TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Chaotic_ Offline
Average Joe

Name: Cass

Dental Infection. - August 12th 2017, 05:08 PM

So I have a tooth infection.
My dentist put me on antibiotics and wants to pull my tooth out.
Can anybody explain the process to me because I'm a little worried.
I've avoided the dentists for years but this tooth started hurting and there's not much left of it.
He said that he can get it out really quick and was understanding of my anxiety.

I'm just worried about how bad it's going to hurt, having a panic attack during him extracting it and having a huge hole in my mouth for two weeks while it heals.

I'm also concerned because friend said that the infection can get into my bloodstream and it could kill me.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Lexify. Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Lexi.

Re: Dental Infection. - August 12th 2017, 06:27 PM

Hey! I've had multiple teeth pulled (in order to make space for braces) and it's not that bad. I've had all of my teeth pulled with just local anesthetic except one which needed laughing gas. They will numb your mouth with the local anesthetic and then when it's numb (they will test to make sure and if it hurts you can let them know and they will stop and use more local anesthetic). My dentist used this cream to numb where he was going to inject the local anesthetic and then he will inject it. For me it was like a pinch and it does feel funny but that's the worst pain! They then will loosen the tooth and extract it. It does feel funny but it doesn't hurt. My dentist has tv's that I can watch so it distracts me or sometimes will let me listen to music instead.

After it's over, you'll have a gauze pad (most likely) to bite on for about 4 hours (that's what my dentist did, yours might be different) and it's important to change it before it soaked with blood. You want to limit your exercise for a few days (I was told no swinging, jumping, flipping, running, etc). I was also told to avoid drinking with a straw, rinsing or spitting out hard so i wouldn't dislove the blood clot.
My dentist said that I might need painkillers but it depends on your pain tolerance because I didn't need it.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Dental Infection. - August 12th 2017, 06:29 PM

Hey,

Firstly, the dentist gave you the antibiotics because he did not want the infection to get worse. Now that you are on antibiotics it is unlikely that the infection will get worse as long as you take the medication properly (finish the medication completely).

As for the extracting process, different dentists do it differently. I know some dentists will knock the patient out but a lot of other dentists will just numb the patient. My boyfriend recently got two teeth extracted. If they are going to numb you for the procedure that stuff works great. You will not feel anything and your doctor will make sure that you are numb enough. That being said, you won't have a hole in your mouth. I don't know how it works exactly but basically blood clots will form and somehow that makes there not be a huge whole in your mouth.

After the extraction you will probably be in pain for a few days. My boyfriend got two teeth pulled and was in pain for about three days and then after that the pain was pretty minimal. The dentist will likely give you some pain medication (so if there are certain pain meds you can't tolerate let him know) and he might give you another round of antibiotics.

You will have rules to follow for a while after surgery. One of the biggest ones is usually not to drink with a straw. It does something to the blood clots. Some of the other rules will be to avoid eating hot food for a certain amount of time. Your dentist or his aid/hygenest will explain this to you and will probably give you some paperwork with the directions.

The process also shouldn't take that long. It might have taken my boyfriend an hour total to get into the dentist and then get the procedure done. If they knock you out though it might take a tab bit longer.

Best of luck.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

Closed Thread