heart was hurting a little bit during the workout, but was only really hurting during the treadmill and is now hurting steadily. I'm laying down, I've already taken a shower and haven't moved in at least 15mins.

On the treadmill the heart monitor said I had hit 234. My question is how? Is that even possible? It dropped down to 185 quick, but throughout the workout it kept going up to 204. Is it actually possible to hit that high? I was sweating a lot and for a second I had this horrible chest pain but it disappeared almost as soon as it came, only the pain in my wart stayed and it was mild.

I know y'all aren't doctors, I was just wodnering if its even possible to have a heart rate at 234.

Also want to add that I am an athlete and am not overweight, if that helps. I know your body is under more stress when overweight and running.

When I'm sad I think, "I got a jar of dirt, I got a jar of dirt!"

You can't change fate, but you can change your attitude towards it.
Former user: xArchDreamerx

Became a HelpLINK mentor on July 13th, 2013

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Riddikulus Offline
The magic word... expelliarmus
I've been here a while

Name: Ask me :)

Re: Heart rate too high? - July 30th 2013, 08:37 AM

Hey there

Peoples maxiumum heart rate varies and is usually calculated by 220 minus your age, (eg. if you're 18, 220-18 = 202 maximum heart rate). It's isn't really possible for your heart rate to have reached 234 as the heart would usually stop/fail at about 220.

It's great that you're staying fit and pushing yourself but make sure that you're careful, because doing it to the point where your heart hurts isn't good. You need to have rests inbetween machines/exercises in order for your body to recover a bit.

Take care and feel free to PM me if you have any questions,
Charli

'Never do anything that you wouldn't want to explain to the paramedics'

Helplink mentor 19/03/11
LiveHelp operator 25/04/11
Self Harm Mod 30/07/11
Chat Mod 16/01/12
Chit-Chat mod 7/05/12
General Health mod 13/10/12
Buddy 4/06/12

RIP Peter <3

Closed Thread