TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
zman419 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Letting myself go - August 7th 2013, 04:26 AM

I feel like in the past few years I've really let myself go. I've been gaining weight, I'm starting to get a gut and sometimes I run out of breath just by running down the street. I know a lot of it goes back to my eating. Ever since I've started working I've been indulging more and more into greasy, salty and fatty foods just because I have the money to. That would be easy to stop, but I frequntly get asked out to dinner with my friends and tie with my friends isnt something i like to turn down. To make matters worse (and this is embarrassing to admit because I''m 17 and not a little kid) I'm an extremely picky eater. Most healthy foods just don't taste good to me so i can't eat them (hell i throw up whenever I eat corn). A lot of what I don't like has to do withb the texture of the food. there are lots of foods that i thought taste all right but felt really weird in my mouth so i didn't really like it (sounds wierd I know).
Anyways I'm starting to find myself running out of options. I just don't know what i can do about this.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Thereishope Offline
Skittles Minion & Fish Thrower
I can't get enough

Name: Michael

Re: Letting myself go - August 8th 2013, 10:22 PM

I can understand where you're coming from. Try finding recipes online or in cookbooks etc that you might like and just experiment with different combos of foods. I'm sure you'll come up with some healthier things to eat that you'll like.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Not_here Offline
I can't get enough

Name: nobody

Re: Letting myself go - August 9th 2013, 11:57 AM

I agree with michael, try different recipes and try home cooking instead of eating out so much. Maybe if your friends want to eat out with you, you can suggest going to a park or someplace else to hang out, then you have more options like bringing your own lunch. Also I see where you're coming from with the textures of healthy food, but there are different styles to making them! Here are two examples. My sister doesn't like eggplant, but if I made it as a dip (babaganouj) then she will eat it because the texture is different. Same thing with garbanzo beans (chick peas). If you don't like the texture of beans, you can make it into hummus and the texture is different and vise versa (if you like chick pea style but not hummus)

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Rivière Offline
Par la rivière
I can't get enough

Name: Sarah

Re: Letting myself go - August 9th 2013, 02:56 PM

Someone I knew was very similar in nature. He'd never like to eat fruit and vegetables because he always felt they were going to taste disgusting. Whenever his mum puts food on his plate he'd check it in case of hidden vegetable surprises and each time he had a properly cooked meal he'd spend time picking out the 'bits' like the leafy herby bits and any and all tomato pieces because he hated them too. A lot of things he never even tried because once he heard there was a specific ingredient in it, he'd just outright refuse to eat it. He only ever ate things like noodles, chips, burgers, anything he deemed 'quick and easy'.

Not all vegetables and fruit are actually bad tasting. I know many vegetables can have that weird aftertaste or the texture is really gritty or just plain yuck. Fruit is intended to be sweeter, the texture of it however can be quite similar to vegetables and it can often be off-putting. The person I knew would refuse to eat certain foods because of there being a certain ingredient in it, even though it would never be involved in the taste much, he would still refuse, this is because part of the reason why is psychological. Once we get it into our heads that something tastes disgusting or it has a horrible texture to it, we tend to identify it more in foods where we can't taste or feel its texture and this is where it's not so much about what it's going to taste like or its texture but the fact that it's there in the food we're eating.

It's hard to eat the right foods when not only is it being pushed at you from almost every angle but you already dislike eating a lot of foods for their texture. Try like Michael suggested and take a look at some recipes. You could even try making yourself smoothies or try nutritional drinks to help provide your body with the right nutrients it needs. Experiment with foods. Remember that you might dislike something for its texture but mixed with something else, it can taste and feel completely different.

When I go out to eat, the first thing I will always have is a salad, it's habitual because I feel if I can and I have the option to, I would rather have the healthy option because I also know that I'll end up getting unhealthy food one way or another through another situation like you are when you're at work and you end up having greasy foods. Give it a try and see how you like it, each place you visit also does their own salads or healthier options in their own way and you could even make your own, adding whatever you think is going to be much more tastier for yourself.

Life is for living, not for losing.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
zman419 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Letting myself go - August 10th 2013, 02:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTides View Post
Someone I knew was very similar in nature. He'd never like to eat fruit and vegetables because he always felt they were going to taste disgusting. Whenever his mum puts food on his plate he'd check it in case of hidden vegetable surprises and each time he had a properly cooked meal he'd spend time picking out the 'bits' like the leafy herby bits and any and all tomato pieces because he hated them too. A lot of things he never even tried because once he heard there was a specific ingredient in it, he'd just outright refuse to eat it. He only ever ate things like noodles, chips, burgers, anything he deemed 'quick and easy'.

Not all vegetables and fruit are actually bad tasting. I know many vegetables can have that weird aftertaste or the texture is really gritty or just plain yuck. Fruit is intended to be sweeter, the texture of it however can be quite similar to vegetables and it can often be off-putting. The person I knew would refuse to eat certain foods because of there being a certain ingredient in it, even though it would never be involved in the taste much, he would still refuse, this is because part of the reason why is psychological. Once we get it into our heads that something tastes disgusting or it has a horrible texture to it, we tend to identify it more in foods where we can't taste or feel its texture and this is where it's not so much about what it's going to taste like or its texture but the fact that it's there in the food we're eating.

It's hard to eat the right foods when not only is it being pushed at you from almost every angle but you already dislike eating a lot of foods for their texture. Try like Michael suggested and take a look at some recipes. You could even try making yourself smoothies or try nutritional drinks to help provide your body with the right nutrients it needs. Experiment with foods. Remember that you might dislike something for its texture but mixed with something else, it can taste and feel completely different.

When I go out to eat, the first thing I will always have is a salad, it's habitual because I feel if I can and I have the option to, I would rather have the healthy option because I also know that I'll end up getting unhealthy food one way or another through another situation like you are when you're at work and you end up having greasy foods. Give it a try and see how you like it, each place you visit also does their own salads or healthier options in their own way and you could even make your own, adding whatever you think is going to be much more tastier for yourself.
To be fair the main place i go out for dinner is a really good sports bar with cheap wings. my friends an i go out every payday for wings and i figure that's kinda acceptable because i guess chicken isn't that bad for.

I'm not really a big salad guy either although i guess maybe trying some things couldn't hurt.

I also definitely need to cut down on the pop. ive tried many different drinks as a substitue (chocolate milk, fruit punch, sunny d) but i still always seem to be craving pop. It definatley makes things a problem and more often than not i give into my craving.

Sometimes I just feel powerless, i know i'm in control of my own actions but, i feel like my cravings control me sometimes.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Azure. Offline
Filling My Panties.
I can't get enough

Re: Letting myself go - August 10th 2013, 02:58 AM

What I would do if I were in your situation is set a goal to exchange one unhealthy thing for a nutritious thing everyday. Like say I really wanted pop with my lunch. I would recognize that and decide to have water instead once you are comfortable with that, move your goal up to 2 or 3 healthy alternatives a day. And make sure to get plenty of exercise

vm-pm
♥♥♥
Find your light in a new dawn.
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

(#7 (permalink)) Old
zman419 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Letting myself go - August 10th 2013, 03:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nal View Post
What I would do if I were in your situation is set a goal to exchange one unhealthy thing for a nutritious thing everyday. Like say I really wanted pop with my lunch. I would recognize that and decide to have water instead once you are comfortable with that, move your goal up to 2 or 3 healthy alternatives a day. And make sure to get plenty of exercise
Thats actually a good idea.
and excersize is a biggy, i play a lot of video games so i dont get out as much as i should. but such is the life of a gamer i suppose

Closed Thread