TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
FrozenRobot7 Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Danielle

Question Should I lose weight? - December 23rd 2016, 03:10 AM

I am currently 14 years old, 5'4, and [Edited]

I have always been super insecure about my weight, and I feel that I really am fat. But according do literally every statistic, I am perfectly healthy.

I know people are always more hypo-critical over themselves, but I honestly think that my stomach and things are huge. But, I play volleyball, so it's not like I'm not getting out there and excising, but I just honestly don't know if I should lose more weight or not.

Please be fully honestly, because it will help me more if you are

Last edited by Celyn; December 23rd 2016 at 09:30 AM. Reason: Please don't post weight numbers :)

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: Should I lose weight? - December 23rd 2016, 03:17 AM

Hey Danielle, your doctor would be the best person to ask about anything specific. There is no real "standard" for health anymore, people come in all shapes and sizes, some are more muscular or athletic than others, and it doesn't mean there's a problem. I think everyone has something about themselves that they wish they could change. If you are active and eat relatively healthy, I don't think you have anything to worry about, but again, your doctor would be the best person to ask.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Jess~ Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: jess

Re: Should I lose weight? - January 5th 2017, 04:08 AM

statistics are there because they're generally true, so if statistically you are at a healthy weight, you are most likely at a healthy weight.

one thing you really need to remember here is that you are 14-15 years old. you still have so much growing to do and to deprive your body of nutrition with a diet would put yourself at a huge risk.

it seems like you're fairly active already, since you do volleyball. i was in volleyball for a few years and i can truthfully say that not a single girl on my team or on the other teams were overweight in the slightest. not saying it can never happen, but i'm just saying, this can be an intense sport and if you're able to keep up, i would say there's nothing you need to change.

if you want to change specific parts of your body, like tone the muscles in your arms or lose belly fat, then i could recommend certain things to you. but to lose weight in general, i'd say it's not necessary for you to do so.
like the poster above said, the only person who can 100% tell you for sure is your doctor, so i strongly advise you to ask them about it.
just keep eating healthy, fruits and vegetables and protein, and keep exercising. maybe, if you want to do something in addition to volleyball, go for a 20 minute jog every morning/afternoon. or every other day. do a quick 5-10 min cardio routine before school, to energize yourself for the day.

i don't know what i'm supposed to do
haunted by the ghost of you

(#4 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Online
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Should I lose weight? - January 5th 2017, 11:09 AM

Hey there,

If you feel like you need to lose weight I would suggest that you try talking to your doctor about this. They will be able to assess if you need to lose weight and then, if they think you need to or can, they will help you figure out a way to go about losing weight in a healthy manner.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Eternal Offline
Lead Moderator

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Nicole

Re: Should I lose weight? - January 5th 2017, 09:44 PM

If your doctor and statistics say you're a healthy weight, there's nothing to worry about. Personally though, I've found that when I eat better, I feel better. If you're getting plenty of exercise but still feel like you aren't where you want to be, I recommend taking a look at the foods you're eating. It really can make a big impact to include more vegetables and cut back on things like sweets and dairy. Additionally, remember that you don't have to be a certain weight to be adequate. Everyone carries weight differently, that's why those statistics are just guidelines. I also think your age is around the time when most girls become more self-conscious. I was extremely critical of myself when I was a teenager. You'll come to realize though that your size doesn't make up who you are, and it has no effect on whether people will like you.

Most people don't exercise enough, so the fact you play vollyball already is making you more healthy. I know it can be hard, but just focus on all the good things you are doing for your body. Just focus on giving your body the nutrition it needs as well.

And here you are living, despite it all.
Lead Moderator | Disputes Committee | HelpLINK Mentor

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Hanna24 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

January 15th 2017, 09:28 AM

I'm facing the same problem too. If you feel you are over weight in any way or are not happy with your weight, then reduce it. Or else be the same.

Doesn't matter what others think.

Last edited by Melancholia.; January 15th 2017 at 10:53 PM. Reason: Merging two consecutive posts. :)

Closed Thread