TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
biter Offline
Queen
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Dan

Question Trying to be Healthier - April 19th 2017, 12:28 AM

Hello! I'm trying to be healthier, mostly because I know I'll be more mentally stable this way, also because I always feel sick and hate the feeling.
Anyway, I know my question is very broad, so I'll just ask for tips. I want to eat healthier and everything, but my family is going through very rough times (personal) and we can't afford any healthy foods! I've never even tried an eighth of the fruits and vegetables out there, and I know the easiest way to try them would be while at a restaurant, but I would hate wasting money just to try something new! I once ordered a side of broccoli, and I was 100% HYPE to try it, but I felt disgusted when it actually came! I'm most likely a picky eater. Anyways, does anybody have any tips on that?
Another thing I'm trying to do is exercise more, but that's really hard to do while I'm always sluggish. Do I just stick it out? I'm not even strong enough to do a pushup, and it's embarrassing!
Thanks for helping

some people aren't willing enough to help. are you?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Outside, huh?

Name: Holly

Re: Trying to be Healthier - April 19th 2017, 12:11 PM

It's good that you are trying to get healthy, and there is definitely a link between a healthy body and a healthy mind!

Sorry to hear that your family can't afford healthy foods. Restaurants can be expensive, so perhaps try checking out fruit and vegetable shops or supermarkets that sell fruit and vegetables? Otherwise, depending on where you live, growing your own things can be a cheaper (although more time consuming) alternative.

As for exercise, yep, it's good to stick it out even if it doesn't feel that great to begin with. It's okay to struggle with doing one push-up. Perhaps you can make a goal of doing just doing a handful per day and slowly working up to doing more? Don't forget that other types of exercises are good to, from things like walking, jogging, biking, swimming to sit-ups, push ups and all other exercises that focus on toning your muscles. If you are struggling though, it may be good to talk to your doctor for a health check up and to see what they can recommend.

HelpLINK Mentor ~HelpLINK Moderator~Forum Moderator ~Live Help access
Feel free to PM me! Even if I canít help, Iím always going to listen <3

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Thirtythree Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: L.

Re: Trying to be Healthier - April 19th 2017, 01:49 PM

For excercising, just stick to it. It's always awkward and uncomfortable in the beginning, but just keep doing it, and you'll slowly see your body growing accustomed to the movements and struggles it's put through.

The more important thing to remember though is that what you want is to make your body stronger and healthier. What you do NOT want is seriously hurting yourself. Let your body rest for a day or two between workout sessions.

The risk I took was calculated, but boy, am I bad at math.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Poison.ivy Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: jess

Re: Trying to be Healthier - April 20th 2017, 05:31 AM

First of all, my family isn't doing well with money either, so I definitely know how you feel about not having much healthy food in the house. Have you tried talking to them about buying healthier food though? The thing is that the whole "healthy food is more expensive" thing is kind of a myth. I don't know exact prices of food and stuff as I don't really go grocery shopping myself. However, my PE teacher once explained to me that if my parents didn't buy three bags of chips every week, they could use that money to buy vegetables instead. So maybe healthy food is more expensive, but try to see and talk to your parents about possibly substituting buying unhealthy items and instead buying healthier options.

As far as being disgusted, there are so many ways to eat vegetables, and so many different ways to season them and cook them. I'm sure with experimentation you could find what you like. And sometimes you just have to force yourself to eat it, honestly.

For exercising, I cannot stress this enough: yes, keep sticking it out. You feel sluggish because you don't exercise regularly, so once you start working out regularly you will become much more active not only in the body but in your attitude towards working out.
Don't get down on yourself for not being able to do pushups. I've been working out seriously for about two years, and pushups still aren't my forte. Just do knee-pushups and lift weights until you build up enough muscle to do regular pushups. Before you know it, you'll be able to do 20 easily.
If you don't have weights to lift, I've heard that people use canned food and stuff instead.

"You never know how STRONG you are
until being strong is
your only choice."
-Bob Marley

follow me on instagram

(#5 (permalink)) Old
aguy Offline
What the Twotch

Senior TeenHelper

Name: Tortellini

Re: Trying to be Healthier - April 20th 2017, 06:29 AM

Hey I'm sorry to hear you arent able to eat healthy. However its great that you are trying to get healthier!
About excercise, the best thing is to stick it out. If you can't run much, start slow. Build it up gradually.
Basic excercises help a lot. EG: since you mentioned you can't do a pushup, do it on your knees, or standing against a wall. Slowly build your strength.
If you google basic easy body weight workouts, you find heaps you can use; and then see what works for you
best of luck!

PM me if you ever wanna talk. Send a message my way.
And remember, you matter. You're awesome. You're beautiful. Stay strong, the world will get better.

Closed Thread