TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
~Radio Flyer~ Offline
Please call that story back.

I've been here a while

Name: Violet

Still in pain - August 13th 2017, 05:14 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering by the original poster or by a Moderator. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

Just putting the trigger label because it mentions a car accident.

So in April I was in a car accident situation.

Long story short is that my left foot is still in pain.
I did go to urgent care to check my foot after a few weeks and an x-ray was done and all it was, was a "contrusion" which is also known as also "deep bruise"

I was given painkillers. I don't believe in taking painkillers though so I haven't taken it. I still get pain shooting up my foot. It is a dull psin though. I can tolerate it for the most part but it is pretty constant but the intensity of it is what fluctuates.
I think it gets worse when I think about it but I also can't control when it pops into my head...kinda intrusively

But also sometimes my whole body aches and my foot pain kinda gets evened out with the rest of my body. And sometimes it feels a bit of a lingering wffect, while other times it is sharp
Don't know what to do.

Last time I went to urgent care and was asked how I got the pain, and telling the story briefly, mentioning the word car, made the receptionist conclude this was a car accident and had me full out paperwork saying I'm 100% responsible for paying for my medical coverage and my insurance isn't going to cover it.

I was not the driver in this scenario. I don't have a car, I can't drive etc. I believe I'm considered a pedestrian but possibly a passenger, it is ambiguous how it happened. But I didn't report it. Ithe was my friend's mom and at the time I told her and my friend that I was fine.

If I did report it, she would have to pay for medical expenses but because I didnt, I have to pay it. And that's stopping me from returning to urgent care or even telling my pcp.

Not sure what to do really.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
del677 Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Still in pain - August 13th 2017, 10:10 AM

Pain can be a tricky thing.

Typically, pain initially means there's something wrong with your body that you need to take care of.

What can happen though, is the body heals itself, so the body is fine; however, the pain can linger for no good reason, and it can become worse, and the patient ends up with a "chronic pain" where they hurt like hell for no good reason.

It feels like there's definitely something wrong with their body, but a doctor assures them their body is fully healed and there's nothing wrong with their body. -- except they are feeling excruciating pain, for no reason.

What can happen is if the original pain was severe, or if the event was traumatic, or if the original pain lingered on for a long time, the brain can decide this is important, it should pay more attention to this area of the body, and it decides to register a much higher than normal pain in response to any nerve signals coming from that part of the body. You can just touch the person, and they report it's like being hit by a freight train, and they report the pain is "on fire", and they may even end up going to the hospital for a shot of Torodol to "put out the fire".

What happens is the brain literally rewires itself to make it more sensitive to pain from that part of the body. The brain does such a good job of this the pain can actually start to spread, or travel. It's not happening to the body, it's happening in the brain, where the pain in the brain's map of the body is spreading.

The secret is, a patient who fully understands this can use their brain to rewire their brain and unwire the pain so it goes away. They have to be convinced this can be done, that there really isn't anything wrong with their body, other than it's in great pain, but it shouldn't be in great pain. That's when they can purposely ignore the pain and force themselves to think of something else whenever they have a bout of pain. Visualizing something is a good tactic, as frequently visualizing something in the brain eventually convinces the brain it needs more real estate for visualizing things, and it'll take over what's nearby, which happens to be the part of the brain creating all this pain. Visualize things in your mind, and the brain eventually commandeers the part of the brain processing the pain and starts using it for visualizing things instead. The side effect of this is, the pain goes away and the patient is cured. It takes about 2 weeks before you'll notice any change. Then it takes about 4 months to fully cure a very debilitating chronic pain that the patient has suffered for years. All it takes is 4 months and a lot of perseverance.

There's a website by Prof Paul Hansma, http://hansmalab.physics.ucsb.edu/ where he talks about this. There's also a book by Dr. Norman Doidge, The Brain's Way of Healing, and chapter 1 of that book describes how to cure chronic pain.

The hard part is determining if there really is something wrong with your body, or if it's just a chronic pain issue and there's really nothing wrong with your body. The pain is very real in both cases.

Small amounts of pain medication can be helpful. Large amounts of pain medication taken constantly over a long period of time is usually disastrous. The person becomes addicted to the pain medication, the brain starts compensating for the pain medication and becomes even more sensitive to pain, the patient increases their pain medication, the brain compensates and becomes even more sensitive to pain, and the whole thing spirals out of control, until the patient is taking massive amounts of pain medication, and they are in massive pain!

On the other hand, a small amount of pain medication for a temporary amount of time may help one to relax and believe there really isn't anything wrong with them and convince them and their brain they shouldn't be feeling any pain and the pain may decrease permanently. It's just a tricky thing to not get carried away. I think two weeks is OK. Consult a doctor.

Best wishes. I hope you feel better!

Find out if the driver has insurance. If they have insurance then you're in a good position, especially if it's a good company. If the bill is under $5,000 they usually don't bat an eye as that's such a trivial amount to them they just pay it. The insurance might be really good insurance where it doesn't even matter if the driver was at fault, you may be covered no matter who's fault it was. This is both if you were a passenger in their car, or got hit by their car. If the driver doesn't want to file an insurance claim, afraid their rates will go up, then they can negotiate with you and just pay cash for your doctor visit. Often a simple solution if it's under $1,000.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
~Radio Flyer~ Offline
Please call that story back.

I've been here a while

Name: Violet

Re: Still in pain - August 23rd 2017, 01:11 PM

Thank you Del,
This is really thorough and I did look through the link.
They do have car insurance but she doesn't want the price to go up. I later found out her car gets damaged pretty frequently and I don't know if that has to do with the quality of her driving or if things like that just happen to everyone. I Wouldn't Know, I don't have a car.

Closed Thread