TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
~Radio Flyer~ Offline
Please call that story back.

I've been here a while

Name: Violet

Is it safe to eat? - June 17th 2017, 03:12 PM

This thread has been labeled as triggering by the original poster or by a Moderator. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

I was cooking pasta, I used two packages. I let the water boil. Thrn poured one psckage. I'm not used to this package and didn't realize if had one of those "do not eat" silicon gel things. I quickly take it out. Thrn I take the one out of the second package and pour it in eith the first one.

I thrn get very anxious about this whole thing. I know I should've cooked thrm separately given that the second package was untouched before. But I mix them. Thrn freak out and I got myself to tell my dad even thoigh we are nog on good terms. He gets angry at me and we argue and I cry and go to my room. He says it isn't safe to eat. All my sisters know anout what happened and we're talking about me and it's been a mess. I read online that silicon being boiled is safe. But I'm getting mixed opinions online. Some people say that all it does is absorb moisture and thats why it is unsafe to consume but my family is saying I poisoned the food. I obviously don't want to hurt them and didn't do ig on purpose. It took everything in me to even tell my dad what happened even thoigh I was scared to because of our arguments and how the whole family hates me. But now they hate me even more

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly

Re: Is it safe to eat? - June 17th 2017, 05:10 PM

Was the silicone gel opened or broken in any way? If it was, then I would be hesitant about eating anything, just in case. But if the gel was intact and it wasn't in the pasta very long then I see no reason why it wouldn't be safe to eat.

I know it took a lot of courage to tell your dad about what happened, and despite what they may say, it was an accident, and you obviously don't want to hurt them. It's good to get advice online, but I'm also wondering whether calling poison control might help more? They are probably used to issues regarding silicone gel and may be able to reassure you.

HelpLINK and Live Help Officer
Feel free to PM me! Even if I canít help, Iím always going to listen <3
SKITTLIFY!

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
~Radio Flyer~ Offline

I've been here a while

Re: Is it safe to eat? - June 17th 2017, 05:43 PM

I saw on the poison control website that it is safe and that it says don't eat becsuse of the choking hazard and there's a number to ask questions.

It was not opened when it slipped into the water and got boiled along and I scooped it out as soon as I saw it. It took maybe 45 seconds for me to clean a spoon and scoop it. And the gel package was still closed when i got it out.

Edit-I guess it is fine because I ate from it after all the arguing. I was so upset and had a "I don't care what happens, it is better than this enotional pain" feeling I was expecting some symptoms but there are none. So I guess I'm fine in that regards.

They're still talking about me. And I really wish I wasn't here

Last edited by ~Radio Flyer~; June 17th 2017 at 06:03 PM.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Re: Is it safe to eat? - June 17th 2017, 10:53 PM

If it wasn't opened, then it should be okay. And you are right that the main concern does seem to be with the gel being a chocking hazard. Though it's always good to watch in case any symptoms do occur. But if some time has passed, then you are likely fine.

I'm sorry that your family are still talking about you. It's not your fault seeing as you didn't know the gel would be in the packaging. I'm sure it could've happened to anyone else in the family if they weren't aware the gel would've been in there!

Hope you are okay

SKITTLIFY!

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
~Radio Flyer~ Offline

I've been here a while

Re: Is it safe to eat? - June 18th 2017, 12:33 PM

Thank you Holly

Nothing happened so seems like it was fine to eat the pasta afterall.

The arguing moved away from the original topic. It was a mess. I shouldve let them talk instead of try to gsin their aporoval. Idk....

This thread can be closed as the issue had been resolved regarding the original topic of the pasta

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Re: Is it safe to eat? - June 18th 2017, 07:35 PM

I'll go ahead and close the thread. PM me if you want to re-open it.

SKITTLIFY!

Closed Thread