TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Lionheart Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Oliver

Question Is it necessary to go to a gynecologist? - June 7th 2017, 08:55 PM

Ok, this might be a weird question but whatever.
I'm physicaly female and I've never in my live seen a gynecologist. I thought it wasn't necessary as I don't have sex and never ever plan to use my reproductive system. But about half a year ago a friend pointed out to me, that you have to go for check ups regularly (like every second year) as they also check for some forms of cancer and other disease.
I looked it up on the internet and it basicly said the same. That you should get checked out even if its just once.
Now I know I should go, but theres no way in hell I will let anyone do a physical examination on me that requires more than removing my top!
And if I don't alow that I guess there is no point in even going there as the important check ups require that.

Thats basicly the conclusion I got two month ago but lately I've been worring again. Because cancer definitely is dangerous and important to make sure I don't have it or some other weird disease.
It's kind of freaking me out, so I wanted to ask you how important you think it is, to let a gynecologist check me up. Even if its just a once in a lifetime thing.

It's ok to give in to an urge or make a mistake. You are only human and we all have our flaws. We all have our weak moments and we all make mistakes. Thats what makes us human.
Thats what makes us unique and beautiful

Courage isn't always a loud roar. Sometimes it is a quiet whisper at the end of a day saying: Tomorrow I will try it again!

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: Is it necessary to go to a gynecologist? - June 7th 2017, 09:51 PM

I just saw my primary care a few months ago and she told me that pelvic exams aren't necessary until you are sexually active. I was referred to a gynecologist after my period never regulated itself, but it eventually did and I never went. I suppose it wouldn't help to consult with one to see if you need an exam or not and what exactly it would involve.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#3 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Is it necessary to go to a gynecologist? - June 8th 2017, 01:27 AM

If you aren't sexually active you don't have to have exams as often. I talked to my doctor about it when I wasn't sexually active and she said that they changed the requirements to something like having one every two years instead of every year.

Also, I know if you aren't sexually active you don't, technically, have to have one right at 18.

So, yes, it is good to get checked but it is unlikely that you will need to go as often.

And, you don't have to get the exam through a gynecologist. In most cases a general practitioner has the tools to do everything. I didn't start going to a gynecologist until I wanted to go on birth control and was having an issue with finding one that would work for me.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Melancholia. Offline
Devil Dez

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Re: Is it necessary to go to a gynecologist? - June 9th 2017, 02:01 AM

I mainly started going to a GYN because I was switching from a pediatrician to a primary care doctor soon and since I was in between doctors, I wouldn't have anyone to administer my birth control. I also wanted to get opinions from someone whose specialty is gynecology because I was looking to switch methods.

I actually am not sexually active and just on birth control for other reasons so she didn't make me do an internal, but she did look at the external parts and did a breast exam. She said that normally as far as pap smears go you don't need one until you're either sexually active or until you turn 21. That's how they test for things such as cervical cancer. Besides that she hasn't done anything too extreme with me except had to do a swab when I was having a problem.

Long story short I'd go every now and then to get a checkup but as what was said above they may not make you go as often as someone who is on birth control or sexually active. If you are nervous or worrying about the exam I'd talk to them because they can probably tell you exactly what they will do and try and reassure you. If it makes you more comfortable you can have a nurse in there with you or a trusted person.

Let it come and let it be...

Send a message via Yahoo to Melancholia.  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Eternal Offline
Lead Moderator

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Nicole

Re: Is it necessary to go to a gynecologist? - June 9th 2017, 05:22 AM

I didn't get my first one until I turned 21 despite being sexually active before that. I think it depends on the doctor in regards to when you get your first one. I do think it is important to go at least every couple of years as they do test for things like cancer. It doesn't hurt to have it done, but I will say it is a little uncomfortable and I definitely felt pretty awkward during the exam. However, it's a lot better getting that 5 minutes over with than risking having an undiagnosed problem down there.

And here you are living, despite it all.
Lead Moderator | Disputes Committee | HelpLINK Mentor

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Voldermorts Stalker

I can't get enough

Re: Is it necessary to go to a gynecologist? - June 10th 2017, 09:18 PM

My DR's have like been trying to get me to see one but I simply tell them 'I'm not sexually active I dont really have a need to see one nor do I have any concerns about that area' I'm 26 and havent seen one.

BADGER BADGER BADGER.........MUSHROOM!!!
Videos team
, articles team and helplink mentor and associate live help operator.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Lionheart Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Oliver

Re: Is it necessary to go to a gynecologist? - June 12th 2017, 06:05 PM

Thanks everyone Your responses helped a lot! I definitely am not as worried anymore!
I guess I'll make an appointment this year or maybe next year for one check up, just to be on the save side and thats it. No follow ups or something.

It's ok to give in to an urge or make a mistake. You are only human and we all have our flaws. We all have our weak moments and we all make mistakes. Thats what makes us human.
Thats what makes us unique and beautiful

Courage isn't always a loud roar. Sometimes it is a quiet whisper at the end of a day saying: Tomorrow I will try it again!

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Oh, Bother Offline
Music Lover

Outside, huh?

Name: Frankie<3

Re: Is it necessary to go to a gynecologist? - June 12th 2017, 08:20 PM

Just because you aren't sexually active doesn't mean you don't need a exam. Once you turn eight you are required to get one even if your not sexually active. I had mine at 21 because of my period missing. And I have had one since then. I honestly didn't want to go at all because of my abuse. But is necessary. And I am surprised your regular doctor hasn't told you that you have to go. I suggest you make an appointment as soon as possible.

"Don't walk behind me; I may not lead.
Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow.
Just walk beside me and be my friend"
|Member 2007||Senior Community Mentor||Social Media Guru||Resource & Newsletter Editor||Writer||Chat Mod|
|Forum Mod: LGBT, Sexuality and gender identity, Eating Disorders, Self-Harm, Peer Pressure and Bullying, Disability|
|PM/VM|

Closed Thread