TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount27

Edit avatar

How to train for boxing? - April 1st 2018, 04:49 AM

I'm 17 and a half and I'm a girl. I'm an average weight and I like to think I'm average in terms of strength and fitness, although I'm not sure how you'd tell. I'm also around 5'7 but I don't know if that matters. I try and exercise regularly but it's never been like special training for anything, just to stay healthy. I think I have a pretty good pain tolerance and I'm not too squeamish, only with needles. And I want to do real boxing, not the foxy boxing stuff

So here's what I want to do, I want to do like all the muscle building and fat burning by myself. My brother has a lot of equipment at home. He has weights and a jump rope which I'm gonna steal and there's a punching bag somewhere but I don't know where... I think my dad might've actually thrown it out. We also have a treadmill and an elliptical machine, I don't know how helpful they are I'm thinking I'll have to do a lot more running and hiking too, my mom says boxers wear layers of clothing when they run because it helps to burn fat quicker so I might wear my hoodie when I do that.

Once I do that, I want to take up boxing classes at the gym but I want to be at a better weight and have more strength which is why I want to train alone first. I don't know if I should try practicing punching alone first or not... I don't think we still have the punching bag.

And then, I'd like to fight for real and maybe get paid for it. I don't know if I could do it as a side job to make extra money but I'd like that. I'm studying for a different career right now so this wouldn't be the main job I do.

So... I don't know if my planning is adequate or not. I don't know like how often I should train and what I should do in that time. Also, I want to try and change my diet but I don't know what I should be trying to eat. Any advice on how I should prepare, like how often I should train and what I should do? And what should I eat?

Also, this isn't entirely related but my parents don't like women doing sports like boxing and UFC, they don't think it should be allowed so is there any way to do it without them noticing? I was thinking I'd just have to plan it for when they're at work but I'm not sure...

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly

Re: How to train for boxing? - April 4th 2018, 06:09 PM

It's good to see that you are interested in taking up boxing! It's also good that you have a lot of your own equipment too. But I'm wondering if you have thought about consulting with a doctor or qualified trainer/coach? It's recommended to get a health check up with a doctor before starting any kind of training or fitness regime. They might also be able to help , or refer you to help, in terms of what diet might be best for boxing.

It's also important to make sure that you know how to use the equipment properly and any other exercises you want to do as there is always a risk of injury. You might want to look for reputable information regarding these things.

It's definitely worth getting classes at the gym, though I understand wanting to be in a healthy starting position before attending the gym. Are there any beginners classes? Since everyone will be a beginner, there will be less pressure. That said, if you feel healthy as you are, then there's no shame in joining the classes now- you don't have to be in perfect shape to learn

As for your parents, I understand they may have some reservations and can see how this conflicts with you wanting to take up boxing. If you try to hide it, you do run the risk of being found out, so you'll have to weigh that up with being honest. If you can find a good class to join, it may help to do some research and break them into the idea and let them know how safe the training is, how qualified the teacher is etc.

Sorry I can't be of more help but hope others can help you!

HelpLINK and Live Help Officer
Feel free to PM me! Even if I canít help, Iím always going to listen <3
SKITTLIFY!

Closed Thread