TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Ikigai Offline
la razón de vivir en japonés
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Sue

Aching knee - October 13th 2017, 02:31 PM

Hello everyone.
I went ice skating yesterday (as I do twice a week usually). It was in the evening, so I didn't really feel anything that day. However, since when I got up today my right knee has been aching. I haven't fallen nor hit myself, so that's definitely not an injury. I believe it has to be simply strained; what's surprising though, is that I regularly skate and the knee started to ache all of a sudden.
I twisted my ankle three years ago and it still hurts sometimes because it hadn't healed properly back then. I don't want my knee to hurt as well.
I really need the pain to go away as soon as possible (telling my mum is not an option because she wouldn't allow me to skate). And I have to be in a perfect shape throughout winter, I've been waiting for the ice skating season for so long!
Any ideas how to make the pain go away? Some ointments or something?
Thank you,
Sue

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Golfing girl Offline
Be Creative. Always Dance.

I've been here a while

Name: Emma

Re: Aching knee - October 13th 2017, 07:59 PM

Hi, I'm sorry that you are having a hard time with this. When you are doing something that you enjoy and you have some kind of pain in you're body it's hard to enjoy what you're doing and keep going. When you come home from ice skating and you're knees are hurting can you put ice or heat on it to help. Also if you can go to the store and you can get, Aspercreme, biofreeze, tiger balm, mineral ice, muscle cream, if you like Icyhot you can suse that too. You can also take, ibuprofen, Tylenol, for them hurting as well. I have used Aspercreme and biofreeze when I have been hurt before and they have helped me out, I hope it does too for you.

I understand that you don't want to tell you're mom about this because she will not let you do this anymore. Please take care of yourself, and I hope that you are able to find something that will help you take away the pain that you are in and that you will be able to keep doing what you enjoy. Hugs.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly

Re: Aching knee - October 14th 2017, 09:42 AM

Heat can help with muscle strains, so perhaps try a cream like deepheat, or use a hot water bottle on your knee. If your knee is swollen, then it would be better to use an ice pack (or make ice cubes and wrap them in a towel) and maybe to bandage the knee as well. Be sure to spend some time resting, but also to continue gently exercising as well. And maybe look into some warming up and cooling down exercises before and after exercise.

I know that you love to skate and wouldn't want to stop, but remember that not treating injuries can make things worse in the long run. So if you notice that your knee isn't getting better or is getting worse, then tell your mom and get it checked out with a doctor.

HelpLINK and Live Help Officer
Feel free to PM me! Even if I can’t help, I’m always going to listen <3
SKITTLIFY!

(#4 (permalink)) Old
TheAtomicBlade Offline
Resident Sith
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Tortellini

Re: Aching knee - October 15th 2017, 09:19 AM

For strains best thing is to heat and ice alternatively. Also rest. Further you may need to meet a doctor if it doesn't ease up.
Not ideal but that's the sad truth. If it's just a case of strain I'd recommend taking a few days off skating and just resting

PM me if you ever wanna talk. Send a message my way.
And remember, you matter. You're awesome. You're beautiful. Stay strong, the world will get better.

May The Force be With You.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Ikigai Offline
la razón de vivir en japonés
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Sue

Re: Aching knee - October 15th 2017, 09:36 AM

Thank you all for your replies

Closed Thread