TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
_Headphones_ Offline
Music Lover

Outside, huh?

Name: Frankie<3

remendies to stop misqueto bites from itching - October 11th 2016, 05:13 AM

It seems like every time of year my room has a ton a misquetos and bugs that bite. They are all itchy and really big because I'm kinda allergic to them. So they are big welts not just dots. Anyways is there any remedies of getting rid of the itching because I DO NOT want more scabs and scars.

Don't lose who you are, in the blur of the stars
Seeing is deceiving, dreaming is believing,
It's okay not to be okay
Sometimes it's hard, to follow your heart
Tears don't mean you're losing, everybody's bruising,
Just be true to who you are
|Member 2007||Senior Community Mentor||Social Media Guru||Resource & Newsletter Editor||Writer||Chat Mod|
|Forum Mod: LGBT, Sexuality and gender identity, Eating Disorders, Self-Harm, Peer Pressure and Bullying, Disability|
|PM/VM|

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: remendies to stop misqueto bites from itching - October 11th 2016, 05:57 AM

Hey Essa, I feel your pain, mosquitoes seem to LOVE me, UGH The best stuff we found this stuff called "After Bite", It's a white tube with orange letters, Kind of expensive, but totally worth it, but will sting if you've scratched, but otherwise, you forget the bites are there. Just make sure you get the one with the ammonia in it. Other anti-itch creams will work and hand sanitizer works too, but it can leave scars for some reason.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#3 (permalink)) Old
arepo Offline
I can't get enough

Re: remendies to stop misqueto bites from itching - October 11th 2016, 06:30 AM

I am also allergic to mosquitoes and they seem to be able to find me whenever I'm outside. Depending on the amount of bites and how large the hives get I personally use Benadryl extra strength itch stopping gel/stick/spray for minor reactions. Certain anti-itch creams and hand sanitizer can leave scars, like Katie said, but I've never experienced that with Benadryl brands. When I have a larger reaction or more bites I take children's liquid Benadryl because it works better for me, but the pill form is fine too. Though, just as a precaution (which you might know), the oral forms of Benadryl can make a person drowsy.

Something I also do for persistently itchy bites is put cheap band-aids over them. If I'm not going anywhere I won't care how silly I look with a ton of them. If you do find yourself super itchy with no relief, trying to distract yourself from it might help and/or keeping your hands busy with something. I will sometimes do something that makes my hands dirty because I won't want to get any of the material, like clay, anywhere else. I know that's a hard tactic to actually use, but can honestly be the most helpful when your brain is busy on a task and not paying attention to bodily sensations as much.

Not completely related, but you might want to look into pet safe bug solutions. I'm not sure if it works for mosquitoes, but we have this all natural bug repellent spray (not for human skin) that we spray the perimeter of our house with and it keeps the majority of bugs away. It's mostly made up of minty oils and has a strong peppermint smell, but it really works. As soon as I spray it I see bugs running away. I'm not also sure about the weather in California, but most of the mosquitoes outside after the fall/winter first frost die off because it's too cold for them to live. I'm not sure if California ever gets to that temperature, but if it does you could open your bedroom windows (if you have them) to essentially chill your room out and kill them all with science. There's also lots of other options that are safe for pets you could look into as well.

Best of luck with this, Essa! I know how annoying mosquitoes and bugs in general can be.

“There is nothing beautiful about the wreckage of a human being.
There is nothing pretty about damage, about pain, about heartache.
What is beautiful is their strength, their resilience, their fortitude
as they display an ocean of courage when they pick through the
wreckage of their life to build something beautiful brand new,
against every odd that is stacked against them.” — Nikita Gill

(#4 (permalink)) Old
fallingstargirl Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Estelle

Re: remendies to stop misqueto bites from itching - October 12th 2016, 12:15 AM

That sucks, mosquitoes are the worst. I have Benadryl gel that stops them from itching, and also Benadryl spray. I think the spray works best, and one bottle lasts a while. They also don't leave scars. I agree with the above user, putting band-aids on should also help you stop scratching!

The opposite of war isn't peace - it's creation
~Jonathan Larson

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Lexify. Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Lexi.

Re: remendies to stop misqueto bites from itching - October 12th 2016, 12:28 AM

I swell up too when I get bit. I usually take an allergy pill and use Benadryl Topical Cream or tea tree oil works really well for me as well.
My sister prefers using solarcaine first aid lotion. It relieves itchy insect bites as well. Watkin's bug balm also works if you don't want to use Benadryl.
Band aids are a good idea if you can't stop itching.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Nightblood. Offline
jus drein jus daun
I've been here a while

Re: remendies to stop misqueto bites from itching - October 12th 2016, 01:03 AM

I also highly recommend benedryl and benedryl cream for itching. I get 2 injections of things I'm allergic to a week and sometimes it swells and itches like a mosquito bite and benedryl cream works wonders. I'll also occasionally put a bandaid on if I just can't stop myself from scratching.

I know there's a lot of home remedies on the internet, and a really common one is using a nail to make an x in the bite but this heightens your risk of infection with no real relief so I have to advise against that one.

"We all have battle scars, Finn. Suck it up and build a brace for yours."

(#7 (permalink)) Old
_Headphones_ Offline
Music Lover

Outside, huh?

Name: Frankie<3

Re: remendies to stop misqueto bites from itching - October 12th 2016, 04:31 AM

These are all great but they don't last forever. I use after bite but that last for an hours. Im talking about remedies that will take the sting away forever like take the venom out. Things like that.

Don't lose who you are, in the blur of the stars
Seeing is deceiving, dreaming is believing,
It's okay not to be okay
Sometimes it's hard, to follow your heart
Tears don't mean you're losing, everybody's bruising,
Just be true to who you are
|Member 2007||Senior Community Mentor||Social Media Guru||Resource & Newsletter Editor||Writer||Chat Mod|
|Forum Mod: LGBT, Sexuality and gender identity, Eating Disorders, Self-Harm, Peer Pressure and Bullying, Disability|
|PM/VM|

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Nightblood. Offline
jus drein jus daun
I've been here a while

Re: remendies to stop misqueto bites from itching - October 12th 2016, 10:21 AM

There is no way to make it stop bothering you forever.

"We all have battle scars, Finn. Suck it up and build a brace for yours."

Closed Thread