TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Sex and Puberty For questions related to sex, puberty, birth control and sexual health, ask here!

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Can you hear the silence?
Senior TeenHelper

Points: 26,546, Level: 23 Points: 26,546, Level: 23 Points: 26,546, Level: 23

Am I eating the correct food and doing the right workouts for the correct period of time in order to lose weight healthy? - September 11th 2015, 11:34 PM

Hi everyone

I put on a bit of weight because I have depression and I spent a good few months in my bed and I put a little bit of fat on to my tummy and chest and I would like to get rid of it.

I plan on doing a rowing machine for 15 mins a day does this seem like a sensible enough workout?

I'm really worried about what food I should be eating because I'm a really funny eater I only eat select foods and most days I just eat chicken I drink loads of sugar drinks and stuff what should I be consuming to lose weight ?
Losing weight should be carried out safely
I can't eat fruit or vegetables or drink water either I don't like them.
Thanks everyone.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Traci
Pronouns: she/her/hers

Points: 95,373, Level: 44 Points: 95,373, Level: 44 Points: 95,373, Level: 44

Re: Am I eating the correct food and doing the right workouts for the correct period of time in order to lose weight healthy? - September 12th 2015, 12:40 AM

If you're worried about your weight gain, I'd talk to a doctor. Generally, you want to be doing 30 minutes of cardio around 5 days a week, and eating less calories than you're burning. You'll need to speak to a doctor about that as we cannot give calorie numbers there, and they can give a better recommendation for your weight. I don't understand how you don't like water, fruits, and veggies. Water is the best.

something burning?
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
JazzyJazz Offline
Associate HelpLINK Mentor
Regular TeenHelper

Points: 5,906, Level: 11 Points: 5,906, Level: 11 Points: 5,906, Level: 11

Re: Am I eating the correct food and doing the right workouts for the correct period of time in order to lose weight healthy? - September 15th 2015, 11:02 PM

Water and sugary drinks aren't the only options out there.

Sugary/fizzy drinks really aren't good for you, for numerous health reasons. If you don't like water on its own then try mixing it with some squash/cordial.

15 minutes a day is a good start, working up to 30 minutes in a few weeks as suggested by Traci.

You can lose weight without eating fruit and vegetables, although vegetables are an important source of vitamins and minerals that are essential for overall health.

What will help with weight loss is avoiding simple carbohydrates such as crisps, biscuits and pastry. Feel free to have them now and again, in small quantities, but ultimately if you're eating more calories than you need, you're not going to lose the weight.

~ Jasmine

Be kind to yourself.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Eternal Offline
TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Nicole

Points: 77,763, Level: 39 Points: 77,763, Level: 39 Points: 77,763, Level: 39

Re: Am I eating the correct food and doing the right workouts for the correct period of time in order to lose weight healthy? - September 15th 2015, 11:13 PM

Chicken isn't the best food to eat lots of because meat and animal products tend to be high in saturated fats. I really recommend trying to incorporate fruits and vegetables in your diet, there must be some you like or some seasonings you can add that will make them taste better. Perhaps you can try eating things like oatmeal, yogurt, egg whites, tea instead of juice or sugary drinks, etc. 15 minutes a day is better than nothing and it can be a good starting point, but if you can get up to 30 minutes or so, that would be even better. Perhaps 15 minutes on the rowing machine and then a 15 minute jog afterwards?

And here you are living, despite it all.
Lead Moderator | Disputes Committee | HelpLINK Mentor
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Pein Offline
how the world shall know pain
Not a n00b

Points: 6,041, Level: 11 Points: 6,041, Level: 11 Points: 6,041, Level: 11

Re: Am I eating the correct food and doing the right workouts for the correct period of time in order to lose weight healthy? - September 21st 2015, 07:31 PM

On first note Im not doctor nor nutritionist. So Id suggest talking to one of them in terms of diet related stuff. But I can say they will suggest cutting back or getting rid of sugary drinks and drink water. But to spice up the flavor of water get one of those water enhancer things like mio for example. But id suggest just sticking with plain water. A doc would also say get a good mix of your proteins, fats, and carbs though eating quality meats ( chicken, steak, fish) same with carbs ( sweet potatoes, brown rice, multigrain breads) and you'll get the fats you need from your meats, but it wouldn't hurt to get a small amount from a good olive oil. and the doc could help you with getting what you need right.

Now for your workout routine. get a good mix of cardio and resistance training. so for cardio you can choose anything. from rowing like you already do, jogging, jumping rope, walking. but for a good steady state cardio work up to 20-30 min daily. Honestly id suggest just a good brisk walk for a half hour soak up some outside while listening to your fav music or a audiobook or podcast.

And for resistance training, that can be anything from working out in a gym to just doing some simple bodyweight training. Id suggest sticking with bodyweight training for a while though. That will help with getting a good amount of strength and muscle tone without getting too big. Plus it will help with your structural integrity meaning you will have a good posture, and your body will move with good function and everything will move correctly. That will also help if you ever decide to go to the gym as well.

With resistance training stick with a good full body workout 3 days a week with a rest day in between each day and rest on weekends. so for example do resistance training monday, wednesday, and friday. while resting tuesday, thursday, saturday, and sunday. or vise versa.

And If you'd like just send me a message and I will give you a very simple, yet very effective workout routine that if done with a proper diet will get you great results.
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Traci
Pronouns: she/her/hers

Points: 95,373, Level: 44 Points: 95,373, Level: 44 Points: 95,373, Level: 44

Re: Am I eating the correct food and doing the right workouts for the correct period of time in order to lose weight healthy? - September 22nd 2015, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eumoirous View Post
Chicken isn't the best food to eat lots of because meat and animal products tend to be high in saturated fats
While I'm vegetarian myself, so I don't eat chicken, but I must correct this. It depends how it's prepared. Chicken on its own is actually pretty low in saturated fat, especially chicken breast, and has really good concentrations of protein, but the problems more come in on how it's prepared (if it's fried). There's also debate on how saturated fat isn't as bad as we once thought (recent studies in the last two years), but this can be an entire thread of its own, haha. But as a whole, chicken is not high in saturated fat anyway, and as long as it's boiled, broiled, or baked and not covered in caloric sauces, it's a very healthy source of protein.

Sorry Nicole. I'm very for plant-based diets, but I want to make sure the info is accurate.

something burning?
Closed Thread