TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
PoeticJessie Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Jessie

Irregular Periods - February 2nd 2018, 12:49 AM

I first got my period when I was twelve, and ever since then (I turn twenty in two weeks, so nearly eight years) it was extremely regular. For three months, I would get my period between the eighth and thirteenth of every month, and then for three months it would come between the twenty-second and twenty-eighth before switching back to between the eighth and thirteenth. Up until around eight months ago, that was exactly how it would come. The only time it ever varied was when I was pregnant, and even then I had a very light "false period" up until my miscarriage at seventeen weeks. The bleeding was not the cause of the miscarriage; that was due to being beaten by the father once he found out. After that, my cycle returned to its normal schedule and never varied, not even after my second miscarriage at eight weeks.

Around eight months ago, my cycle changed. My period would often be either a week or two late or a week or two early, but at times would still come on schedule. I downloaded a period tracking app on my phone, and it was able to somewhat-accurately predict the week it would appear. In the last six months it steadily became even less regular, and in the last three or four months has completely lost any and all claims to regularity. There is no pattern to when it comes, and I've even skipped a couple of periods (not in a row, though, or I would be concerned that my doctors were wrong about my inability to conceive a third time)

It's starting to concern me that this is going on. I never know when or if I'm going to get my period, and given that I currently live in two separate houses an hour apart from each other (I stay in one town with my mother for a week or so and then stay in the other town for a week or two and alternate due to my work and other life factors. It's a simple arrangement and it works for all involved.) The only thing complicated about my living arrangements is my period. I've taken to constantly keeping period supplies, Midol, and painkillers in my car to keep from constantly having to buy them every time. I've made an appointment with my doctor, but the earliest appointment was over a month away from now, and I really don't know what could be causing this.

It's worrisome because not only is it a royal pain in the ass, it's also an emotional roller coaster. I still have PMS symptoms at the right time, even on the months where I do not have a period, and every time I skip a period, it honestly makes me concerned that I might be pregnant, which would be a miracle as damage to my uterus and ovaries have caused two doctors to tell me that I will never be able to conceive again. So, every period that I skip gets my hopes up that maybe I will have that one last chance to have a child, and those hopes are immediately crushed when I take a negative pregnancy test.

Does anyone know what could be the cause of this and anything that I could try to bring it back under control? Birth control does not help, and it may have been part of the cause.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Online
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Irregular Periods - February 2nd 2018, 07:26 PM

Hey,

To be honest, there are so many different things that could be causing this that the only one who can determine it is the doctor. I don't want to make any assumptions and freak you out. I know, I have missed a few periods here or there and allowed myself to get freaked out but when I consulted the doctor they were able to determine what the cause was (stress and then later on birth control).

In regards to the inconvenience it causes, could you buy supplies for both houses? Since you are switching off you might be able to make those supplies last a while too. I know, I have been able to find a pack of 72 pads at Walmart and they are not overly expensive. You could split that (or any pack you might have found) and also try and purchase two different midols? I know that might be a bit inconvenient but it might be a bit easier to manage instead of trying to remember to bring it with you all the time/keeping it in your car.

I am sorry I couldn't be of more help. I just don't want to say something that could, potentially, freak you out and since I am not a professional I don't want to make an assumption.

Best regards.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Juvan2000 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Irregular Periods - February 7th 2018, 10:54 AM

Better you consult a doctor. Only they can identify the right cause.

Closed Thread