TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Nika_714 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Nika

Do I need to lose weight??? - November 7th 2017, 06:14 AM

I always feel fat but I don't know why. I don't know what is wrong with me... I am so tired of trying to lose weight, eating very little, doing hours of workouts a day and stuff like that... But I can't stop because I'm afraid that if I do stop I'm going to get even more fat and ugly. Why can't I lose weight? I tried everything... Eating healthy, working out, drinking more water, eating little, going on walks, ect... Nothing works. It's been almost two years now but I still can't be happy with my body.

I am [Edited] (I've been told that that is mostly my heavy bones, is that possible?) and I am 5'7. Is that a good weight? I think that's way too much but people say that if I lose any more weight I'm going to be too skinny. The most hardest part for me are my legs though... The rest of my body is fine I guess but I have thick thighs... Is that bad?

But really I don't know how I should look. I don't know how to look for guys to like me. I don't know how to build up my self confidence, and I really want to start loving myself... But whenever I look at myself next to other girls at school I feel so ugly next to them.... And that really brings me down. How can I take care of my body and make it look better? How can I be confident and start loving me for me? How can I overcome all those girls that look like models that make me feel ugly? Am I fat? Do I need to lose weight?

Last edited by Celyn; November 7th 2017 at 09:42 AM. Reason: Weight numbers are against the Code of Conduct

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly

Re: Do I need to lose weight??? - November 7th 2017, 05:48 PM

Hey there,

We can't tell you whether or not you need to lose weight, so your best option would be to consult with a doctor.

It can help to separate your feelings with your weight from your body. Losing weight should be about being healthy, and not exclusively linked with appearance. This can be a good place to start with accepting your body, rather than feeling like you need to change your body in some way.

If you want to lose weight, you should aim to do this in a healthy way. While it can help to create a deficit in calories and to exercise more, it shouldn't mean that you have to eat very little. You also don't need to be doing hours of workouts either- about an hour of exercise a day is sufficient. You can check out some exercise guidelines for your age group here. I understand that you've been trying for a while to lose weight and not had much success, so it's best to check with your doctor about whether you need to lose weight, and if you do, the best way to go about this.

Since you are at the age of starting puberty, your thighs will naturally have widened. Not only that but we tend to inherit our overall body shape and while losing weight can help a bit, we can't drastically change our body. It's not bad that you have thick thighs though. They are just your thighs and thighs come in all sorts of shapes and sizes. What matters is how you feel about your thighs. If you don't like them, what about focusing on the parts of your body you do like?

There is no particular way that you (or anyone else) should look. As long as you are healthy, then the size and shape of your body is unique to you. Guys should like you for who you are, both in personality and your body just how it is. I notice that you tend to compare yourself to other girls at school, and because of this feel ugly, which in turn means that you aren't accepting yourself. It might help to try to avoid comparing yourself and remember that many girls probably feel insecure about themselves as well so you aren't alone. Also, be critical of any model you may see in the media- those pictures are often heavily edited to the point where the picture looks nothing like the original model.

HelpLINK and Live Help Officer
Feel free to PM me! Even if I canít help, Iím always going to listen <3
SKITTLIFY!

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
SugaCube Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Ren

Re: Do I need to lose weight??? - November 8th 2017, 01:25 AM

I feel you man, I feel like that a lot too. I don't know what else to say, but you probably are not that bad, and you're free to message me if you like. I'm not much older than you (I'm 14) so don't worry, I'm not a stalker.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
Closed Thread