TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
ClockWorkHearts Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Ko

Question Only eating one meal a day? - October 22nd 2013, 03:47 AM

Hey, so I was wondering if only eating one meal a day can have negative side affects? Basically since the new school year began I've only been eating about one regular meal a day (usually lunches). This is because if I eat right after waking up (right before going to school) it makes me feel sick, and usually I sleep through dinner. Can this be bad for my health? I haven't noticed any changes in my weight or complexion or mood (even though thatís always been pretty up-and-down), anyway I was just wondering.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
dragonblood Offline
hello there
Average Joe

Name: Call me Daff

Re: Only eating one meal a day? - October 22nd 2013, 06:23 AM

Hey there,
The reasons against are high blood pressure and blood sugar levels, and a weaker immune system.
To find out more go here

~the dragon one

(#3 (permalink)) Old
SouthernBelle. Offline
InsaneAnnie
I've been here a while

Name: Anna

Re: Only eating one meal a day? - October 22nd 2013, 01:06 PM

However, there are some alternative sources that say eating one meal a day is not only fine for you, but healthy for you. I don't know how healthy it is, but personally, I think that if you don't feel like eating, then you shouldn't make yourself. You'll only make yourself feel sick constantly, and that won't be any better. If you start to feel hungry at other times of the day, though, then eat.

Just listen to your body. It knows what it's doing better than a heap of medical essays done on observances based on the general populous. Each body is an individual. If you feel you're doing well and that you're healthy, don't second-guess your body by asking the opinions of other people. Everyone has a completely different body chemistry. Only you can say what feels healthy for you, as an individual.

Anna's Personal Keys to Happiness
1. Do what you want within the bounds of reason, whenever you want to, and regret nothing. 2. If you have an opinion, don't beat around the bush, or there isn't a point in saying it. 3. Don't keep the company of anyone who won't like you and will try to change you.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Dream Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Only eating one meal a day? - October 22nd 2013, 06:43 PM

It depends on what you eat for that one meal, but chances are that you're not getting enough nutrition to maintain healthy functioning.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
ClockWorkHearts Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Ko

Re: Only eating one meal a day? - October 23rd 2013, 04:59 AM

Hey dragon, its great that you went and looked this up for me but I think you might have misunderstood. When I say I only eat one meal a day I don't mean in place of three seperate meals, I usually only eat one meal with the amount of calories of a regular meal (not enough calories to be equal to three, like mentioned in this article) Anyway, I'm really glad you responded anyway and I'm gratful for the sentament, thank you !

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Peanut~ Offline
nanos gigantium humeris inside
Not a n00b

Name: What's in a name?
Gender: Addams (think Addams family - Addams Family Values pt2)

Re: Only eating one meal a day? - October 23rd 2013, 08:53 AM

I think I only really eat one meal a day, and on weekends I know I only eat one a day on sunday, but it really depends how you define a meal, after all, is a milkshake and a few biscuits really a meal? if not, then I really only have one a day, except when I have some fruit, but again, is a bit of fruit counted as a meal?

Basically though, it really depends on what you are eating. I have the same menu nearly every day of the week, but then again, I am a student, and I do not really do that much excersize, so I do not really need much during the week, and always eat something when I feel hungry. During the weekend when I typically do more, my meals are usually 2 courses, and at lunch time, whereas during the week, its usually one course and in the evening. You also should make sure you are eating a good balance of different kinds of food during the week, this is to make sure your body gets all the minerals and vitamins it needs. I will have fish twice a week, meat/fowl(bird) 2 to 3 times a week, dairy/bread at least once, flower based eg pasta a few times too.

So, what I am trying to say is, it depends on what you are eating, and if you are getting all the vitamins you need, and all the calories you need to get through the day. If you are not feeling hungry or out of energy, and are not loosing weight, and what you are eating varies enough over the week so that you get all the vitamins you need, then you will be fine. if you are not, you need to change something.

I like to help, and give advice, but I can be brutally honest. Feel free to PM me if you want, for any reason. I have yet to find a topic that I will not talk about, regardless of how much, or little I know about the topic.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Lelola Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Only eating one meal a day? - October 24th 2013, 04:05 PM

Not usually. However, if you're having snacks throughout the day or at least several times a day then it probably is fine. How much are you sleeping though? Are you sleeping too much that you may want to get looked at? If you're sleeping more than 10 hours a night, I would be concerned.

Closed Thread