TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Voldermorts Stalker

I can't get enough

Not loosing weight? - July 9th 2017, 04:57 PM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of eating disorders, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

Basically recently I've not like been eating properly - mum keeps like calling me fat..... and keeps like telling me I need to loose weight... so I've been dieting hardly eating and restricting and exercising alot. [Edited] whats going wrong? like im within the healthy range for my weight and BMI but I'm not exactly in the middle of it or the lower part of it - I'm more towards the bit where your in yellow which like means I'm overweight - if my BMI goes up anymore.... the thing everyone tells me I'm not fat. I look in the mirror and just see fat.... I'm dieting/restricting , exercising and drinking water and cups of tea through out the day I've like cut out bread, [Edited]... stuff that should make me loose weight... I've not gained weight... but I've not like lost weight either.... where am I going wrong?

BADGER BADGER BADGER.........MUSHROOM!!!
Videos team
, articles team and helplink mentor and associate live help operator.

Last edited by Celyn; July 10th 2017 at 07:11 PM. Reason: Food diaries are against the CoC

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Thing Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Not loosing weight? - July 9th 2017, 10:40 PM

I'm not entirely sure why you aren't gaining or losing weight, but I can tell you that if you keep eating very little, your metabolism will slow down and will cause you to gain weight in the long run. Eating food gives you energy, and in an effort to store energy when you eat very little, your body will hold on to fat and cause you to gain weight.

This is one reason why you shouldn't starve yourself or eat very little-you won't lose weight, but gain it. It also isn't very healthy either, and doesn't really benefit you. If you want to lose weight, you need to eat 3 meals a day. Make sure you drink water and eat vegetables, too. Excersising is a healthy way to help lose weight, but don't push yourself too hard or overdo it. I would suggest to eat a little more food each day until you are eating 3 full meals a day again.

I will say that you shouldn't try to lose weight just because your mother keeps calling you fat. It may be hurtful, but you should do what you think you should do, and not let others persuade you to do something, especially if it affects you. Unless your mother is a doctor, she cannot really determine if you need to lose weight. You may see fat in the mirror, but we all have some fat on our bodies. I'm sure that you're a very beautiful person! After all, you stated that people say that you're not fat. You're in a good range for your weight and BMI, so I don't think you're required to lose weight. It's fine to lose some weight if you want to, but don't take it to the extremes. Perhaps you should talk to your mother about the situation and speak to your doctor about your weight, and discuss healthy ways to lose weight. You should also research healthy ways to lose weight and good exercises you can do to help. If this has been going on for a while or if you have gone through this or a similar event before, you should probably see a counselor.
Please stay strong and eat healthy! You're a great person and deserve the best!

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Voldermorts Stalker

I can't get enough

Re: Not loosing weight? - July 9th 2017, 11:19 PM

I have extreme dieted in the past... part of the problem is mums promised me if I loose weight she will like take me bird watching in the lake district which something i like reallly want to do and have been asking to do for ages... she knows what buttons to push etc....

Videos team

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Thing Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Not loosing weight? - July 9th 2017, 11:43 PM

Is it possible that you could go bird watching by yourself or with other people, such as other family members or friends? You should have a discussion with your mother and your doctor about whether or not you need to actually lose weight. From what you said earlier about having a healthy BMI and weight range, I wouldn't think you need to. You should also tell your mother if you actually want to lose weight or not, and tell her about how you feel. Your mother really shouldn't make you lose weight, especially if you don't need to and if you don't want to. Could you perhaps make a different deal with your mother in order to go to the Lake District? For example, you could pay her for taking you or help her do chores. I'm not a professional in any way, but it wouldn't hurt to speak to a counselor to end the cycle of extreme dieting, and help you get back to eating healthily and normally. They could also help you sort things out with your mother, too. Remember that you are a beautiful and healthy person, and that you should do what you want. If you want to lose weight, you can, but don't take it to the extremes, and do it safely.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Jess~ Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: jess

Re: Not loosing weight? - July 10th 2017, 12:55 AM

Okay well your mom should probably screw off, for lack of a better term. Your body and your weight is yours for a reason, and nobody should decide whether you need to lose or gain weight besides you. (And your doctor, of course. If you are underweight or overweight, there are health risks and that would be a reason that you should lose or gain weight.)

Let me start with the whole BMI thing. That calculator is a complete joke. It might be great for the very average human being, but here's the catch -- nobody is really "very average". We all have different body types and shapes and places we store fat and ability to gain muscle... that BMI calculator does not take any of those things into consideration. It simply tells you if, by your weight and height, you are "average and healthy" or not.
There's a common misconception that "muscle weighs more than fat", which isn't exactly true. A pound is a pound. However, a pound of muscle takes up a LOT less space than a pound of fat does. Say you and another person weighed the exact same amount and were the exact same height. However, say the other person was obese, with a lot of fat on their body, while you were physically fit, but had a lot of muscle. Even though you two weigh the exact same amount, you, with more muscle, would look leaner and more fit than the person with more fat. More importantly, you would not be obese while that other person was obese, simply because of the fat-muscle ratio thing. Make sense?
That being said, the BMI calculator would tell you both that you are overweight, simply because your weight and height are "disproportionate".
That's basically the long and complicated way of saying the BMI calculator should not be what you go to in order to see if you are overweight.

For example... I am very active, I eat right, and I gain muscle fairly easily. I definitely do not look overweight. The BMI calculator, however, says that I am overweight.
That's also why the number on the scale shouldn't matter when trying to see if you are "overweight". After I started lifting, gaining muscle, and losing fat... I actually gained weight. But physically, I look a lot more fit.

Rather than rely on your BMI or your weight, you should rely on individual measurements and physical changes. A Body Fat Percentage calculator can also help to target specifically how much fat you have, instead of overall mass. However, since you seem a bit dysmorphic about looking in the mirror and seeing "fat" already, I don't know if you should start checking this right away. Or perhaps it could help, because my guess is that you really aren't fat at all. Maybe seeing the actual number would help?
But even that calculator isn't perfect. The best method is just to measure your waist, biceps, hips, etc. once a month and keep track of that progress.

When I was younger I was right about where you say you are... just a little too close for comfort to the "overweight" yellow area. That used to tear me up and I spent days not eating and working myself out until exhaustion, just to try and get in the middle of the green zone.

Starving and over-working ourselves seems the be the "go-to" solution when we get desperate. In our brains, we think that it makes the most sense... not eating will mean no more gaining weight, and extreme working out will make us lose the current weight in no time, right?
Unfortunately, that's probably the worst way anyone could go about losing weight. Like Thing said, not eating actually does make you gain weight.

When you don't eat for hours on end, your body goes into "survival mode" because it thinks it won't eat for a long time. So when you finally do eat, your body makes the most of that meal and takes all the fat and carbs from it and stores it to save energy for later... long term. Which means you put on that weight.
Have you ever heard of those fitness people eating like 6-7 meals a day? That's because eating more smaller meals a day is actually a LOT better for you than eating 3 or even less than 3 big meals a day.

For that reason, you don't need to cut out snacks. In fact, when working to lose weight and become more fit, snacks can be your best friend, so long as they are healthy snacks. Vegetables and fruit combined with other things can make the perfect snack in between meals. Celery or apples with peanut butter is an easy and quick one. You can also eat a handful of nuts or even a protein bar.

Also, don't diet. Dieting is temporary. Just make better choices with what you eat, everything in moderation. That's one of the best things I learned from my PE teacher. You can be healthy and fit and still have all the things you love -- just in moderation. Of course you can't eat chocolate cake every day, but you could have a brownie every so often. There's not a food that magically makes you fat (and unfortunately not one that magically makes you lose weight either.) It's eating too much of that food that does that.
Even Instagram fitness models go out to eat. They have their bad days. Their cheat meals. And they forgive themselves and get back on track the next day.

For exercise, whenever I want to lose weight, I work on doing HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training). There are hundreds of Youtube videos with HIIT that I definitely recommend looking into. You can also just do any intense workout that gets your heart pumping, like sprints on the treadmill or burpees. Constant cardio, like a 30 minute jog, is okay. But HIIT exercises are better. I've heard something once where like 10 minutes of HIIT will burn the same amount of calories as 30 minutes of cardio.

Fitness is so much more than strict rules and torturing yourself. It's about a relationship between your body and your mind, and learning to control yourself, forgive yourself, and love yourself.

i don't know what i'm supposed to do
haunted by the ghost of you

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Not loosing weight? - July 10th 2017, 02:08 AM

What you're mom is doing to you is really cruel, to be honest. She might not realize it, you might not realize it either, but she's being manipulative and mean. You said yourself your weight is within a healthy range, yet she's telling you you're fat. Sure, you might not be skin and bones but the world isn't divided into people who are supermodel thin and people who are fat. Not to mention that you're mom is literally denying you things you want to do (e.g. seeing birds) unless you lose weight for a "condition" you don't even need to alleviate because it doesn't sound like you have a weight problem to be worried about.

Plus, to be honest, speaking as someone who is both legitimately overweight and has dealt with disordered thinking around my body, restricting your diet like that isn't going to work. Your body thinks it needs to keep any amount of fat it does have to use as energy. I know it's hard, but starving yourself doesn't help, it just hurts your body and affects your mental health even further. A decent amount of food, exercise, and generally being healthy is better for you and also is going to be more sustainable and healthier and will help you maintain a healthy weight.

I know how hard it is ok, but please please please know that even if you really are overweight (and you logically know you're not because you said so), no one gets to bully you into changing that, you have to try to take care of yourself because you're beautiful no matter what the scale says and your body deserves it.

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Voldermorts Stalker

I can't get enough

Re: Not loosing weight? - July 16th 2017, 11:36 PM

My mum is still telling me I'm fat I've niether gained nor lost weight... ive stayed the same... I've found a gym in my local area that does boxing and weight training so I'm like going to try and get in to the gym as it doesnt charge much for use of the gym and see if they can like help me as they do personal training etc. I mainly want to get involved with the boxing side of things as I already do karate etc.

Videos team

Closed Thread