TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
MsNobleEleanor Offline
Courting Chivalrous Fidelity

I can't get enough

Question Physiotherapty for concussion - December 15th 2016, 02:33 AM

I can't deal with this anymore, it's making me feel ill. Little background: in May I was thrown down concrete stairs and hit my head at the bottom. Ended up with a concussion. The hospital didn't think I was in any danger from the head injury. But left with a concussion.

I thought my symptoms were getting better but it's so bad that I feel I'll either pass out or throw up.

Before my head hurt, but I was manly dizzy and saw double. Then for the longest time light bothered me so I wore sunglasses. That was really the only issue with some mild dizziness here and there.

Now, I get these horrific headaches, it feels my head is going to explode, I get dizzy, faint, the light just kills, I feel like I'm about to throw up. This lasts maybe 20-40 minutes up to an hour and stops.

Sometimes I cry because it hurts so bad.

I don't understand why my symptoms are so worse now. It could be the snow outside and the sun reflecting? Going into buildings with those lights bothers me so I wear sunglasses inside, sometimes I don't.

I'm seeing a Physiotherapy next week for concussion assessment and treatment. What are they going to do? I thought I was getting better then out of nowhere all this happens (I've considered going to the hospital to ask for pain killers and I don't like drugs) and I don't know what to do. I sit in a dark room and it takes forever to go back to 'normal'. Would it even help seeing a physiotherapist, I have no idea what they will do and right now, I'm desperate for something. Has anyone seen one, was it helpful?

Has anyone seen a physiotherapist for concussion treatment and did it help?

Thank you.

Have questions or would like to chat send me a PM
+
Senior Article Editor | Newsletter Editor | Resource Editor
Outreach Ambassador | Social Media Guru
Community Moderator | Forum Moderator

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly

Re: Physiotherapty for concussion - December 15th 2016, 02:55 PM

I've not had concussion or physiotherapy, however, I'm wondering if what you are experiencing (the headaches, dizziness, nausea) might be something like post-concussion syndrome (symptoms that appear after a concussion and generally last a few months, but most often resolve within a year). You can check this out for more information.

I think it's a good idea to carry on wearing sunglasses as it definitely sounds like the snow and sun may be increasing your sensitivity to light.

I'm guessing physiotherapy might help. Not too sure what would happen though, but it may help with the dizziness side of things.

Hope others can help you more!

HelpLINK and Live Help Officer
Feel free to PM me! Even if I canít help, Iím always going to listen <3
SKITTLIFY!

(#3 (permalink)) Old
MsNobleEleanor Offline
Courting Chivalrous Fidelity

I can't get enough

Re: Physiotherapty for concussion - December 22nd 2016, 01:34 AM

I am not sure if I stand in a weird place with regretting going or not regretting going. I am not sure.

The appointment went okay. I was completely tired and exhausted. I did this test that basically showed I am struggling with functioning because of the concussion. That usually concussions go away after 21 days, but mine hasn't. That the computer test showed I have difficulty and my scores are below normal.

The therapist didn't want to go over the results with me, she wanted to do other tests with my eyes, movement, balance, etc., and honestly, answering the questions after doing them felt weird. She said, that is what she saw. My eyes don't follow like a normal person without a concussion... they stop to take a pause before finishing. I mentioned it was like they "jump".

The balance part was complete a utterly ridiculous. I couldn't balance with my eyes closed at all.

At the end she explained the test results I did on the computer with what I did with her. She said that I am more in the category of concussion syndrome and that it is easily corrected but can take time. There I am being told my concussion should have gotten better but hasn't, that this will take another 6-8 sessions to go back to normal.

6 to 8 sessions... that is over one thousand dollars which included the cost for todays session.

Then, I need to do 30 reps 3 times a day of the same tests I had to do for her, but at home. I feel that is way to much for me to handle. 10 reps was hard enough. I am going to end up needing to take 2 naps after them and the 3rd one would be around bedtime.

Apparently, next session will be more helpful or something. That there is something different. I have no idea. I never asked for this damn concussion and I am the one needing to fork over one thousand on treatment. It's not far. It's not like I injured myself in sports...

Have questions or would like to chat send me a PM
+
Senior Article Editor | Newsletter Editor | Resource Editor
Outreach Ambassador | Social Media Guru
Community Moderator | Forum Moderator

(#4 (permalink)) Old
FrozenRobot7 Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Danielle

Re: Physiotherapty for concussion - December 23rd 2016, 03:04 AM

I had a similar thing happen to me. I got a concussion when someone threw a softball at the back of my head. When I went to the doctor, they said that I would be fine, but said if the pain got so bad that I was throwing up or was being woken up by it when in a deep sleep, to come back. This never happened to me, but for a month or so after I was really sensitive to light and sound, which is completely normal.

But after about a week of perfect health, I started getting really bad migraines. My doctor was concerned, so she sent me to a neurologist, which I am pretty sure is like what is going on with you.

He basically told me that after a concussion, migraines are pretty normal. But, since there was a gap from when I got the concussion and when I got the migraines again, that the concussion likely just brought on migraines, which I would have gotten anyway.

This was over 2 years ago. Now, I still get headaches every few days, but they are not nearly as bad as they were for the first year or so.

For you though, it sounds like your symptoms are more severe then mine ever were, and your "diagnoses" for all of this might be more concrete. In my eyes, this would be better, because you can be prescribed something specific to what is going on with you, and most likely help more. For me, it was just "migraines", so I had to somewhat "tough it out" for over year, which was very difficult for me.

I really hope this made sense, and helped you

Closed Thread