TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Sex and Puberty For questions related to sex, puberty, birth control and sexual health, ask here!

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
LittleLight Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Blushies

Points: 5,663, Level: 11 Points: 5,663, Level: 11 Points: 5,663, Level: 11

Lightbulb Hey so how does safe sex work for lesbians? - August 5th 2017, 07:28 PM

This thread has been labeled as non-PG13 by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for younger users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

Hey so to start off I'm 15~ I'm bi sexual and I'm homeschooled (yes this is important to the conversation)
And I'm more of the side of liking women and since I'm of that age when you start learning about this stuff I've started learning about heterosexual safety! (like condoms and birth control and such) it's quite interesting

But I've been wondering for future reference if I had a female partner how would that work? In terms of STDs not in how would we have sex

And I would ask a teacher but my teacher is.. my mom.. who's straight.. I don't know how much she'd know about this subject and I don't really feel comfortable asking in the first place >~<

Well if anyone knows about this subject it would be awesome to find out thanks~

A heart without dreams is like a bird without feathers
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount69

Edit avatar

Re: Hey so how does safe sex work for lesbians? - August 5th 2017, 08:18 PM

I am not a lesbian but some of the things I have picked up from friends who are were:

• Using a barrier when having oral sex such as a dental dam. I believe back in sex ed (like 12 years ago) the instructor said that some people use condoms that are slit open in place of a dental dam. However, I am not sure if this is something that should be done so hopefully someone can come along.
  • Wash your hands before fingering your partner. There are articles online that discuss using gloves while fingering but I don't know a lot of people who do this. But, washing hands is actually kind of important.
  • Some people will put condoms on their sex toys and changing the condom after every use.
  • Cleaning the sex toys after you use them.
I don't know if there are more comprehensive things you can do and if there are hopefully someone will come along and share or even amend any mistakes I might have made.

Best of luck and I am glad you are looking for information on how to stay safe if you are ever in a situation where you will be having sex.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount71

Edit avatar

Re: Hey so how does safe sex work for lesbians? - August 5th 2017, 09:05 PM

Safe sex for lesbians includes the following:

- Using dental dams for oral sex. You can also split a condom in half, but make sure it's one without spermicide. In addition, you can use saran wrap, which serves as a barrier to everything but HIV.
- Wearing nitrile gloves (in case of a latex allergy). Make sure you wash your hands beforehand and that your nails are short and trimmed. Trust me; it's not fun to get scratched down there.
- I highly recommend using condoms on your sexy toys, especially anything insertable, with every use and washing them between uses. Be sure you follow the instructions on how to properly clean your sex toys.
- And, always, communicate clearly with your partner. Remember that lesbians CAN still get STIs. Although it happens more infrequently than it does with people having heterosexual sex. Remember to get tested each year during a wellness exam.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
LittleLight Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Hey so how does safe sex work for lesbians? - August 5th 2017, 09:52 PM

Okay so for an example why would me and my lady partner use a dental dam when most heterosexual couples don't is there any specific reason or just they should and they don't? Thank you so much I'm learning a lot

(#5 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount71

Edit avatar

Re: Hey so how does safe sex work for lesbians? - August 5th 2017, 10:16 PM

Heterosexual couples sometimes do use condoms for oral sex, hence the existence of flavored condoms. It's all about what couples involved want, which is why there needs to be clear communication about safety preferences before sex.
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount69

Edit avatar

Re: Hey so how does safe sex work for lesbians? - August 5th 2017, 10:17 PM

Heterosexuals should use dental dams and they don't. A lot of people don't practice the proper safety.

It's also suggested that people who get STD tests before having sex but a whole lot of people don't.

Some people in monogamous relationships will also make the choice to move from practicing safe sex such as using dental dams and condoms. However, there are people who feel that even if you are in a monogamous relationship you should still practice safe sex because you can never truly know if your partner is being faithful or something along those lines.
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
LittleLight Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Hey so how does safe sex work for lesbians? - August 5th 2017, 11:11 PM

Oh okay thank you very very much! I appreciate everything~

Closed Thread