TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives    The Holiday Resource

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
~Radio Flyer~ Offline
Please call that story back.

I've been here a while

Name: Violet

Breast ultrasound and gastroentologist visit - November 15th 2017, 12:18 AM

So my sister has 17 limps total on her breasts so the covers a Rion kept coming up to get myself checked too. I did a self exam and found lumps but kept saying it was just muscle tissue. Well on Monday my gp dr. Found my left breast to have both tenderness and a lump. My beasts are small in size I guess but they're quite dense and an ultrasound would be able to find out more information about my breast.

Another thing is that in March I went to the doctor and she referred to me a gastroentologist for a colonoscopy.
This is because colon cancer runs in my family. But because I'm not even 40 yet, I kind of got freaked out and never went. Well she told me that I won't necessarily get a colonoscopy and if I do, it won't be the first visit. She wants me to get comfortable with a Gastroentologist Dr and tell them my digestive issues I'm experiencing as well as my family history of colon cancer.

I supposedly don't need an ultrasound on my thyroid because it isn't thyroid cancer that my mother had. She had something else. It is a gene that she and her family members have that gets expressed as either underachieving thyroid and goiter or as colon cancer.
Unfortunately I can't find solid info on this and I heard all what I know so far from word of mouth and there's not much medical info. Apparently I found out just last month that my mother didn't have hashimoto. She had something else relating to a gene (mutation?).
Also my thyroid hormones in my blood work came out good but I don't know specific numbers which bothers me because different labs have different ways of measuring thyroid hormone and iodine level, and I actually saw many articles online about thyroid diodes being overlooked and underdiagnosed.

I'm really nervous and scared about the breast ultrasound and Gastroentrol dr.
This nervousness is coming from several anxieties such as social anxiety, anxiety in medical situations, interacting with authority/experts, general anxiety about the outcomes, anxiety about going through the procedure itself,
I also find it triggering and distressing to have to do anything remotely involving undressing or showing someone else my body, I'm just ashamed of my body and don't want to be touched or exposed.
Also I won't have anyone to go with me so I feel a bit alone. But my social anxiety is making me want to think that the less people the better because I even have social anxiety about people whom I know well and I get along with and it sucks to feel embarrassed and ashamed over people I'm supposed to trust and be comfortable around and I wind up avoiding them instead. I haven't told anyone except I think 1 person and she basically just said things like "wow" and "oh" and "are you ok?" Btw, she is a really good friend, it is me who just feels awkward about myself. Also because I get scolded for not knowing things relating to self care and body care.
And I'm also worried I might have a thyroid problem that is bring overlooked of having some kind of other physical problem.

edit: well I made the two appts. the breast ultrasound is tomorrow morning and the gastro dr is on Sunday.

Last edited by ~Radio Flyer~; November 15th 2017 at 08:01 PM.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
I'm only human...

Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Court

Re: Breast ultrasound and gastroentologist visit - November 15th 2017, 09:02 PM

I'm glad you're getting yourself checked over, that's a big step, especially with all of your anxiety. You should be proud of yourself!

As far as seeing a GI doctor, don't worry, it's nothing to be embarrassed about, and remember, there's nothing you can tell them that they haven't already heard, I'm sure. They're there to help you and if you feel uncomfortable tell them that so that way they know how comfortable you are with them. And if you have to get a colonoscopy, don't worry, it's not that bad

I have thyroid disease but it's a family thing, my grandmother has it. Have you had any of the symptoms of thyroid issues? And if your doctor said that your levels are good, I wouldn't worry too much. The first step to checking for thyroid issues is blood work, but if you're really worried you can request your doctor to test you further.

Like I said, the GI doctor has been there and done that, I mean, think about what they do on a day to day basis

If you have to get a colonoscopy and you want help or just need someone to talk to about it, feel free to send me a PM and I will be more than happy to help. I've had both an endoscopy and colonoscopy done.

As for the breast ultrasound, I hope that it all goes well tomorrow. And remember with this too: these ultrasound techs have seen all kinds of breasts and hoo hahs, so it's nothing to worry too much about. It's difficult not to worry when we are anxious, but some times you just need to lighten up and think about the funniness of some of the things your doctors and medical personnel have seen and had to do. It'll help.

Take care, let us know how it all goes!

I can do it
I'll get through it
But Iím only human
And I bleed when I fall down
Iím only human
And I crash and I break down
Your words in my head, knives in my heart
You build me up and then I fall apart
'Cause Iím only human, yeah

"Human" by Christina Perri

HelpLINK Mentor / Community Mentor
Forum Moderator / Community Moderator / Chat Moderator

Just breathe and believe.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
~Radio Flyer~ Offline
Please call that story back.

I've been here a while

Name: Violet

Re: Breast ultrasound and gastroentologist visit - November 23rd 2017, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Button Eyes View Post
I'm glad you're getting yourself checked over, that's a big step, especially with all of your anxiety. You should be proud of yourself!

As far as seeing a GI doctor, don't worry, it's nothing to be embarrassed about, and remember, there's nothing you can tell them that they haven't already heard, I'm sure. They're there to help you and if you feel uncomfortable tell them that so that way they know how comfortable you are with them. And if you have to get a colonoscopy, don't worry, it's not that bad

I have thyroid disease but it's a family thing, my grandmother has it. Have you had any of the symptoms of thyroid issues? And if your doctor said that your levels are good, I wouldn't worry too much. The first step to checking for thyroid issues is blood work, but if you're really worried you can request your doctor to test you further.

Like I said, the GI doctor has been there and done that, I mean, think about what they do on a day to day basis

If you have to get a colonoscopy and you want help or just need someone to talk to about it, feel free to send me a PM and I will be more than happy to help. I've had both an endoscopy and colonoscopy done.

As for the breast ultrasound, I hope that it all goes well tomorrow. And remember with this too: these ultrasound techs have seen all kinds of breasts and hoo hahs, so it's nothing to worry too much about. It's difficult not to worry when we are anxious, but some times you just need to lighten up and think about the funniness of some of the things your doctors and medical personnel have seen and had to do. It'll help.

Take care, let us know how it all goes!
Wanted to get back to this but have been kind of avoiding to talk about it :P
Firstly, thank you so much. This helped lots.

I got the breast ultrasound. It is strange because I felt the lump, my pcp felt the lump, my older sister who has several lumps had felt the lump but the radiologist doing the ultrasound kept making comments about me only having normal breast tissue...I felt really dismissed and like I was being a hypochondriac. So that dampened my experience when I went to the GI a few days later.
But the GI doctor was decent. She prescribed me medications that are pretty much for IBS symptoms but I don't want to take them......

She also referred me to get an ultrasound on my abdomen to check out the pain I'm having there. But I am pretty sure it is digestive related rather than cancer....
Also she mentioned me possibly having to do an endoscopy if I guess the ultrasound comes back clear? I think that's what she had said.

The breast ultrasound has been sent to my pcp later that day I had gotten it. But then, I dont see her again till February for a follow up. Not sure if I should call and ask for an earlier appt. I dont want to wait till February lol.

I dont have all that many hypothyroid symptoms. For one thing my bloodwork turned out fine. However, one big symptom is that I'm like always cold. Another thing is I have mental health issues so things like irregular sleeping and eating are like shared experiences for people with hypothyroid or mental health issues or both. As far as I know I'm not gaining weight rapidly.
I do struggle with my fatigue and like feeling sore, tired, headaches, brain fog and such.
And I've noticed that I've been having this chronic sore throat/lymph nodes feeling, strained voice, but I've always been sensitive with things and that may or may not be related to any of this. Also it could be relating to incidents that might've led to physical injury....

Anyhow, I know you're not a doctor but I was just thinking out loud if that makes sense. I know only a doctor can tell me what's going on.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Breast ultrasound and gastroentologist visit - November 23rd 2017, 02:56 PM

Hey,

Usually when a doctor gets results from a test and there is anything concerning they will call and schedule an appointment immediately. I know, my dad got blood work done and they got the results recently and had him come in because there were abnormalities. However, if you are concerned about it (which I can understand) you could call the doctor's office and ask them if they have gotten the results. I know that when results come back okay the office can usually tell you so over the phone. However, I do know that some offices are a bit weird about that and will schedule you an appointment. This has happened to me once or twice and caused me a bit of anxiety.

As for the GI doctor, it's possible that they want to do an endoscopy if things don't show up on the ultrasound to be certain that you are in good health. Sometimes things don't show up during one test or procedure but will with another one. And, in a lot of cases, nothing shows up on either test and the doctor is able to determine that you are okay.

Your best bet would be calling the doctor if you have any concerns because they can help you figure out what is causing it and, as you said, some of it might be shared with the mental health issues and the doctor would be able to rule that out. I know, for example, that stress and mental health issues can cause flare ups with IBS (this is what a doctor recently told my dad...especially stress ... and untreated IBS can cause a person to feel really crappy).

Best regards!

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

Closed Thread