TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Adalia Rose Offline
Average Joe

Name: Adalia Rose

Wisdom Teeth - December 5th 2013, 10:27 PM

I am going to be getting all four wisdom teeth taken out because they are impacted. Any suggestions for me to make the experience easier?

- Adalia

"Ghosts don't scare me. Flesh and blood people do." ~ Ellen Hopkins

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Pirouette Offline
Just a girl strolling by
I've been here a while

Name: Rishy

Re: Wisdom Teeth - December 6th 2013, 02:10 AM

I got two of my wisdom teeth taken out this summer. It wasn't really painful, but there are strict diet restrictions for a couple of weeks and there's certain medications that you have to take after getting them removed. Just be sure to do exactly what the dentist tells you to do and it'll be alright.

[left]

"Imperfection is beauty;
madness is genius;
and its better to be absolutely ridiculous
than absolutely boring."

-Marilyn Monroe

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Lelola Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Wisdom Teeth - December 8th 2013, 03:48 AM

Get all prescriptions filled before you go to your appointment.
Are you going to be sedated?

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Sassyrose Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Erin

Re: Wisdom Teeth - December 8th 2013, 04:32 AM

I highly recommend the general anesthesia. Have someone drive you to and from the appointment. Buy some tea bags and get some extra gauze. I just had two removed in August, I know what I'm talking about here, heh. The tea bags, when moistened, can be put on the sites where the teeth were removed to help slow the bleeding the first few days. However, don't let them dry out and be careful that the tea bags don't break, it makes a bit of a mess to have bloody tea bits in your mouth. Rinse, gargle, as directed.. and def. take the anesthesia. It's a wonderful thing. Don't eat the day of the surgery or you might not be able to get the anesthesia.. but the specifics will need to come from the oral surgeon.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Philomath Offline
Love is > your mistakes
I can't get enough

Name: Christina

Re: Wisdom Teeth - December 8th 2013, 06:33 AM

Hi,

I've never had my wisdom teeth taken out; they actually have not even grown in yet. But anyways, I know some useful information because I have friends that have gone through this process.
In terms of the operation, you will most likely be under some form of anesthesia so you will not feel anything.
I know they give some rather strong medication to help with the pain afterward that you have to take fore a few days (if you can drive, you won't be able to; until you are off the intense medicine) and you will need some time out of school most likely if you are a student because for the first three or so days after you wil be taking the medicine. Since you are getting all four teeth removed, your recovery may be a bit slower than just one or two teeth being removed will be.
When my friend got her four teeth removed about a month ago, she couldn't eat solid food (ie. pop corn, sandwiches etc.) for about a week and a half. She actually ended up opening one of her stitches because she started eating food to quickly. So, follow very closely the advice your doctor gives you: eat what they say you can when you can and do not attempt eating what you cannot chew.
You may think your mouth is healed enough but definitely check with your dentist to be sure.
You can eat a lot of soups and other similar food or soft foods like apple sauce.
It may seem like a scary process but it really is not.
The best thing to do is anything your doctor says you can and to not do what they say you can't.
I hope this is helpful and that all goes well when you have them removed.

"i don't care your intentions. I just want you to know my self-hatred never took me where I wanted to go. At the end of the day...I can pick at the pain but I can't cut it away."

(#6 (permalink)) Old
"Bisexual" Tux (Linux Mascot)
I've been here a while

Name: Chris

Re: Wisdom Teeth - December 8th 2013, 06:54 AM

Hey there,

As someone who was really anxious about having this procedure (to the point of depression, mind you), I feel it important for me to weigh in here.

I was completely terrified on the day of my surgery. Absolutely in a state of panic in the chair. Now, that's a difficult thing to control (though there ARE a lot of relaxation techniques that can help). However, I just want you to be aware that it is really not worth being really worked up about. There is very little (almost NOTHING) that has potential to cause you any long-term harm. The anesthesia (although in itself quite scary when you're thinking about it) will help make it easy. You literally lie down, get the anesthesia (usually by IV), fall asleep, and wake up with the procedure all done. As far as you're concerned, you will only have been asleep for a very short time. You don't have anything to be worried about. Just relax, and tell me if you want to talk. Hope it's easy for you and it doesn't present a time of anxiety like it did for me

Chris
You can always contact me to talk about anything!
---------------------
Proud to be myself.

Need a hug? Please take one!

Image Credit: startingover18 (Tumblr)

last updated on 11/11/17

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Lelola Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Wisdom Teeth - December 9th 2013, 07:01 PM

I'll give my personal experience. I was given a week off school and told to come back if I was going to need more time because of how compacted my teeth were. I was having all 4 removed and I was going to be sedated.

I was up and running around the next day and I forgot I had a week off school and ended up going to school that Monday (I had the surgery on a Friday). I quit taking the pain meds that Sunday.If you get antibiotics, keep on taking them though. I followed the care and I had no issues. The worse part of it was being nauseous after the sedation and vomiting once.

I recommend making sure you get everything that you will need beforehand so you will have it at home. Ask what foods they want you to eat and buy a bunch beforehand.

Closed Thread