TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Let's celebrate!
(Click me to find out why.)
Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Juvan2000 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Please help me to overcome my dental fear - February 7th 2018, 11:05 AM

Hi friends, I have some problems with my teeth. My teeth are misaligned and protruded. I am much worried about this. Actually, I am scared of dental procedures. My parents have tried to take me to a dentist. But I didn't go with them. Now, the teeth are severely protruding. I can't smile properly. Last day my parents took an [edited]. I am tensed about the dental procedures. I am sure that some of the teeth have to be pulled out while putting a dental brace. I am really afraid of blood and pain. I have asked about this to my friends. They told me that nothing to worry. They know about my fear. So they may lie to me. But I want to know the procedures in detailed. What are the procedures for putting a dental brace? Is this painful? Also, share some remedies to overcome my fear. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by énouement; February 7th 2018 at 02:49 PM. Reason: As per the Code of Conduct, please do not post links leading off site.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Outside, huh?

Name: Holly

Re: Please help me to overcome my dental fear - February 8th 2018, 08:57 PM

Hey there,

Sorry to hear that you have a dental fear and that you also have protruding teeth and are facing the possibility of having teeth removed and/or having braces fitted. It's good that you want to know about the procedure though and that you've been talking to others- reassurance can definitely help!

I had to have braces for protruding and misaligned teeth when I was 15-16. It's a common problem and many young people (even some adults too!) have braces.

My adult teeth grew over my milk teeth making them protruding. For some reason, my teeth were stubborn and some didn't naturally fall out like they are supposed to. So I had to have them removed. This was done under a local anaesthetic- a numbing injection. It didn't hurt but it did feel a bit weird not being able to feel much in my mouth for a while. My dentist then pulled the stubborn teeth out. It didn't hurt at all, but it did make an odd creaking noise. Afterwards, I had cotton wool placed over the areas where my teeth had been taken out to stop bleeding (it wasn't much), and was told to rinse my mouth out with salt water after eating. I had this done when I was a teenager, so if you are an adult, it may be slightly different depending on how many teeth need to be removed and where they are.

I think it was around a year or so later that I had to go to the orthodontist for braces, but this was due to waiting lists, so it might be different in your area. The first appointment was just letting me know what will be happening in future appointments. This is a great time to ask questions or let them know that you have a fear of dental work, as they can try to support you through this. I also had some x-rays done. I think the following appointment was when I had the braces fitted. I can't remember much about the fitting, but it didn't hurt. It was sore afterwards though and I couldn't eat hard things for a little while and had to stick to soft foods. Then I had follow up appointments every 2-3 months but again this differs depending on your individual situation. During this time, the wires would be tightened each time. It didn't hurt but it did make my teeth sore for a few days. Towards the end, I had little elastic bands at the front and backs of my teeth. This was done to adjust the bite. It sounds weird, but believe it or not, you do get used to braces after a while, and it can feel odd when they are taken off.

When I did have the braces taken off (I think they use pliers to cut the wire and pull them off...didn't hurt though), I had to have a mould taken of my teeth for plastic retainers. It was a bit uncomfortable but thankfully it lasted less than a minute! Retainers are just a plastic outline of your teeth and they help to do just that- retain, or keep, the shape of your teeth. You may wear them all the time to start, and then later on you may only have to wear them to bed.

As for your fear, maybe you can try doing some deep breathing exercises to help keep you calm. Perhaps take a deep breath in for 3 seconds and then out for 3 seconds until you feel calmer. Or you can take a stress toy with you to hold onto. Or perhaps reward yourself every time you go to the dentist so that instead of worrying about pain, you can look forward to the reward. And try telling your dentist too. It's actually quite a common fear, so you aren't alone in dealing with this.

Hope things go well for you

HelpLINK Officer
Feel free to PM me! Even if I can’t help, I’m always going to listen <3
SKITTLIFY!

Closed Thread